URL Autocomplete diff in Win vs OS X?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
psugeek

URL Autocomplete diff in Win vs OS X?

Post by psugeek »

On FF for windows, i'm used to typing the unique part of a URL, e.g. yahoo, then hitting ctrl+enter to have FF put in the www. and the .com. On OS X it seems that:

ctrl+enter does nothing
command+enter does a google(?) keyword search and then redirects to the most likely URL.
shift+enter adds www. and .net
option+enter opens a new tab, then does the same thing as command+enter in the new tab.

Is there a way to enable ctrl+enter autocomplete on FF 1.0 for OS X?

I realize that just typing in yahoo and hitting enter does the same thing as command+enter, but it seems silly to me to force a keyword search when I just want www. and .com.

Thanks!
psugeek

Post by psugeek »

Ok, so after doing some more digging (which I should have done before the first post - sorry), I see that the mechanism I'm referring to is called domain guessing, and is controlled by the variables:

browser.fixup.alternate.enabled = true
browser.fixup.alternate.prefix = www.
browser.fixup.alternate.suffix = .com

When set to true, it should do what I want. But, it doesn't seem to affect either windows or OS X. Windows FF fills in the www. and the .com with domain guessing turned off or on, and OSX FF refuses to do it whether it's off or on.
T_S

Re: URL Autocomplete diff in Win vs OS X?

Post by T_S »

I love you!!! (errr...in a you-solved-my-pain-in-the-ass-problem-way...?...err?...hmmm, never mind. =)))