Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
ghot

Re: Removing the Java Quick Starter Add-on

Post by ghot »

I just uninstalled the whole Java update 10......that sucker will just not stop trying to phone ....somewhere....if it isn't malware it should be!
We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have been doing so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Deviouz

Post by Deviouz »

so should this Java Quick Starter Add-on be uninstalled from FF or what..??
What does it do exactly..??
How can i determine if i really even need it..??
for those who disabled or uninstalled it, did you notice anything different in the way FF operated at all..??
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Deviouz wrote:so should this Java Quick Starter Add-on be uninstalled from FF or what..??
What does it do exactly..??
How can i determine if i really even need it..??
for those who disabled or uninstalled it, did you notice anything different in the way FF operated at all..??

It just helps Java applets start quicker (supposedly). I've noticed no difference on my system since its removal.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Deviouz

Post by Deviouz »

ok, so should i just remove the Java Quick Starter Add-on or uninstall the Java 6 Update 10 altogether..??
what is the proper way remove or uninstall either one, which ever one needs to be taken care of..??
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Deviouz wrote:ok, so should i just remove the Java Quick Starter Add-on or uninstall the Java 6 Update 10 altogether..??
what is the proper way remove or uninstall either one, which ever one needs to be taken care of..??

It's up to you. I'd just remove the add-on.

Follow the directions at the beginning of this post:

viewtopic.php?p=4830145#p4830145
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.9.1esr, Thunderbird 115.9.0, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2
Deviouz

Post by Deviouz »

I went to uncheck the "Java Quick Starter" box and it was already unchecked..??
but the FF Java Quick Starter plugin is still installed though..
Should i also uncheck the box under "Java Plug-In"..?? the one that says: "Enable the next-gen java plugin"
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Deviouz wrote:I went to uncheck the "Java Quick Starter" box and it was already unchecked..??
but the FF Java Quick Starter plugin is still installed though..
Should i also uncheck the box under "Java Plug-In"..?? the one that says: "Enable the next-gen java plugin"

1) Try checking the box (with FF closed), reboot your machine.
2) Uncheck the box (with FF closed) and reboot again.

My "enable next-generation" box is checked. You should also remove npdeploytk.dll from your FF plugins directory.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
CatNut

Post by CatNut »

I have a AMD 64 Vista GeForce system, that has been running FLAWLESSLY for 3 months.
After the 6.10 Java update it would hardly run at all, total chaos.
After a few hours messing about (time out of my life I'll never get back) I restored the computer and all is well again.
I thought Sun microsystems knew what they were doing, guess I was mistaken.
Looks like they are going the Microsoft route of releasing garbage before it's even finished.
I figure Bill Gates owes me around a year. Now he is gone, Vista seems OK but now some other fools are wasting my time.
I'd be using Linux but not enough drivers for my system yet.
If I lived in the USA I'd try suing for damages and stress.

Post by Guest »

Removing the registry key got rid of the extension. Thanks!!!

Alice wrote:
Ed1 wrote:What is the purpose of the Java Quick Starter add-on for Firefox?

Not sure why Firefox needs the add-on but I found this on Java Quick Starter:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jweb/otherFeatures/jqs.html
Java(TM) Quick Starter for JavaSE 6u10

According to a post by jpj-fr in this thread, the Java Quick Starter Firefox extension is installed via the Windows Registry, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions\). There's some information about uninstalling such add-ons here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons#Windows_Registry_extension
andsaw

Post by andsaw »

you can go to click start then run go to msconfig then services click hide all micrsoft services you should see java quickstarter there uncheck that job done.
Spud05

Post by Spud05 »

I just installed the newest version of java yesterday, and noticed it put this plugin in Firefox. Then, my Firefox would hang about once every half hour. Not only would it hang, I couldn't close it through Ctrl+alt+del, it just stayed there until I restarted the computer. I disabled this addon and it hasn't done that since.

Post by Guest »

Why does Sun intall this add-on without ask the user?
It sounds like a joke and it has a taste of the worst Microsoft methods!
Why don't ask the user?
Is it so difficult?
L.A.R. Grizzly

Post by L.A.R. Grizzly »

Guest wrote:Why does Sun intall this add-on without ask the user?
It sounds like a joke and it has a taste of the worst Microsoft methods!
Why don't ask the user?
Is it so difficult?

Why does Homer Simpson have to run across the bottom of my TV screen when I'm watching a program? Why does Adobe Reader install Acrobat.com and Adobe AIR without telling you? It's just a sign of the times. Bombard everyone with garbage! #-o
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
patermann
Folder@Home

Post by patermann »

Alice wrote:
Ed1 wrote:According to a post by jpj-fr in this thread, the Java Quick Starter Firefox extension is installed via the Windows Registry, (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions\). There's some information about uninstalling such add-ons here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_add-ons#Windows_Registry_extension

On my machine, the only entry under that registry key is a Microsoft .NET plugin (also installed without asking :( ). However, I found Flash Player and Real player plugins under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\ .

I cannot find where the Java plugins are installed though. They are not in the Firefox plugins directory and I don't have the other key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions) referenced in the article above.

patermann
You can try and make a system foolproof but fools can be very ingenious!
Folding for all it is worth
Alice

Post by Alice »

patermann wrote:I cannot find where the Java plugins are installed though. They are not in the Firefox plugins directory and I don't have the other key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions) referenced in the article above.

You can use the registry key to find the Java Quick Starter extension, which will exist if JRE 6 Update 10 (or later) is installed. I have JRE 6 Update 11 installed and I have the registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\Firefox\extensions
... which includes an entry for:
Name: jqs@sun.com Data: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ff

Java plugins for all Java versions are located in the Java installation directory and are normally detected by Firefox via plugin scanning. To find out where the Java plugin files are located:

First enter about:config in the address bar (see http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config for details) and set the preference plugin.expose_full_path to true (double-click will toggle the setting).

Next, open about:plugins (see http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:plugins for details) and find the Java entry where the File name is identified as Java Plug-in <xxxxxx> for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
....where <xxxxxx> is the Java version number.

(Note that, in Firefox 3, any plugins that are disabled in "Tools -> Add-ons -> Plugins" will not appear in the about:plugins list.)

With Java JRE 6 Update 11 installed, I show this:
Java(TM) Platform SE 6 U11
File name: C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npjp2.dll
Java Plug-in 1.6.0_11 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

In other words, Java JRE 6 Update 11 is installed in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\ folder. The Java plugin being used for Firefox 3 is inside the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin folder ("Next Generation" plugin). The C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\ folder also includes the "legacy" (old-style) plugins which are used in Firefox 2.

If you have JRE 6 Update 7 or earlier installed then you would have multiple Java plugins, which would be found in the "bin" folder for that Java version, for example, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin
Alice Wyman