Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Kernel Sanders

Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by Kernel Sanders »

I would add a question mark to the end of that title, but it appears that I have no more characters :-k

Anyway, one of my first tasks when setting up firefox is to go to view--->toolbars---->customise and add the "new tab" button to the toolbar, just to the right of the home button.

So I install Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 and proceed to do just that............BUT, the "New Tab" button has vanished? It's no longer there?

Please don't tell me they've removed this feature? :(
Bluefang

Re: Where has the optional "new tab" button for the toolbar gone

Post by Bluefang »

That happened a while back. It was part of a tabbed-browsing update. Stupid IMHO, but that's the deal.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=864795
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Kernel Sanders

Post by Kernel Sanders »

Thanks for the link!

What a bizzare decision? They are removing functionality that harmed no-one, and was used by many. So all they've accumplished is irritating people like me, without providing a benefit to ANYONE else.

The mind boggles.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

They do seem to be making a lot of odd UI related decisions lately.

One thing from that topic that did catch my interest was:
Bug 347930 - Tab strip should be a toolbar instead
Though it doesn't look like it will make Firefox 3.1
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

The button is now on the tab bar. It is the blue/green '+'.
trieste

Post by trieste »

A small, nearly useless and immovable blue/green '+'.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

supernova_00 wrote:The button is now on the tab bar. It is the blue/green '+'.

It's only there if the tab bar is open; mine isn't when I have only one tab in use. There must be other things to spend time on than this idea which, from what I can see on these forums is dumb.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
supernova_00

Post by supernova_00 »

RobertJ wrote:
supernova_00 wrote:The button is now on the tab bar. It is the blue/green '+'.

It's only there if the tab bar is open; mine isn't when I have only one tab in use. There must be other things to spend time on than this idea which, from what I can see on these forums is dumb.

Well the new default for users is the tab bar always being open so those users should be able to spot the button...granted it is very tiny and hopefully they make it bigger. Can't find that bug right now though.
cdev

Post by cdev »

The main argument for this decision is to make tabbed browsing more discovorable for people unaware of the feature. I agree.
Besides, most Fx vetarans use CTRL(⌘)+T anyway.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Not very discoverable if the new tab button is unrecognisable :-k .
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
freezer1

Post by freezer1 »

cdrev wrote:The main argument for this decision is to make tabbed browsing more discovorable for people unaware of the feature. I agree.
Besides, most Fx vetarans use CTRL(⌘)+T anyway.

1. Why not provide it by default in the main toolbar immediately to the left of the addressbar? What is the problem? That it makes the addressbar smaller and clutters up the toolbar? That's a crock, because it looks quite nice on my 1024x768 screen.
2. People who don't know the Ctrl+T shortcut now have to move the mouse pointer more (to type in an address) than what is required after clicking the New Tab button on the Tab bar. How is that good?
3. Lastly, why remove the option totally and limit customization for users who want the damn button to be there?

I hate it. :( Somebody is going to develop an extension for it, which sucks because adding an extension for something like this which should clearly be a basic browser feature is retarded. :| And while being on the subject, I'd also like the option of hiding the menubar and combining the stop+reload buttons (to save toolbar space).

](*,)
ne081

Post by ne081 »

RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

cdrev wrote:Besides, most Fx vetarans use CTRL(⌘)+T anyway.

I've been using FF since version 0.x, been on this forums since 2003 and I don't agree. :!:
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I currently have a private extension that adds a few custom buttons to the toolbar and planned to add Tom Cat's code with my custom graphics to that extension. I was hoping that the UI developers would come to their senses so I wouldn't have to. My assumption is that if it isn't in beta2 it won't happen and I'll start doing the surgery on my extension.

hicaow

Post by hicaow »

im glad someone else brought this up .. i honestly tried installing beta1 , got mad cause their was no big New Tab button between my URL and search bar anymore and put 3.0.4 back on. its one icon thats been part of firefox for a long time , i love it in the toolbar , i don't like being forced to have the tab bar open all the time ..

nice extension.
removed.