[FX & TB] MOOX: 2004.10.22 - [Win32] (Optimized)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
moox

[FX & TB] MOOX: 2004.10.22 - [Win32] (Optimized)

Post by moox »

THIS THREAD IS MOVING >>> GO HERE NOW!
Starting tomorrow, 2004.10.25, I will no longer be posting updates pertaining to my builds at mozillazine.org, pryan.org, or firefox-browser.de. I have worn these forums out with some rather long threads and I figure I might as well step up and begin hosting my own forum to discuss my builds and related issues at moox.ws. The direct link is http://moox.ws/forum

Please head over there, register and watch those forums for announcements relating to my builds. I will watch here for the next week or so and remind people posting here to take the conversation over to the MOOX forums, but after that, I will not be here that often (other than lurking).

=================================

My builds are pulled directly from CVS (both TRUNK and BRANCH/AVIARY) and built using the free Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit. The builds are permanently hosted at MOOX.WS. I design my builds for stability and speed and am currently making two verions based upon included code optimizations for particular CPU architectural instruction sets. Because of the differences in instruction sets, I am have refined my old build naming scheme and adopted the following one instead:

M3 Builds
M3 builds are highly optimized builds that also contain code optimized for the SSE2 instruction set. Given the nature of M3 builds, they are designed only for the following processors that support SSE2:
  • AMD Opteron
  • AMD Athlon FX
  • AMD Athlon 64
  • AMD Sempron (3100+)
  • Intel Xeon
  • Intel Pentium M
  • Intel Pentium 4
  • Intel Celeron (1.7GHz - 2.8GHz)
M2 Builds
M2 builds are highly optimized builds that also contain code optimized for the SSE instruction set. Given the nature M2 builds, they are designed only for the following processors that support SSE:
  • AMD Athlon XP
  • AMD Athlon MP
  • AMD Sempron (2200+ - 2800+)
  • AMD Duron (1.0GHz - 1.8GHz)
  • Intel Pentium 3
  • Intel Celeron (533MHz - 1.4GHz
M2 builds will also work on any of the processors specified under M3 above as well as some older CPUs including Athlons, Pentium Pros, Celerons (1.0GHz and older), and Durons (1.0GHz and older).

M1 Builds
M1 builds are generally optimized builds that also contain code optimized for the MMX instruction set. M1 builds are targeted for the following processors:
  • AMD Athlon
  • AMD K6-2
  • Intel Pentium 2
  • Intel Pentium Pro
  • Intel Pentium

If you are uncertain what type of processor you have or what instructsion set(s) your processor supports, you can use the following utility to identify your CPU: CPU-Z. Download this utility, unzip it into a temporary folder, and run the .exe file. In the resulting window that pops up, check the output for 'Instructions' to confirm your processors capabilities.

The builds you download from MOOX.WS are not installers. They are self-extracting zip files (compressed with 7z) that will extract to the folder \Firefox or the folder \Thunderbird (unless otherwise specified).

As always, if you download one of these builds, please let me know what you think about its performance, problems, missing features, etc!

Also, if you have custom build requests, please PM me!
Last edited by moox on October 27th, 2004, 9:36 am, edited 108 times in total.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Moox, I tried May 7 and all looked OK while I loaded in my usual 40 or so extensions. Usually just running a build long enough to take a couple of hours to load in so many extensions gives me a good idea of how the build will perform.

When I tried to load in Tabbrowser Extensions, however--in alphabetical order, toward the end--your build refused to come up any more, giving me a crash notice right after ProfMan. This doesn't reflect on your build, though. It's doing exactly the same thing on the official build as well.

It's a very very old malfunction. There have been a lot of builds along the way that were okay with the process, and many that weren't. These days I do it more for a test than for practical function. I imagine it's possible to get the thing corrected when it doesn't load right, but I haven't delved that far into it.

I've been away for a month, too, so maybe I've missed something. Anyway, up to there, your build was working just fine. I was just doing a bit of browsing on it as I went along, and it seemed excellent.

