going back WITHOUT reloading

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
MACpistol.com

going back WITHOUT reloading

Post by MACpistol.com »

Situation: When we hit the "back" button on a browser, why are we doing it?

Answer: because we want to SEE what we were just looking at.

Problem: hitting the "back" button on firefox DOES NOT take you back to what you were just looking at like you want, it takes you to the previous URL and reloads the freaking page, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

QUESTION: there has GOT to be a way to stop firefox from reloading the previous page when you hit the "back" button. So how do you do it? Why is it so difficult and complicated to SIMPLY GO BACK and look at what you were just looking at one second ago? Why? If there is no way to stop the damn browser from reloading when going back, then how do we communicated to mozilla developers that this is an extremely basic option that desperately needs to be added to the browser.

Forgive my anger and frustration but being able to turn the page back and look at what I was just looking at is as basic as breathing yet firefox does not allow it.

The infuriating nature of this problem is compounded by the ultra annoying warning box that if you go back you will be reentering "post data." Geez, why can't I just turn the page back and look at what I was just looking at.
LoudNoise

Re: going back WITHOUT reloading

Post by LoudNoise »

If you are getting the post data warning you are going back to a page that you entered and posted information. By going back you are resending that information. For example, if you just purchased a computer, you would be purchasing a second one when you hit the back arrow.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
MACpistol.com

Post by MACpistol.com »

If you are getting the post data warning you are going back to a page that you entered and posted information. By going back you are resending that information. For example, if you just purchased a computer, you would be purchasing a second one when you hit the back arrow.
Yes I know that. You didn't deal with my main point, that ALL PAGES ARE RELOADED when you hit the back button and it shouldn't be that way. There should be an option to go back without having the page reloaded. The whole REASON we hit the back button is to see exactly what we were just looking at. Reloading destroys that in many many instances. Far too many instances to list.

Since you only spoke about the post data warning (a secondary item that I brought up), why is post data resent AT ALL when you hit "back?" That is stupid beyond belief don't you think? Why would you EVER want to resend post data when you hit the back button? That isn't even the reason we hit the back button in the first place. Of course the answer is no one ever DOES want to resend post data and this brings us back to my main point and the core of the problem: i.e. that there should be NO RESEND, NO RELOAD, NO ANYTHING when you hit the back button. It should JUST take you back (gee what a concept) to what you were just looking at. This seems very simple to me.
jegta

Post by jegta »

Most of the time, pages aren't reloaded if Firefox is working properly. Only if the web page sets flags for not caching the page. If your history or cache are turned off this will not work. Try a new profile. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

As for the repost, every browser does it the same way.

What are your history settings? If I set mine for 90 days, press the back button the page usually will not reload. The exceptions are for pages that the browser is told not to cache and page that will reload the page but go out and load new ads.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
MACpistol.com

Post by MACpistol.com »

The exceptions are for pages that the browser is told not to cache and page that will reload the page but go out and load new ads.
I couldn't make sense out of most of that sentence, especially the 2nd half. If the browser caches the page, does it reload when you hit the back button or not?

Again, no one seems to want to deal with my central point, that firefox reloads when you hit the back button and there really is no purpose to it reloading. Has anyone made an extension to stop the browser from reloading when you hit the back button?

Forgive me for not understanding a lot of the technical talk. All I want is for the damn thing to stop reloading when I hit "back." That's it. I guess I don't understand why the stupid thing reloads SOMETIMES when you hit "back," and doesn't do it other times.
Most of the time, pages aren't reloaded if Firefox is working properly.
To me, it appears to reload EVERY TIME.

"jegta" why on earth would I need to create a new profile? It's as if you don't understand the simplicity of this problem. I just want the browser to stop reloading when I hit "back." Why do some people make this so complicated? Why have none of the developers dealt with this very simple issue?

I shouldn't have to mess with my history settings. This isn't a problem with the history, it is a fundamental problem with the browser that needs to be dealt with. You didn't even seem clear on what altering the history settings would even accomplish.

As for the repost, every browser does it the same way.
Well would you agree that it is stupid to resend when just because you hit the "back" button? Would you agree that this is a problem that needs to be fixed? By the way, I used opera a year ago and noticed that it would go back to the previous view without reloading.

I believe the browser needs to be changed to stop the pointless reloading when you hit "back." How do we tell the developers this?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

If you do not want Firefox to check the cache once a page is loaded into it, you can change this setting in about:config to 2 (never):
browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
MACpistol.com

Post by MACpistol.com »

If you do not want Firefox to check the cache once a page is loaded into it, you can change this setting in about:config to 2 (never):
browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
You didn't say whether that stops it from reloading the page or not when I hit the "back" button.
Vectorspace

Post by Vectorspace »

Firefox does already have this feature as of version 1.5 - it is called Fast Back/Forward. It saves the content and layout a set number of previous pages (maximum of 8 total with the default settings) are saved so if you hit the back or forwardbutton they are displayed near instantly. This only counts for normal, left click use of those buttons - middle-clicking them to open the pevious/next page in a new tab counts as a reload.

I don't know why it might not be working for you, but you might want to check how you have that feature set up - it is controlled by this preference:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.sessi ... al_viewers

Creating a new profile is an easy way of running Firefox with an entirely factory-default configuration without deleting your old configuration/personalisations in your original profile. It is an easy way of testing if a problem is because of some setting or customisation, and can help narrow down what the issue is.
The fast back/forward feature does work, ergo if it is not working for you it is either some customisation in your profile or something relating to the websites you view.

Once you go past the number of saved pages, Firefox reloads them - but using the cache if possible. So while it may not have to download all the content, it will have to re-render it which will be slightly slower - even if everything is loaded from the cache.
Therefore you might also want to check the preference that controls when Firefox chooses to use a cached version of a file over re-downloading the file:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache ... _frequency
Remember, this preference is for all loaded pages (not including the Fast Back/Forward feature), not just pages in your history - so setting it to always use cached versions of files would be bad.
"All things being equal, the simplest answer is usually the correct one" - Occam's Razor
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20110624 Thunderbird/5.0
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

MACpistol.com wrote:You didn't say whether that stops it from reloading the page or not when I hit the "back" button.

That does it for me. I can see by the lights on my modem that there is no reloading going on.

Post by Guest »

i need better instructions. all that info is greek to me. every time i click my back button in paypal this STUPID browser makes me reload the page.
i went to those website but there is no instructions on how to fix thie very annoying problem.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

See if this extension solves your problem.

Restore Scroll Position extension
http://www.gozer.org/mozilla/extensions/

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
mqk7a

Post by mqk7a »

Paypal is a secure site (https) and therefore blocks caching in the browser. Any use of the back button on Paypal will cause a reload. It is probably not safe to change this and allow the caching of blocked https sites. Even if you did want to, it is not easy to do.
First, you would have to set this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.cache.disk_cache_ssl to true, to cache some https sites.
However, most https sites like Paypal will STILL block caching with no-cache or no-store headers. You would have to filter those out with something like Proxomitron or maybe Greasemonkey (those are only tools - you still need to find the right "prevent no-cache" userscript to add to them).

Are you on dialup? On broadband the reloading of pages should be so fast that it is almost instant and not noticeable.
FatJohn

Post by FatJohn »

Is there an extension for anger management?

Post by Guest »

This is so stupid and such a frickin hassle, their should be no issue of wanting to return to previous page with out the hassle of having to resend, Like the saying goes some are so smart their darn right stupid, what happen to Keeping things Simple, clear cut n to the point ?