Phoenix- SERVER?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Scott B.

Phoenix- SERVER?

Post by Scott B. »

I've recently installed Zone Alarm and when I start up Phoenix, Zone Alarm tells me that Phoenix is asking to act as a server then when I click "no", Zone Alarm askes if I want Phoenix to access the internet, which I click yes and Phoenix starts. Why would Phoenix want to be a server?
asa

Re: Phoenix- SERVER?

Post by asa »

Scott B. wrote:I've recently installed Zone Alarm and when I start up Phoenix, Zone Alarm tells me that Phoenix is asking to act as a server then when I click "no", Zone Alarm askes if I want Phoenix to access the internet, which I click yes and Phoenix starts. Why would Phoenix want to be a server?

Zone Alarm is confused. Ignore it.

--Asa
cdn

Post by cdn »

from what I remember of previous comments about ZoneAlarm and Mozilla / Phoenix server status, is that the server in question is a loopback for PSM - correct me if otherwise : )
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

I'm currently uninstalling ZoneAlarm after about 18 months of "faithful" service. I've had enough of it randomly blocking programs with full permission, randomly starting without a taskbar icon and doubling the size of its user interface every six months. I'm just off to search for another free firewall.

- Chris
cdn

Post by cdn »

http://www.smoothwall.org ?

but you're a Windows user (victim ?) : )
Duey

Post by Duey »

Here's a good list of Windows firewalls: http://www.outpostfirewall.com/products ... mpare.html The compare link will be obviously biased to Outpost. :)

I'm using Outpost, it's good, but it's kinda buggy. It has enough features for me that it outways the bugs.

Duey
tve

Post by tve »

Try Tiny Personal Firewall 2.0 (Free, downloadable somewhere here [click])

I have no problems with ZA though, it sometimes asks me for permission to allow PX to act as a server, and I simply click "Yes" ;)
shimage

Post by shimage »

i have read in various places that tiny personal firewall was developed by the same people that develop kerio. note the tenses. as such, it was recommended that only kerio be used hence forth. kerio is also free (do a google search, i'm lazy...).
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

I also use TPF (it was the best free one I could find some time ago when I was looking), but I believe Tiny doesn't offer its free version 2.x for download any longer. Kerio is here; the screenshots on the site look exactly like TPF. Didn't try it yet though.
mesostinky

Post by mesostinky »

Kerio is what you want.
herman

ZoneAlarm

Post by herman »

cdn wrote:from what I remember of previous comments about ZoneAlarm and Mozilla / Phoenix server status, is that the server in question is a loopback for PSM - correct me if otherwise : )

It is.
So if I´m lazy, I just allow server, when ZA asks for it,
mostly I configure ZA that server is allowed locally, but not in the Internet.
helmut

Sygate

Post by helmut »

Sygate Personal. Been working great for me for almost a year. Its free.