[ext] NoScript 1.8 - Your Browser is YOURS

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
Amedyr

Re: [ext] NoScript 1.8 - Your Browser is YOURS

Post by Amedyr »

It's not a coincidence. I uninstalled NoScript and it started working again... and then installed NoScript again and no new windows would open.

So basically I should either wait for a new NoScript version or check which of the other extensions is in conflict with it and choose between the two?
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Amedyr:
If uninstalling NoScript makes the problem disappear, that's almost certainly an extension conflict.
Please follow Standard Diagnostic keeping NoScript enabled.
WinterKnight

Post by WinterKnight »

I just installed the latest update, 1.8.5, yesterday. Since then, the noscript box, which activates when pressing Ctrl-Shift-S, shows up in the upper left corner. Why this change? I don't like it. I've gotten used to it being the the bottom corner, next to the icon. To make things even more confusing, when you click on the Noscript icon, the box shows up in the same place that it always has, in the bottom right corner.

Feature request: NoScript has an option, Advanced->Untrusted->Attempt to fix javascript links. I would like a similar option, Advanced->Trusted->Attempt to fix javascript links. You see, sometimes a site requires javascript in order to function, and they use javascript to break links. When you middle click on one of these "javascript links", you get a blank page with something like this in the URL bar: "javascript:launchRemote('/help/contextual/listing_summary.aspx',%20'help_popup',%20'400',%20'600')". This would be fixed if NoScript had an option to fix links on "Trusted" sites, just like it fixes links on "Untrusted" sites.

I don't really differentiate Untrusted from Trusted. They are all untrusted to me. I mostly use NoScript to make the web less annoying and more bearable.
Hairy Dude

Post by Hairy Dude »

Please make the status bar popup non-sticky by default. It looks like a menu, so most users will think it should behave like a menu too, and menus GO AWAY when you select something in them. Making it stay around violates the important UI principle of least surprise and is annoying. If you don't want to make it non-sticky by default at least make it look like something other than a menu - then there won't be that expectation of behaviour.

Also please provide a preference to enable/disable stickiness. Forcing people to dig around in about:config is not exactly user friendly!
Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

Hairy Dude wrote:Please make the status bar popup non-sticky by default. It looks like a menu, so most users will think it should behave like a menu too, and menus GO AWAY when you select something in them. Making it stay around violates the important UI principle of least surprise and is annoying. If you don't want to make it non-sticky by default at least make it look like something other than a menu - then there won't be that expectation of behaviour.

Also please provide a preference to enable/disable stickiness. Forcing people to dig around in about:config is not exactly user friendly!

I have the same feeling. Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. The menu doesn't behave like a menu anymore. Maybe there is a better way to handle the multiple choices function?
"O, there has been much throwing about of brains." -- Guildenstern{alt. Gyldenstern[alt. Gyldenstjerne(anc. Gyllenstierna{knight of Lundholm})], knight of Hamlet}.
hish2m

Post by hish2m »

I'm using Firefox 3.0.4 and NoScript 1.8.5. I can't make the status bar label go away. I have unclicked status bar label in Appearance and double-checked that the noscript.statusLabel is set to false. However, the label still persistently shows in my status bar. I don't mind the popup toolbar, but I don't want it cluttering my already packed status bar with extraneous labels. What am I doing wrong? I'm a newbie with NoScript. Thanks.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@WinterKnight:
After many trials, I found that position is the only one guaranteed to be visible and usable no matter where the browser window is positioned, independently from screen resolution and browser version.
I hope you'll get used to it.

@Lundholm, Hairy Dude:
I agree on the minimum surprise principle, and in facts the sticky menu has a slightly different appearance than a "regular" menu (a 2px gray border).
Maybe it's too much subtle, I'll try to make it more evident in next version. Notice, though, that "global" menu items still behave like it was a normal menu (actually it is a normal menu, it just has some sticky items).
Regarding the behavior, being able to allow more than one site in a shot has been one of the most popular enhancement requests for a long time.
If you've got suggestions on how to do it better, you're welcome.

