problem opening pdf file in firefox 3.0.4

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Lupe

problem opening pdf file in firefox 3.0.4

Post by Lupe »

I apologize if this has been answered already but it's difficult to search thru hundreds of topics.

For some reason, I am unable to open a pdf file in my firefox 3.0.4 browser. Within the browser, it opens up as a document with symbols and letters, etc. - not as a pdf file. However, after it downloads, I go to the document in my download folder and click on "open with", I click on IE and the pdf file opens in IE. It used to just open up with Acrobat Reader while in the firefox browser, but now. I've looked thru my options/applications tab & clicked on anything that had adobe acrobat document as the content type & marked it as open with adobe acrobat 9, but it doesn't work. I've only experienced this problem once before a couple of months ago but not since then - until today, 11/13/08. I'm not too computer savvy but I can try to follow specific directions if someone can help. Thank you.

lupe
Lupe

Re: problem opening pdf file in firefox 3.0.4

Post by Lupe »

I've tried everything; uninstalling & reinstalling adobe reader 9; installing from your link; changed options to open in firefox; changed options to open in adobe - nothing works. I cannot open a pdf file in the browser. RE-SENT WITH ADD'L INFORMATION

I kept trying different things and finally got it to work. I went to "Add-ons" in the tool menu. It had an add-on for firefox called "PDF download" from Nitro. I assumed it was from Firefox because "Add-ons" was in Firefox's tools menu. Is Nitro a Firefox product?

Anyway, I installed it. Then when I went to open the pdf document in firefox, it asked me "download it", "open pdf", and "Bypass PDF download". Then I saw "PDF Download - options" in the tools menu. That allows me to determine how I want to open pdf files.

I was extremely frustrated because the inability to open a pdf file in the browser just happened and prior to the update of firefox, I was able to open pdf files in the browser without a problem. I guess I should have looked at add-ons but I didn't know what it was until now.

My problem seems to be resolved now & I hope this information will help someone else.

Post by Guest »

Same problem. Now I have to open the pdf file in the Adobe Reader instead of in the firefox browser.

Post by Guest »

First - get rid of that piece of crap Adobe Reader and download a FREE copy of Foxit Reader here: <url>www.foxitsoftware.com</url> and install it. You'll wonder why you didn't get it years ago. PDF Downloader works perfectly with it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have the Skype Toolbar?

Post by Guest »

I teach a course to nearly 200 students. The inability to open PDF documents in the browser is a MAJOR FLAW. Sorry, I can't tell them to download "Foxit". The solution is to tell them to forget Firefox and to use IE until this problem is fixed. It used to be possible to open PDFs in Firefox....what happened?
Lupe

Post by Lupe »

I "was" able to view pdf files in the firefox browser in the past prior to the last firefox upgrade....I'd also like to find out why it's not possible now.
4sp2b

Post by 4sp2b »

For most people, Firefox can still view PDFs in the browser. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled adobe reader?

Also, as here http://kb.mozillazine.org/Adobe_Reader , try unchecking in adobe Display PDF in browser, and then check it again..
Guestxcvc

Post by Guestxcvc »

I have a similar problem - the Acrobat Reader works with same PDFs but some cannot be opened with FF3.0.4 and the Acrobat Plugin (e.g. http://webdisk.planet.nl/duijs008/publi ... Energy.pdf does not work). I already uninstalled Acrobat Reader but this did not change anything...
Guestxcvc

Post by Guestxcvc »

Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Guest wrote:I teach a course to nearly 200 students. The inability to open PDF documents in the browser is a MAJOR FLAW. Sorry, I can't tell them to download "Foxit". The solution is to tell them to forget Firefox and to use IE until this problem is fixed. It used to be possible to open PDFs in Firefox....what happened?

What is wrong with opening a document in a helper application? You can still read it from there, and you get the full application interface that way.
jimwest

Post by jimwest »

I am having the exact same problem for several months now with Firefox 3.0.X and now 3.0.4. However, if I open a pdf file using IE tab extension addon for Firefox, it opens with no problems in the IE tab.

Other posters have questioned, "What is wrong with opening a document in a helper application? You can still read it from there, and you get the full application interface that way."

The problem with this, is if there is a large manual or parts catalog online, you must download each PDF section link to view it in an external viewer. I don't want to download all the PDF files I don't need, and I don't know which files I need until I look at the PDF files in the first place. It's a catch 22. By-the-way, I tried turning off all addons, and even tried the new Firefox Beta versions. I also uninstalled and reinstalled Adobe Reader. No luck.

Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, and other browsers work fine for opening PDF files within the browser. My computer is running Windows XP Professional 32bit Service Pack 3 with an AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor, 2.50 GHz, and 3.37 GB of RAM accessible (actual RAM is 4 GB).

For now, either I use Google Chrome at times when I know I have to look at a lot of pdf files online, or I make sure I right click on a pdf file to open in IE Tab before I actually open it in the Firefox browser.

Anyone have an idea of what it could be? :?:
Guestxcvc

Post by Guestxcvc »

@Jimwest - I have the same experience with IE tab...

@Anonymosity - It's quite annoying if you search through tens or more PDF-files on the WEB (e.g. ieeexplore) and you have to download all PDF-files before being able to view the file. The only solution is with the IE tab - but that should not be the final solution...
jimwest

Post by jimwest »

Acrobat Reader Crashing Firefox 3.0 Problem Update

Firefox 2.0 version works on my computer to open a PDF file inside the browser environment but does not work with Firefox 3.0 versions.

Tried downloading an older version of Acrobat Reader, and still the latest version of Firefox 3.0 crashes. Even the new Firefox beta versions crash on me too. I also tried removing all Firefox beta versions, and still Firefox 3.0 crashes completely, closing down all windows abruptly.

This Firefox 3.0 bug with Acrobat Reader crash really is bugging me. I feel like I'm hitting my head against a Firefox brick wall. ](*,)