I can't scroll using my laptop touch pad with new version

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
coreyand1

I can't scroll using my laptop touch pad with new version

Post by coreyand1 »

I can scroll just fine with mouse however when using laptop touch it will not!!! help!
name already taken

Post by name already taken »

Find the latest drivers available for the touchpad.
"It burns like hygiene!"
GiacomoGo

Post by GiacomoGo »

name already taken wrote:Find the latest drivers available for the touchpad.
I have MFF 1.5.0.1 on HP Notebook Pavilion zv6000 which has a touchpad (Synaptics driver updated to the lastest available from HP Support). I've configured the Touchpad to enable "Virtual scrolling" which allows me to scroll with up/down & left/right gestures on the right & bottom margins respectively.

This touchpad virtual scrolling works for ALL my Win XP windows/dialog boxes/etc plus all other Application windows/dialog boxes --- EXCEPT FOR FIREFOX windows, regardless of how many scrollable frames are in a Firefox window. I've toggled just about every possible Touchpad option independently to find a solution (including all suggestions in prior MozillaZine/Forum posts such as "scroll item under pointer" versus "scroll selected item").

Firefox simply seems incompatible with some touchpad scrolling -- and checking the MozillaZine & Forum archives, this is not a new problem. It seems chronic especially for Synaptics drivers.

Any chance of settling this once & for all?
Browsing is really horrible without scrolling.
Last edited by GiacomoGo on February 25th, 2006, 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
GG
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

Use the latest drivers at synaptics. HP is not providing the latest. Synaptics has fixed their bug in their latest.
GiacomoGo

Post by GiacomoGo »

teoli2003 wrote:Use the latest drivers at synaptics. HP is not providing the latest. Synaptics has fixed their bug in their latest.
HALLELUJAH!!

Firefox is completely vindicated! After 6mo of thinking that frustrating scrollbar dragging was simply the price I had to pay for a better browser, it turns out the problem was indeed the Synaptic driver.

If you have this same problem, ignore your manufacturer's driver (Even though Synaptics advises otherwise). The latest driver -- directly from Synaptics -- WILL SOLVE your touchpad virtual scrolling problem:

http://www.synaptics.com/support/drive.cfm

Many thanks to "name already taken" & "teoli2003" !!

(Now if I could just break this absurd habit of mousing over to the scrollbars & dragging them ...)
GG
spring1onu

Post by spring1onu »

HALLELUJAH is right!!! I was having the exact same problem and now I'm good to scroll! :D

Post by Guest »

THANK YOU!!! i thought i was going crazy. i had flipped every setting inside out on my laptop and additional options i had downloaded... i'm glad i finally looked here. HP was no help at all. Synaptics upgrade has me working wonderfully...
old FatJohn

Post by old FatJohn »

You guys should proceed to kick some major HP butt over this is those HP suckers 'don't know what's going on, must be a Firefox thing' this...

Thanks!!!

Post by Guest »

I tried your solution and it worked great!! I am much happier now that I have my scrolling ability back...thanks!!!
Help...

Re: I can't scroll using my laptop touch pad with new version

Post by Help... »

I think my computer is really messed up.. When ever i use my touchpad it has a mind of it's own and it goes crazy..Also i think this is the really bad part, whenever i get caps lock it makes a weird noise. It scares me i think my laptop is broken and it's not a year old. Also it's Windows xp... HELP! ](*,)
LIMPET235

Re: I can't scroll using my laptop touch pad with new version

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Help...
Did you happen to notice the date of the last post?
This is a 1 + year old thread. Let it R.I.P.
Start a new thread.
Thanks.
Locking.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)