@hish2m:
that sounds like an extension conflict.
Could you try Standard Diagnostic?
Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@Lundholm, Hairy Dude:
If you've got suggestions on how to do it better, you're welcome.

Hi Giorgio,

That's easy.....exactly like Options. Menu item "Allow..." opens a window with check boxes allow/temp-allow for all domains, if there is more than one domain. If there is only one domain, then the menu should remain unchanged. After checking the boxes, you press OK/Cancel, and the window disappears.

Let me take this opportunity to express my growing admiration for this extension. Awesome!
"O, there has been much throwing about of brains." -- Guildenstern{alt. Gyldenstern[alt. Gyldenstjerne(anc. Gyllenstierna{knight of Lundholm})], knight of Hamlet}.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@Lundholm:
Thanks, but sticky menu (appearance aside) is still more practical:
  • Opening a menu is faster than opening a dialog
  • You don't need to aim the "OK" or "Cancel" button to exit (you can click wherever you want outside, which is something you're gonna do anyway)
  • Current sticky menu is smart enough to check if there's just one item to allow, and applies the legacy "close now" behavior in that case (like in your suggestion)
  • Sticky menu solves also another long-standing nitpick, i.e. turning temporary permissions into permanent on an individual basis: you just need to click twice, once to forbid, once to allow.
Lundholm

Post by Lundholm »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@Lundholm:
Thanks, but sticky menu (appearance aside) is still more practical:

Hi Giorgio,

UIs are a perfect source for long discussions, even better than world politics. I think maybe it is a UNIX thing to minimize the number of keystrokes. But user friendliness is more than keystrokes. :)

Let me elaborate on my suggestion:

If you move the Whitelist tab from the Options window to the new Domain window and add a Blacklist tab, then you would have a separate Domain manager. And if you add a toolbar button to launch this domain manager, who could ask for more? ;)
hish2m

Post by hish2m »

@Giorgio,

Yup! You are exactly right. It didn't occur to me there'd be extension conflict. The culprit is my StumbleUpon 3.26 positioned at the status bar. There are tell-tale signs that their method is non-standard, hmm I should bug them instead. Thanks for the fast reply! In terms of relative importance, if I were to choose between noScript or stumbleUpon, NoScript wins hands down anytime :D
FOLBlog

Post by FOLBlog »

I use a few PCs with Firefox 3.04, NoScript 1.8.5 and the same version of Adobe Flash Plugin, all installed under in Vista.
Only in one of theese PCs, when I click over the visit chart of WP-Stats (Wordpress plugin), I receive this clickjacking alert by NoScript:

Using the other PCs and doing same things, no alert is shown.
Any ideas why?
Thanks
VanillaCoke171

Ability to allow on a site by site basis

Post by VanillaCoke171 »

Hi,

No script has been awesome since I first loaded it up. Is it possible to allow on a site by site basis. I read my local newspaper online and while I wouldn't mind supporting them by allowing adds on the site, but for most sites I don't want to see the adds.
Giorgio Maone

Post by Giorgio Maone »

@FOLBlog:
Can I see the screenshot after clicking on the green-bordered image?
Is the zoom level set for that page?
If so, try to reset it (ctrl+0) and check if the problem persists.

@VanillaCoke171:
You can allow the advertising host in NoScript and block it in AdBlock Plus, whitelisting your news paper there.
Generally speaking, for advertisement blocking AdBlock Plus is much more flexible than NoScript, which is much more security-focused instead.
FOLBlog

Post by FOLBlog »

Giorgio Maone wrote:@FOLBlog:
Can I see the screenshot after clicking on the green-bordered image?

It's the same but with a red border.

Giorgio Maone wrote:Is the zoom level set for that page?
If so, try to reset it (ctrl+0) and check if the problem persists.

O cacchio!
It was the zoom!
Incredible.