Export VCard Format from Address Book

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
calajava

Export VCard Format from Address Book

Post by calajava »

I am a iPod user with Windows XP.
we can save Address Book information to store in iPod with VCard format which Microsoft programme can do it.

my question is how can I export VCard format with Thunderbird/Mozilla Address Book?

I do it by export to other format and open it with Microsoft Address Book and then export to VCard, which is very inconvience...
mchmarny

vCard Export

Post by mchmarny »

Did you ever gen a solution to this?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

There's a vcard project at http://vcard.mozdev.org/ which is writing an extension to export/import vcards. They don't have anything available yet.

http://mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.6/README.html#new states vcard support has been added to Mozilla 1.6. Its not clear exactly what functionality they've added and when we would see it in thunderbird.
benher

The question is WHAT they mean by 'supported'

Post by benher »

By 'supported,' I believe they mean TB can read vCards attached to incoming mails and attach them to outgoing mails.

As far as I know, you cannot import/export multiple vCards in Thunderbird. (I think there would be GREAT demand for such a feature, esp. for users of portable phones, iPods, etc.) I know I could use it!

The project you mentioned to incorporate a plugin for vCard importing/exporting is either defunct, dead, or extremely behind schedule (just look at the project dates.) I've almost considered starting my own project in it's place...
Emdis

Post by Emdis »

Hi Guys,

I've got an Ipod and as I'm a software developer, I've done a little java program that allows the user to create VCF files very quickly.It should work on windows and linux without any problems. (some feedback would be greatly appreciated ! ;) )

Here is the link if you want to give it a try:
http://emdis.free.fr/convertvcf/convertvcf.jar
http://emdis.free.fr/convertvcf/windows_launcher.bat

Here is what you have to do to use it. Export your address book contacts to a CSV file and use this file with my program. As it is user friendly (at least I hope so) I didn't write a doc yet.

If you have problems using it or want me to improve something do not hesitate to contact me.
jeffrey_horner

Post by jeffrey_horner »

Also, check out the vCard to T'bird LDIF script I wrote:

www.jhorner.com/vCard2tbirdLDIF

If there's much interest, I could modify it to translate the other way; from tbird ldif to vcard
Junap

Post by Junap »

I'm also keen to get my address book backed up on my iPod, any advice on a quick and easy "export to VCF" function for Thunderbird would be most welcome.
skjelsba

Post by skjelsba »

I would also like thunderbird to support vcard. Both my sony ericsson mobile phone and my ipod uses vcard in their contactlists and it would be great to easyly synch them with thundebird!

Why not use vcard as the default format in the thunderbird adressbook, like for eksamble the adressbook in Apple's mail.app and MS outlook?
tgrier

Post by tgrier »

Emdis,

I tried using your java program. I am using xp. and when I run it ... it opens a screen (ffoxfire) .. but the screen is blank and grey...

Maybe I do not have the correct Java? .. is there an update to your program taking TB address to Vcards?

Thank you
T
T
Austin, Texas
Emdis

Post by Emdis »

Hi there ;)

It should work regardless of JVM installed on your computer.

First do you have Java installed ? I guess you launched my ConvertVCF.exe program but did you download the lang directory ?
If not you should because it contains all supported languages. (only 3 for the moment sorry about that).
By the way I tested my program on Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Fedora so this is not a windows problem for sure but I really think you don't have Java installed on your pc. If I'm wrong do not hesitate to contact me by PM on this site or by e-mail.

Best Regards
Emdis

Post by Emdis »

Ok I've updated my program, now the whole thing is compacted in a zip file, all you have to do is to unpack it wherever you want and launch the program. (in the zip file you have an .exe file if you're using windows or a .jar file if you're using linux or mac)

Enjoy

http://emdis.free.fr/convertvcf/ConvertVCF.zip
settolo

Post by settolo »

I'm really intrested in this feature (using TB+ipod).
I'm not a developer, but I can be a tester :)
I really like to have an extension for TB, but I also think TB shuold implement vcards directly.
Moreover, it can be a good idea to have some kind of integration (may be the possibility to share addressbook and/or folder with vcards) between contacts in TB and SunBird, i.e. I would like to have an event for my contacts' birthday. Before that, SunBird should be able to manage contacts...
I''ve just downloaded Emdis' software and going to try it.
Damian

Post by Damian »

settolo wrote:I also think TB shuold implement vcards.

Don't worry. They're aware of the issue - and it'll come in time. I believe the full Mozilla suite has already implemented it. I expect it will be version 3 cards (with image capability), too, which will be a step ahead of the WAB, which can only read version 2.1 cards.