[Ext] Foobar Controls 0.3.1

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
BenBasson

[Ext] Foobar Controls 0.3.1

Post by BenBasson »

Foobar Controls 0.3.1
Updated: 29/03/2008

What it does:
Allows you to control the Foobar2000 Mp3 player from the Firefox window. Apologies to Mozilla users, but this is only available for Firefox right now.

The main Foobar buttons (Stop, Pause, Play, Previous, Next, Random) are added to the Toolbar Customisation Palette for you to drag wherever you like... for example:

Where you can get it:
http://www.cusser.net/extensions/foobar/foobar.xpi

Future enhancements:
- Show currently playing track in statusbar (when the cursor is moved over one of the buttons).

Release history:
0.3.1 - 29/03/2008
- Updated for Firefox 3.0
- Tri-licensed
0.3 - 19/08/2006
- Updated for Foobar2000 0.9.x
0.2 - 27/10/2005
- Minor theme tweaks
- Version bumped for 1.5
0.1 - 17/05/2004
- Original Release
Last edited by BenBasson on October 27th, 2005, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mai9

Post by mai9 »

great, thanks for the extension.

maybe you prefer to use a tooltip to show current song, so we don't have to look up and down to read the song.
frease

Post by frease »

Brilliant! What about making one for winamp too?
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

maybe its a good idea to use the playback icons from arvid, http://www.quadrone.org/graphics/, so it will fit better with the default qute theme...
Mitch Gant

Post by Mitch Gant »

^^there's a winamp plugin that does exactly that > http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=9316
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

Crap, I forgot that my 5/10 nightly build doesnt seem to like extensions. Oh well. It seems too early for me to start using this anyway. I'll wait for the nightlies to get more stable and for this extension to get some new buttons and functionality before I would have any reason so use it.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

mai9 wrote:maybe you prefer to use a tooltip to show current song, so we don't have to look up and down to read the song.

That's a possibility. It'd be gross abuse of a tooltip though... hmm... nevermind! :D

frease wrote:Brilliant! What about making one for winamp too?

I'd love to, but Winamp doesn't work on my PC (crashes on startup or when I play a track)... however, if Winamp can take command-line parameters for these button functions, porting this extension for Winamp would take someone a few minutes.

sboulema wrote:maybe its a good idea to use the playback icons from arvid

Hmmm... Perhaps. I'll mail him and see if he's interested in making some icons, I'm not really sure I like his current ones, and they're 16x16px in size only. I've left the extension themeable (I think), so if theme authors are willing to add to what I've done, they can. I pulled the current icons directly from Foobar and they seem to be an adequate set to start with (generic and blend well with most themes without too much uglyness). If Arvid is willing to make some icons, I'll have two sets and a preference by default.
MonkeeSage

Post by MonkeeSage »

Another awsome extension, Cusser! Only caveat is that there is no foobar for *nix. So I made two adaptions of the extension -- one for XMMS and one for Totem.

XMMS Controls v0.1
This extension includes all of the same buttons as the original extension excepting the 'random' button.

Totem Controls v0.1
This extension includes only 'play' (the same button is also 'pause' if Totem is already playing), 'next' and 'previous' due to the limitations of them Totem CLI.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G
"[M]en are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds." --John Oman
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Nice one! :D
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

I looked into WinAMP, just out of curiousity and as far as I can tell, without an external program it really doesn't use the command-line for much at all, which is rather foolish. It can interpret windows messages but that's about it. All it can do from the command-line apparently is add songs.

At least, that's what I learned from this resource.
jedbro

Post by jedbro »

Cusser, what about making this extension a la cutemenus dev where it can easily adapt to add-ons.
That way you could have a general "base" called foobar while others could write "addons" instead of having to re-package the whole extension.
Rowne Mastaile
Location: Housed in a swirling neosma of scintillating thought and turgid ideas.

Post by Rowne Mastaile »

As I understand it, this extension works on a similar principle to DownloadWith; wherein a program is specified and then each button calls a specific command-line parameter from that program. So pressing play would find foobar.exe and then parse it with "path\foobar.exe /play" (or however it works). If that's how it works, then it might be possible to turn the solidified Foobar aspects into variables that could be specified from about:config, so a person could specify their own path and executables and then their own switches.

If you wanted to go the whole ten miles (so to speak), you could use DownloadWith's code to prefetch settings from a server, then folks could submit params to be added to the main file so new players could be added quickly.

Just a thought. Though it's probably too complex for this kind of extension.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

jedbro wrote:Cusser, what about making this extension a la cutemenus dev where it can easily adapt to add-ons.
That way you could have a general "base" called foobar while others could write "addons" instead of having to re-package the whole extension.

Well, there's a pro and a con to that idea:
Pro - it'd be very comprehensive and only require a single extension install
Con - it's probably a lot easier to write an extension on it's own for each player as requested, based on this extension.

It's certainly a possibility that I won't rule out, but it's not something I'm really interested in doing anytime soon. I'll be revisiting most of my extensions and adding features some time after 1.0, until then, I'm only going to be tackling small extensions here and there.
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

Any chance of updates to this extension? If you somehow managed to create a dropdown playlist from those buttons, man, talk about popular. If you dont have any time, I'd understand.
mastavic

Post by mastavic »

Does this work for Firefox 0.9?

-=MaStA ViC