I'm now trying your May 9 build, with Tabbrowser Ex loaded first--which works--and the many other extensions to be added in after. I use clean new installs, so it takes a long time. I'm keeping an eye open for a culprit that will get in the way of everything else, as I go along.
Main box XP32 and XP64, using FF 3.6, K-Meleon, IE8, and OffByOne.
This is a home-built AMD Athlon x2 5600+, 8GB GSkill @ 800, 1.7TB on 4 SATAs, 3 ODD. No gaming; just a workhorse
Others in home Eee 901 with XP32 SP3; also Asus F3T with Vista
daledude

Post by daledude »

Nice build. Been using it for almost an hour. First build I've used where gamespot.com images don't flicker all over the place as the page is loading. And my adblock extension is working again which stopped letting me add blocks around 3/29/2004 build. Signed up just to let you know this ;)

Using BRANCH_P4_AXP on:
P4 2.4ghz
512mg ram
Windows XP/SP1/NTFS
ehume

Post by ehume »

Nice build. Using MozillaFirefox_20040509_BRANCH_P4_AXP on P4 2.4GHz 1.25GB RAM Win XP Pro SP1 NTFS--nearly identical to above poster.

I also note that this build does not slice out lines so that some characters look weird. Most optimized builds do that.

[edit]Thanks for doing branch builds.[/edit]
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Kraftwerk

Post by Kraftwerk »

I like it. In fact, I think I'll keep this build for a while (unless I bump into something disturbing, but everything seems to be working just fine & it's fast as well)
ehume

Post by ehume »

It's now my workaday build. That good.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Fine build. I like the new closbox button ;)

Also Adblock is working fully now.
Nitrile

Post by Nitrile »

is the p4/axp build oxp gaf7s?
mmoy

Post by mmoy »

The sse changes are in the 3G build in the source directories. These are the whole files; didn't have time to do patches.
Dell E521 X2 5600+ MacBookPro 17'' 2.5 Ghz Penryn Dell M1330 2.0 Ghz Merom 4 GB Vista x64 Compaq r3000z AMD 64 3200+ (Win 32/64) PowerMac G5 1.8 Ghz MMOY-1.5 (OSX 10) Inspiron 8500, 4100, 4000, Dimension 2300 MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz HP E6600 HP X2 4400+
CaptnBlack13

Post by CaptnBlack13 »

Testing the "BRANCH_P2_P3' working very nicely so far.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if using an executable compressor (such as ASPack) would have any negative effects on
optimized builds ?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win 9x 4.90; en-US; rv:1.7.2) Gecko/20040817 Firefox/0.9.1+ (djeter)(1.6Gig Duron-Applebred 384 DDR)
moox

Post by moox »

Nitrile
Yes it is.

mmoy
Thank you!

CaptnBlack13
I do not know the answer about ASPack, but it is something I am curious about. I might give it a try and see...
noigeaR

Post by noigeaR »

a very nice and fast build. it's nice to have optimised branch builds because the trunk is too buggy for me at the moment.
thanks moox :)

-------------
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040509 Firefox/0.8.0+ (MOOX)
thenightfly42

Post by thenightfly42 »

I like it; the trunk is getting too squirrly for me. Two questions:

1. I want to undo the ui.submenuDelay preference that you set to zero. What is the default value for this? I can't seem to find it.

2. I can't right-click a bookmark to edit the properties. Was this only fixed on the trunk?
moox

Post by moox »

thenightfly42 wrote:I like it; the trunk is getting too squirrly for me. Two questions:

1. I want to undo the ui.submenuDelay preference that you set to zero. What is the default value for this? I can't seem to find it.

2. I can't right-click a bookmark to edit the properties. Was this only fixed on the trunk?

For ui.submenuDelay, try 50 or just delete the line from firefox.js for it to revert to default.

As for the bookmark problem, I cannot replicate that problem. Are you using a new/fresh profile? If not, try it under a new profile.
redpop

Your Branch build

Post by redpop »

I installed your "BRANCH_P2_P3" and am running it now on an older Duron 800.
Very Nice!. Many thanks; I have been having trouble finding builds for this old thing. :>)