Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Linulo

Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Post by Linulo »

I am a happy user of Firefox. As I am setting up a new machine I would like to give Thunderbird a try. Now I am to decide whether to use Firefox and Thunderbird or the Mozilla suite. Maybe you could give me some hints what would be better in my situation and maybe you could answer some of my questions:
  • Are there localized (German) versions of Thunderbird and Mozilla?
  • Would you recommend using Mozilla 1.7 over 1.6?
  • Ist there anything in Mozilla (apart from Chatzilla and Composer) that isn't in Firefox+Thunderbird?
  • Do you like Mozilla's quickstart feature?
Thanks a lot.

P.S.: I know these questions are at least partly FAQs, but I am interested in your (brief) personal opinion rather than a diplomatic "depends" in the FAQs :).
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I would say that it's best to use the Mozilla suite instead of FireFox and ThunderBird. It consumes less RAM and it's faster that way.

* Are there localized (German) versions of Thunderbird and Mozilla?
Don't know.

* Would you recommend using Mozilla 1.7 over 1.6?
Yes.

* Ist there anything in Mozilla (apart from Chatzilla and Composer) that isn't in Firefox+Thunderbird?
Spellchecker maybe? Or DOM Inspector?

* Do you like Mozilla's quickstart feature?
I don't use it, because I don't need it. :)
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

The spellchecker and DOM inspector are both available in the new packages.

I'd personally recommend sticking with Firefox and Thunderbird. There isn't a great deal of difference between Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird (apart from the prefs panel) but Firefox is a much more able browser than Navigator. You'll constantly miss things you had in Firefox.

- Chris
fedetxf

Post by fedetxf »

Thumper wrote:Firefox is a much more able browser than Navigator. You'll constantly miss things you had in Firefox.

To me is the other way around. I miss many things from the suite in FF. the preferences panel is less complete. you have to install a few (beta and alpha) extensions to start matching the suite's functionality. Besides, for simultaneous usage, nothing beats the suite. CTRL-click in links in the mail panel and get them opened in a tab. Priceles.
johann_p

Post by johann_p »

Firefox has a UI that is in many places badly designed (e.g. the missing create tab button, the terrible preferences "tree" dialog, lacking usability options), and lacks many important features and configuration possibilities I need. For now it is definitely the suite that is preferable.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.”
yamal

Post by yamal »

I use Mozilla and I dont even use the mail-client.
Its a mystery to me why so many people like firefox better.
I think the GUI has something to do with it.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Awas, kelapa jatuh!
y3k

Post by y3k »

you can find all localised builds here http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ed-builds/
i think this is the one you want mozilla-win32-1.6-deAT.zip none of the others seem to fit.

Would you recommend using Mozilla 1.7 over 1.6?
when it hits final yes

Do you like Mozilla's quickstart feature?
not really i find it starts faster without it

oh and yes IK+ is cool but animated avatars arnt allowed here ;)
[ ♦ Win7 Firefox 19 ♦ PowerUser ♦ ]
storm119

Post by storm119 »

Another vote for Suite here :wink:

Using optimised builds branch or trunk,for now and its working great.

Never used quickstart since Suite startup faster than FX.

You dont need to installed Browser + Mail client + Other Components cuz Suite "All-In-One" browser...:)
mezziah

Re: Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Post by mezziah »

Linulo wrote:
  • Are there localized (German) versions of Thunderbird and Mozilla?
  • Would you recommend using Mozilla 1.7 over 1.6?
  • Ist there anything in Mozilla (apart from Chatzilla and Composer) that isn't in Firefox+Thunderbird?
  • Do you like Mozilla's quickstart feature?
Thanks a lot.

1. Mozilla / Thunderbird.
2. Yes, since 1.7 will be the new stable line and has more features and bug fixes.
3. There are neat themes and extensions for Mozilla which aren't availaible for Fx/Tb :p
4. Yes, but on highend machines it is not necessary. Mozilla starts up within 2-3 seconds here (2 GHz) and Mozilla Mail loads lot faster once the whole suite has started. Fx and Tb load the GRE (Gecko Runtime Environment) twice, Mozilla only once.
Vurt

Post by Vurt »

I vote for the full suite too, because, as already said, I can have url links in an email open in a new tab in mozilla browser. The mail and browser combination works well.

and yes, the Prefs control panel is fuller in Mozilla, even if it looks nicer in FF.

I'm interested to know the RoadMap for the suite though, what is the future for Mozilla? (all links appreciated!)
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

and yes, the Prefs control panel is fuller in Mozilla, even if it looks nicer in FF.

Yep :)

I'm interested to know the RoadMap for the suite though, what is the future for Mozilla? (all links appreciated!)

Mkay. Here are some related links.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=28927
http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html
What will happen next? You never know.
Vurt

Post by Vurt »

gods, thanks, I've been looking for http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html since the Site redesign!
joelee

Post by joelee »

Go for the suite too, I don't like the idea to install extensions to make mailto link works, this is just an example.
Lost User 8448

Post by Lost User 8448 »

For me, SUITE! Very fast, no bugs, perfect! ;)
Ashamanic

Post by Ashamanic »

I mostly use firefox, as it is more configurable and I can get it to take up less space - I have a small monitor. In general there seems little to choose betwen the two and thing such as URL autofill that I miss from Mozilla can be added to Firefox. I have got used to the firefox search bar and the ease with which additional engines or sites can be added