wtf firefox just deletet 15gb on my disk!!!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
den myos

wtf firefox just deletet 15gb on my disk!!!

Post by den myos »

i just removed firefox using winxp add/remove in the control panel. when it was done firefox was gone and half my disk(the same folder that firefox was installed in) (15gb) what the holy crap is that.
this cant be right.
i would like to know how mozillazine is going to replace my files.

mvh den
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

this bug?
#239722 Firefox install deletes windows system files !! (XP - FF Installer)
--The installer build only deletes files if you install a Windows Update (Or anything else that deals with important system files), and fail to restart the computer afterwards.(block FF0.9)

try doing a system restore...

Post by Guest »

WTF kind of bug is that? Thats not acceptable
den myos

Post by den myos »

im trying to recover my files with "recovermyfiles" hope it works.

"system restore" dosent recover programs files. only system files. i think
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

I agree, its a pretty bad bug, but thats the danger of using nightlies...
hope you get your files back
frease

Post by frease »

Sorry about the loss and the annoying bug. Use the zipped version in the futuer. To remove, you just have to delete the folder.
sjvilla79

Post by sjvilla79 »

zipped is the way to go.... imo
djengis

Post by djengis »

So you kept half your harddisc in your Firefox install folder and then perform an uninstall - thats just asking for trouble if you ask me.

It would be nice though if Firefox remember a list of files to delete and then only delete folders if they are empty.

"i would like to know how mozillazine is going to replace my files. "
please - you are using free, not yet finished software and perform an action that should set off all backup alarms in your mind.

I hope that you succed in restoring your files - really dataloss sucks
den myos

Post by den myos »

i installed firefox in j\programs files\firefox......... like i do with all my programs.
when u uninstall through winxp it should not delete the whole programs files folder. this is just weird.

"i would like to know how mozillazine is going to replace my files. " is was pissed

if anybody have any expriends in getting lost data, i would like to hear about it.

mvh den
djengis

Post by djengis »

Okay. Thought that the lost files were in the /program files/firefox folder.

Do you remember what version you was using and os?

I might try and reproduce on a test-install if I have the os you are running.
den myos

Post by den myos »

i used the firefox 0.8 on winxp with all the lates service packs

mange tak for hjælpen

mvh den
lister

Post by lister »

Wait a minute, the Firefox uninstaller deleted the (C:\)Program File directory?!!

Jesus! Why wasn't there a warning about this before install? Don't get me wrong, I like Firefox, but if I thought It was going to delete all the software installed on my machine if I uninstalled it, I never would have installed Firefox in the first place(a bit late for the Zip file tip)!

I always restart the PC after a windows update, Is that what happened here, den myos? Or was there another reason?

Is there some way to ensure that my files won't be lost? (besides backing them up (I have 25 GB in the program files directory and burning them onto CD would take a while (and over 30 CDs).
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

Is there some way to ensure that my files won't be lost? (besides backing them up (I have 25 GB in the program files directory and burning them onto CD would take a while (and over 30 CDs).

dont uninstall firefox, just remove the folder
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Well, another user bites the dust. This bug (or similar ones) have been there since the installer was created (if I recall correct) and I agree, fully - I can not understand why it is still there, or why the installer is still being relased.

Anyone can make a misstake but just leaving it there is not professional.

Giving the user a warning is simply not enough - I do not think that any user understands that the deletion of files involves all files - not just Firefox-files. This should not happen - and it is just too bad that we have seen more than one user being nailed by this bug.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I can not understand why it is still there, or why the installer is still being relased.

I can't understand why Ben is using a custom built installer, when there are many open source installers which could do the job cross-platform a lot better. For "a lot better" read "without deleting system files".