Firefox 3 - weird bookmarks menu problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Bill in CA

Re: Firefox 3 - weird bookmarks menu problem

Post by Bill in CA »

I'm having the same problem with ff 3.0.4 on win xp sp3 and all previous ff 3.x builds I've tried. I don't use kapersky and I find the bug so irritating that I'm tempted to dump firefox. The thing that really gets me is there are obviously lots of people experiencing this bug but mozilla seems oblivious.

Post by Guest »

the-edmeister wrote:The Real Player Browser Record Plugin has been mentioned in another thread as causing that Edit this Bookmark dialog to appear when clicking Bookmarks.

I disabled the Real Player Browser Record Plugin and this fixed the problem for me. Thank you so much for posting this information! =D>
Dan200

Post by Dan200 »

must I disable the Real Player Browser Record Plugin? to be honest, this was the only reason I upgraded to the new version 3. before, only version 2 supported it. is there no other way to stop the bookmark pop up? I have no kapasky or virtual keyboard. specifically, every time I close all firefox windows and open a new firefox, the bookmark problem occurs. if I have windows open then it will not reoccur until I restart firefox.
thank you for any help. I know it is not easy for all the programmers, and I know it was a push for them to add everything.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Dan200 & others,
Real have released their update for the Real Player Record extension.
Go to Real Support for it or update through the player with browsers closed.
Top of page > http://real.lithium.com/real/board?board.id=realplayer
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Dan200

Post by Dan200 »

I had updated both firefox to 3.0.4 as well as Real to the newest version. On a side note, I have disabled the function but I still get this pop up bookmark box
BaldApe

Post by BaldApe »

I am having the same problem, and I am not running any Kaspersky products AFAIK.
dan200

Post by dan200 »

I still have the problem, even though I have none of these things. I tried uninstalling realplayer also. please help
boxcar bill

Post by boxcar bill »

add me to the list of sufferers. A third of my kingdom to be free from this curse.

Post by Guest »

didn't I recently get a notice about something concerning Firefox's new one click bookmarks? That's when the problem started for me.
boxcar bill

Post by boxcar bill »

I have completely removed real player from my machine and the problem has vanished. If it comes back I'll be here to tell about it.
dan200

Post by dan200 »

ah well I can't live without the real player recording option. it's my killer app

so I suppose I'll have to downgrade to firefox 2.16 (2.18 is very slow for me)
Kai1

Post by Kai1 »

Update:

I have disabled virtual keyboard using autoruns and the problem was gone for weeks, but yesterday or so, the problem came back even though virtual keyboard is still disabled. I am using FF 3.04, Vista SP1 and I only have 3 extensions (ad block plus, foxmarks, Internet Download Manager integration module).

I even uninstalled Kaspersky and the problem still exists, so it can't be because of Kaspersky.

There is a subtle difference between the current problem and the one caused by Kaspersky. With the one caused by Kaspersky, I could replicate it since it always occured when I first opened the browser and then clicked on bookmarks. Now it still happens regularly but not as often but I can't notice the pattern.

I just hope the mozilla team can patch the problem somehow because it is really annoying...
mbarnold1940

Post by mbarnold1940 »

I don't know what kaspersky is, so I'm probably not running it, but I can't get to my bookmarks.
burna

Post by burna »

Has anyone had a problem with the history menu as well?

First click goes back one page, when I click again it then opens the normal history menu. This started occuring at about the same time as the bookmark problem.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949.
jags316

Post by jags316 »

I have the same problem, with both the history menu and the Bookmarks menu. It seemed to start right around build 3.0.3 and continued through 3.0.4. I don't think it happened with the original Firefox 3 release.