Full Trash Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
plinyii

Full Trash Folder

Post by plinyii »

I cannot delete any email because the system thinks my trash folder is full - it isn't - there are no visible files in it. I have tried, also, to compact the Trash Folder with no visible effect. I have temporarily created a dummy folder to which I can drag things. What next steps should I take?
Thunderbird 2.0 running on XP SP3
Thank you.
Daifne

Re: Full Trash Folder

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support

Close Thunderbird. Find and delete all of the files with the .msf file extension in your profile folder/Mail http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird including your Local Folders, especially if you are using the global inbox. You must have "View hidden files and folders" on http://spywarewarrior.com/viewtopic.php?t=272 and you need to set "hide extensions for known file types" off (just below View Hidden) if you are using Windows. For VIsta, use the XP instructions. These are your mail summary files and do not hold any messages themselves. They will be rebuilt the next time you open each folder in Thunderbird. Compact all your folders when you have completed this. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

To avoid this happening again, see the tips in these articles:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Keep_it_worki ... derbird%29
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Performance_%28Thunderbird%29
harmonp

Post by harmonp »

I have the same problem, running Vista Ultimate. The Trash folder is deleted, compacted and XPunged. All folders are compacted. All .msf files have been deleted and Thunderbird restarted. Still can't delete any messages because "The Trash folder is full." I have constant problems deleting files in this version of Thunderbird. It is so much trouble that I'm thinking about going back to OE ( :cry:) This didn't happen with earlier versions of Thunderbird.
tapestry

Post by tapestry »

I have the same problem and more (XP-SP3, T/bird 2.0.0.18). In the last few months it has been getting worse and worse. I have followed all the instructions to replace folders, xPunge, etc. which have only very temporary effects (a few messages can then be deleted). Even if the trash folder is apparently empty it can be "full". At one point the Inbox and the Trash were both empty, but occupied over 3Gb each on disk. Deleting them and allowing them to reconstitute reduced the sizes to sensible figures, but did not solve the problem. In addition, when the "can't delete" message appears, the Inbox sometimes re-indexes itself, and loads of previously deleted mails reappear - not just the ones deleted in that session, but earlier ones too. It is a total nightmare and I'm thinking of leaving Thunderbird - is there any help on the horizon?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Go into your profile and delete both Trash and trash.msf. If you are using the Global Inbox in Local Folders, make sure that you delete the ones in Local Folders rather than in your account folder.
tapestry

Post by tapestry »

OK, I did that before, as I said, to no effect; let's try again. When I now look at Local Folders there is a Trash but not a Trash.msf; I cannot delete Trash, as it is "in use by another program" even though T/b is closed. Reboot the PC, delete Trash successfully; now after restarting T/b a new pair of Trash files was created. After deleting two small text-only e-mails, the third attempt to delete was refused. I looked at the files in Local Folders, and the brand-new Trash file has grown to 3.99Gb! (the new trash.msf is 2.36Kb). I then closed T/b and trash.msf vanished from Local Folders without me deleting it, leaving the 3.99Gb Trash file. Once again. I can't delete this because it is in use by another program.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Are your accounts POP or IMAP?
What extensions do you have installed?
Are you using a backup program?
Any indexing programs like Google Desktop?
tapestry

Post by tapestry »

Hi Daifne, thanks for your help!
Accounts are all POP.
Extensions are: Xpunge 0.3, MailTweak 0.16, ImportExportTools (Mboximport enhanced) 2.1.0.1
Backup is by Memeo Autobackup 4.00.4592
No Google Desktop or other indexing program.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

I would suspect your backup program. If you deleted both those files, there is no way that Thunderbird could recreate them full like that on it's own. It's possible that your backup program is restoring them.
hakelly

Post by hakelly »

I have the same problem as the posters above, and have tried the same solutions to no avail.
Account is POP. No extensions. Backup is Mozilla backup.
In All programs>Thunderbird there is listed Thunderbird, Thunderbird(no extensions), Thunderbird(2). Sounds like 4 versions of Thunderbird.
There is only one ( v.2.0.0.1.8) in add-remove programs.
If the backup program is at fault like you say, what do I do about it?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

hakelly,
Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.
hakelly

Post by hakelly »

Daifne,
I will do that..... Since this topic already had two posters, I wasn't aware that a third on the identical subject would be a problem.
Essentially, I was asking for a clarification of your previous advice about the backup program being the problem.
Thanks
ChrisT.

Post by ChrisT. »

Something related with the Trash folder. The trash is fading, 5 or six people are using same account. Now, on attempt to delete any mail a message pops up stating - This current command did not succeed [TRYCREATE] Mailbox doesn't exist. Which obviously is meaning that the folder was deleted.

I would appreciate any ideas or hints.

Thanks in advance!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

ChrisT.,
You have a different problem. Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.
troyc45

Post by troyc45 »

I have the same problem as was first described Dec. 1st with my trash folder being described as full, although there is nothing there. I did everything you described but it still didn't work. Do you have any new suggestions?