Ctrl-shift-Enter - email disappears, never to be seen again

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Thunderbird
hime

Ctrl-shift-Enter - email disappears, never to be seen again

Post by hime »

I swear I've sorted through my folders, and noticed that a few messages I sent this way (eg, wait until the next send and receive, don't give me all the gory details) have just slid off the face of the earth. Am I missing something?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

When I do that the messages are queued in the "Unsent Messages" folder.

The Control T shortcut (Send and Receive All Messages) does not send them, though it does check for new email. If I right click on the unsent messages folder and select send unsent messages it works as expected. ALT F D (file->send unsent messages) also works as expected. I'm using 0.6a (20040420)

I noticed that both "Get New Messages for Current Account" and "Send and Receive All Messages" have the same keyboard shortcut (Control T) according to http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/keyboard.html. Since "file->send unsent messages" does not list a keyboard shortcut, perhaps there is none for "Send and Receive All Messages" unless you install one of the extensions.
hime

Post by hime »

I was about to ask where .6a was hiding, but I can see it's a daily build.

This seems broken - has anyone submitted a bugzilla? ALso, how do I get the Unsent Message folder to display?
hime

Post by hime »

DOH! Just found it, it's in the locals. *sigh*
hime

Post by hime »

I guess what I'm saying is, an Outbox under the individual account (or hopefully a merged inbox that covers all accounts) that gets emptied when Tbird polls every few minutes would be ideal.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I think the design philosophy has been to use local folders for the drafts, templates, unread messages etc. folders to avoid potential conflict with IMAP users. Its not practical to mix local and remote child folders under the individual account.
david835

Re: Ctrl-shift-Enter - email disappears, never to be seen ag

Post by david835 »

I disagree with this Ctrl+Shift+Enter philosophy so much that I would call this a bug. I use merged local folders so that I can share all my email accounts in the same folders. I do not use local folders for drafts, etc., I use the Draft folder for all drafts. I like merging, so each folder represents a category of messages, not a subset of an account.

This key combination is similar to others that I use with Macro Express, so over the years I have probably lost four or five messages being composed before I had a chance to finish and send them. It can be very frustrating to lose text due to accidentally typing an incorrect key combination, especially if there is no system keylogging utility running and Thunderbird > Undo will not bring back the text.

I have worked around this bug, now that I have finally found it, by adding Ctrl+Shift+Enter as a no-operation macro in Macro Express. This will now protect me from losing text as I am writing it in the future.

For me, the deleted text is actually put in the Outbox but not sent. I just discovered this, after years of using TB.

I'm glad the message is not sent, since it is incomplete, but I do worry that it might get sent in the future if it stays in the Outbox forever. That is why I'm happy with my workaround, ignoring Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

Most maintainers of products are not willing to recognize or fix bugs of this type (astonishing irritation), which limits the improvement we see in products.
](*,)
LIMPET235

Re: Ctrl-shift-Enter - email disappears, never to be seen ag

Post by LIMPET235 »

Errr, David...
Please check the date before posting.
This thread died on Fri 30th Apr 2004.

Locking this relic.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)