A Flash and Shockwave Automatic Installer - Need Opinions

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
sexycatsinhats

A Flash and Shockwave Automatic Installer - Need Opinions

Post by sexycatsinhats »

Firefox Flash and Shockwave Installer (~3.0Mb)
DL >> http://www.sexycatsinhats.com/firefox/p ... tuprc2.exe

Current State: RC2 v 0.9

Features:
Automatically Registers Firefox with plugins
Flash? Shockwave? Register them with Firefox? All of these components are optional
No bloat, These shockwave files weigh 1.2mb less than the originals
Will uninstall all traces of files that you installed

Todo List:
Find bugs

Targets for v1.1:
Option to close and reopen browser
Option to 'Repair Plugins' for newly created Firefox folder that has been previously erased
Shockwave Lite and Full versions
If user has selected 'Program Files' as install path, installer should check in path for firefox.exe - If firefox.exe doesnt exist, prompt with an error.

Targets for v2.0:
Installer will be web-based. All components can be downloaded from the web individually. You will also be able to choose from each of Shockwave's components.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'll never quit working for a nice community like this.

Some questions before the final:
What do you want the installer to look like? How about graphic-wise?
What options do you like/hate about it?
Have any ideas or suggestions?
Last edited by sexycatsinhats on May 11th, 2004, 11:16 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Does this installer require registry entries in order to determine where Firefox is and where it's plugin folder is? If so what are they?
sexycatsinhats

Post by sexycatsinhats »

Zulithe wrote:Does this installer require registry entries in order to determine where Firefox is and where it's plugin folder is? If so what are they?

The installer asks you to specify your current Firefox directory, so you won't run into these issues.
The Q

Post by The Q »

Thankyou!!

Maybe Macromedia should give you a job for effectively doing what they seem unable to do for so long now....

Well done!
Get my current Proxomitron filters and Firefox CSS files here.
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Sorry, but it doesnt seem to work for me. Running a Win98 AthlonXP with the yesterdays nightly build. Ran your installer, seemed to go through fine. In about:plugins flas is listed (but not shockwave). Went to www.shockwave.com and it tells me that I need to install the flash player. Went to a different site that needs shockwave and it pops up with the dialog about gettng hte plugin. Not sure if its related or not but firefox suddenly started to run awful slow while it was looking for shockwave.

Mossop

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8a) Gecko/20040509 Firefox/0.8.0+
Mossop

Post by Mossop »

Ok cancel that, I figured out what my problem was. The installer build I used installed to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox. When I ran your installer, used browse to select the ase directory I of course selected that directory. What I didn't do was check that thats hat the input box listed after I had hit ok in the browse window. It decided it was going to install to C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox. Once I corrected its little mistake it worked fine.

Mossop
The Q

Post by The Q »

mossop, I noticed this too, although I caught it and corrected it before I installed.

Darkstar559, perhaps you can check your code so that the directory the person selects doesn't get "Firefox" appended to its end if they pick C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox" for example?

Other than that it works like a charm!
Get my current Proxomitron filters and Firefox CSS files here.
sexycatsinhats

Post by sexycatsinhats »

Alright, Thanks everyone. Right now I'm changing the code so it will automatically find your default firefox directory and use that. Also, the 'automatically adding the Firefox folder to an existing path' bug should now be fixed.

Now what has been really bugging me.. should I give it a name or use the basic 'Firefox Flash and Shockwave Installer v1.0'?
SwampFan

Post by SwampFan »

Darkstar -

Nice little prog and it serves a great need - super job. About the name - nothing wrong with what you have, although I can understand if you want to to shorten it. Maybe "Flash & Shock" ?
finuvir

Post by finuvir »

'Shock and Awe'?

I'll get my coat...
psyclapse

Post by psyclapse »

I personally like "Firefox Macromedia Installer v1.0", as both products Macromedia delivers are in one package, and for Firefox. Also, when people don't feel like typing out the whole name they can just refer to it as the "FMI Installer"...
psyclapse

Post by psyclapse »

Darkstar559 wrote:Alright, Thanks everyone. Right now I'm changing the code so it will automatically find your default firefox directory and use that.

You can do this? What will the program do, just look for the version of Firefox that is the default browser at that moment? The reason I say this is because I can imagine some folks are using a multiple builds on their PC, all in different directories...
sexycatsinhats

Post by sexycatsinhats »

psyclapse wrote:
Darkstar559 wrote:Alright, Thanks everyone. Right now I'm changing the code so it will automatically find your default firefox directory and use that.

You can do this? What will the program do, just look for the version of Firefox that is the default browser at that moment? The reason I say this is because I can imagine some folks are using a multiple builds on their PC, all in different directories...

Thats a very nice idea! Thanks I'll get to work soon an in the meantime, here's beta 2: http://www.sexycatsinhats.com/firefox/pluginsetupb2.exe

Changes:
Fix 'Automatically Adds /Firefox to your Path' bug
Changed UI a bit
Some other minor stuff
psyclapse

Post by psyclapse »

Shockwave and Flash have never been so easy to simple install/uninstall/reinstall. Great work!
McLaren

Post by McLaren »

Darkstar, this is fantastic, but one question. I am a minimalist and was wondering if Shockwave absolutely needs 8.3MB, or could it be trimmed down?

Again, great work.