Mozilla Firefox 3.0.4

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Dotti

Mozilla Firefox 3.0.4

Post by Dotti »

About two weeks ago, I received the Firefox upgrade. Everything was o.k. for a few days - then things started happening. My computer would freeze up when I went to some web sites (using Firefox)...the most annoying was that I was getting popups that wouldn't go away, didn't have a space to click to close them....I just had to restart the computer sometimes to get rid of them. I would close Firefox and go off and do something and come back ... and get an entirely new Home page. One where I couldn't find Bookmarks I had saved or much of anything else.

So far I have uninstalled Firefox three different times and then re-installed it. Am I the only one with problems...who can fix them?
steviex

Re: Mozilla Firefox 3.4

Post by steviex »

I have a feeling that you have picked up something nasty....

First, do a FULL Anti-Virus Scan .....

It is also possible that you might have a spyware infection on your machine. Install and run these programs.
SuperAntispyware
AdAware
Spybot Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If these don't find it or can't clear it, post in one of these forums for specialized malware removal help:
http://castlecops.com/
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forum.aumha.org/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/ http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/

(Thanks to Daifne for the list)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.

Re: Mozilla Firefox 3.0.4

Post by Guest »

I have Norton and have done a full system scan. Next question: Is there a way to get a free copy of AdAware? I used to use it but after they started selling it was unable to get downloads. Now I can't find a free version. Same thing with SpyBot.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox yet again. Same problem with Popups....they want me to buy Screen Savers and there is no way to get the picture off the screen except close Firefox. When I restart Firefox sometimes I am taken back to the last page I was viewing before closing it down. Don't know why. Appreciate your help though.

Post by Guest »

Adaware free version is still available for home users, at Lavasoft.com choose products menu at the top, ad-aware 2008 free. Spybot is always free if you get it from the right site, as linked above.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Also, the list that steviex gave you is not a pick and choose list. You need to run all of the programs. Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are much more important here than AdAware and Spybot...
sjw54

Post by sjw54 »

I accepted the upgrade yesterday and today I got the popup to accept it again.....why? When I accepted it yesterday, went away for a couple of hours and came back to the desktop screen...assumed all was done...so far no problems...if I do have any I am in deep trouble because most of the responses you all give us I cannot make heads or tails of...I am totally stupid when it comes to computers...I have to brain to reason how, what, why they even work!
trolly

Post by trolly »

Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
dotti

Post by dotti »

I am slowly working my way through the programs recommended. I still have one problem though - when I close Firefox and come back later, it opens at the last web page I visited. How do I stop this from happening? What causes it?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Check what you have set as your "Home page/s" via,
Tools > Options > Main > Startup > Home Page.
From the "When Firefox Starts" drop down, make sure "Show my home page" is selected.

ps. You might also like to visit any one of the recommended malware removal sites
to help in checking for any trojans or virii you may have.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)

Post by Guest »

Thank you. After I posted, I did find the Home page place to check. Now ... one last question. When it asks New Pages should be opened in new windows or new tabs ... which should I check? Does it make a difference? Thanks again.
steviex

Post by steviex »

It's personal choice..... Try it both ways, and see what you prefer... Some people love tabs... others hate 'em....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.