Win32 optimised Pentium4 (SSE2) 0.6 Release build

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
mgillespie

Win32 optimised Pentium4 (SSE2) 0.6 Release build

Post by mgillespie »

Just built my very 1st Mozilla release, using VS .Net2003, 0.6Release source, and MozJF's artwork mods. It's running pretty nifty here. Anyone wants a copy, or the screenshot of the artwork mods on Win32, see here:

http://www.mgillespie.plus.com/Mozilla/Thunderbird.htm

It's a 6.0Mb download, including nifty NSIS installer. (smaller than the official download BTW)

Comments welcome... (but be kind, it's my 1st attempt at building!!!)

Cheers.
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

Running nice but two dll's where missing: msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll
Strange that this is not with other builds...

Jan.
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

Good point, have updated the installer to include them (they are part of MS Runtime, not Mozilla).
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

And I think it would be nice to have it as a zip and not as an installer.
Normally I don't even try installers because I don't want to let them mess with my registerfile etc...
I think most people on this forum are using the zips instead of the installer what new users are using..
But the build is stable and working fine ;)

Jan.
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

Euhhh, may be a stupid question, but what is really changed in the artwork of Mozj except the about-screen??
The logo in the toolbar is nearly unvisible because of the used colors..
MozJF

Post by MozJF »

I know the icon is not really good, but my goal was to give another logo, more colorful than the good old blue bird :o)
MozJF
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

fast sjonny wrote:And I think it would be nice to have it as a zip and not as an installer.
Normally I don't even try installers because I don't want to let them mess with my registerfile etc...
I think most people on this forum are using the zips instead of the installer what new users are using..
But the build is stable and working fine ;)

Jan.

I kinda disagree, I find the 7ZIP's REALLY annoying, as they default to no particular location, and I have to manually tell it where I want to extract the files to. The NSIS Installer I used, does exactly the same, the only thing it does differently, is it remembers where you installed TB, no next time, it defaults to the same location. This means you can click past the browse install location page, safe in the knowlege it will install it to the same place as last time. Very handy for people that upgrade regularly. The compression is about the same as 7ZIP, as they both use LZMA.

I feel the NSIS installer I did, gives the advantages of the 7ZIPs (small, no baggage), with the convnience of a installer (uninstall and automatic creation of start menu items).

PS. If anyone wants the NSIS script and graphics I used, let me know...
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

I thought it was a real installer complete with registersetting etc...
But as I understand it right it isn't ??
Then it is a nice solution because it is good looking, smaller in size and as you say, it remembers the directory.

Jan.
mgillespie

Post by mgillespie »

Thunderbird does not use any registry settings, my installer creates a single value that remembers where you last installed Thunderbird.
Jadugar

Post by Jadugar »

Just downloaded it, working great for me so far and was painless. Thanks!
Can_Be_Deleted

Post by Can_Be_Deleted »

Okay Mgillespie, thanks for the info. I have downloaded you SSE2-standard artwork version and it is working fine.

I have asked it before somewhere else on the forum but Thunderbird is about 22mB at the moment and in my feeling a lot of the files are from the Mozilla-package and not used in Thunderbird. Is it not possible to remove those not-used files and to make a smaller version??!

Jan.
The Q

Post by The Q »

mgillespie, I posted in the other thread as well but to let others know here as well, your O2 SSE2 build absolutely flies on my Pentium 4 3.2GHz. I used the standard artwork version but obviously both will run equally well!

Thanks again for your efforts!
Get my current Proxomitron filters and Firefox CSS files here.