Problems installing Thunderbird

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Stephen Sands

Problems installing Thunderbird

Post by Stephen Sands »

I am trying to install Thunderbird but a message keeps coming up " Thunderbird.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Please tell Microsoft about this problem.

No matter what I do I cannot install Thunderbird.

Any ideas please.

Steve
DanRaisch

Re: Problems installing Thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

Clear the browser cache and the Windows Temp directory.
Delete the directory C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird
Shutdown any anti-virus software you are running.
Download a new copy of the full installer from www.mozilla.com
Run the installer.
Restart the anti-virus program.

Note that your saved messages, settings, passwords, etc (if any) are stored in a different directory from the program files and will not be removed by deleting the directory identified above.
Stephen Sands

Post by Stephen Sands »

Thanks Dan, but that's a bit technical for me. Can you put it in easy to understand words!

I see there is a free download for fixing exe problems at Reg Cure. Do you know if it works?

Many thanks.
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Do NOT install Reg Cure.

1. In Firefox, go to Tools>Options>Privacy and look down at Private Data. First click on Settings and uncheck everything except Cache. Click on OK and then Click on Clear Now.

2. Go to My Computer and open the C drive. Find Program files and open it. Find the Mozilla Thunderbird folder and delete it.

3. Shut down your antivirus program. I can't give you more detailed instructions on this without knowing which one you are using.

4. Go to http://www.mozilla.com in your browser and download a new copy of Thunderbird.

5. Double click on the Thunderbird.exe file that you just downloaded to start the installation of the program. Follow all the prompts.

6. Restart your antivirus.
abigailskatz

Post by abigailskatz »

I'm having trouble with this as well-
When I try to delete thuderbird from my program files, the removal begins and then says "cannot delete...access denied" Any ideas?
thanks!
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

abigailskatz,
Please start a new topic. These issues can get quite involved and helping more than one person in a topic just confuses everyone. Thanks.
yogi63

Post by yogi63 »

Daifne wrote:Do NOT install Reg Cure.

1. In Firefox, go to Tools>Options>Privacy and look down at Private Data. First click on Settings and uncheck everything except Cache. Click on OK and then Click on Clear Now.

2. Go to My Computer and open the C drive. Find Program files and open it. Find the Mozilla Thunderbird folder and delete it.

3. Shut down your antivirus program. I can't give you more detailed instructions on this without knowing which one you are using.

4. Go to http://www.mozilla.com in your browser and download a new copy of Thunderbird.

5. Double click on the Thunderbird.exe file that you just downloaded to start the installation of the program. Follow all the prompts.

6. Restart your antivirus.

phew, this finally worked after a stressfull afternoon trying. thanks!