MozillaZine

Moving mails/news to a different location.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
mvondung

Post Posted May 16th, 2004, 5:30 am

The Knowledge Base explains how to move existing mail and news files to a new location. With regard to future updates of TB, is this a safe method? Or would moving the profile folder be a better approach? Both would do the trick for me, I'm just unsure which option will cause the least trouble in the future, if there is a difference at all. :)

wintogreen

Post Posted May 16th, 2004, 5:39 am

Neither one should affect future updates of TB. I've had some of my mail (former Netscape 7 mail) stored in a different location through the past three updates (0.3 through 0.6) of TB, and it hasn't caused any problems in the slightest. Still, it probably makes more sense to keep your mail and your profile together, in the same location, since it's just easier to keep track of that way and somewhat simpler for making backups.

mvondung

Post Posted May 17th, 2004, 1:52 am

I've tried to move the profile folder, as described here, with the result that everything is pretty much messed up. The first test went fine, so I deleted the former default profile. Restarted TB again, and tried to send an email. The "write" button had no effect. Shut it down, rebooted, tried again. This time, no folders were displayed. Closed it, tried again. This time the interface was disfigured. Basically, every time I launch Thunderbird, it is differently messed up. I noticed that the old profile folder was still there (mostly empty. If I delete or rename it, Thunderbird's interface is almost completely blank.

I've checked and re-checked the prefs.js, but nothing points to the old profile folder. I followed the instructions, though with one twist: Before I created the new profile, I renamed the old one to "default2", and named the new one "default". In the registry.dat, I can see some old profiles, but they do not (and did not) show up in the profile manager. It's a binary file, so I don't know how to edit it.

Grateful for suggestions and ideas.

mvondung

Post Posted May 17th, 2004, 1:58 am

Update:

Okay, I think I fixed it: I had to delete the chrome folder in the new profile folder. Once that was done, TB worked again (or seems to). I could also remove the old profile folder. Might be a good idea to add this to the URL mentioned above. Now I just have to reinstall the extensions. ;)

wintogreen

Post Posted May 17th, 2004, 7:01 am

Glad you got it working. :) Were you using a non-default theme? Also, if you don't mind: what extensions were you using and on what OS? I'll try to remember to add a note to the knowledge base page if I can reproduce the problems you had.

mvondung

Post Posted May 17th, 2004, 3:55 pm

I was using the default theme (small icons), running the 0.6 release version under XP pro (SP1). The extensions I had installed when the problem occured were these:

MagicSLR 0.6.2
QuickNote 0.5.8
Quote Colors 0.1.c
No New Window on Double Click 0.1
Compact Folders 0.1 (2004 05 06)
Show SMTP Username 0.2
Offline Support (pre-installed)
Calendar (latest version)
jslib
TagZilla (latest version)

Hope this helps to reproduce the problem. :)

wintogreen

Post Posted May 18th, 2004, 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info. Actually, I couldn't reproduce the problem. In batches of 2, I installed 6 of your 10 extensions (all but Quote Colors, No New Window, Show SMTP, and Calendar) to my profile folder, and migrated the profile after each batch. But it worked perfectly for me every time. I didn't have any of the problems you described above.

Still, I went ahead and inserted a note at the end of that knowledge base page, with a "footenote" link back to this thread. Can't hurt. O:)

Michael Vondung

Post Posted May 18th, 2004, 9:08 pm

I now wish I had written down the names of the four files that had remained in the old profile folder -- would probably have helped to track down the cause. Ah, well! Thanks for adding the note to the KB entry. :)

Foxxen2

Post Posted April 1st, 2006, 4:09 pm

Freee!!

Post Posted April 2nd, 2006, 5:56 am

Did you bother to check the date of the last reply before yours?

Foxxen2

Post Posted April 2nd, 2006, 6:04 am

Yes.

It appears the same issues referred to in this thread may not be fixed fully and could do with rechecking; no point starting a new 2nd thread.

Freee!!

Post Posted April 2nd, 2006, 6:10 am

My preference would have been to start a second thread and give a link to this one, thus preventing other people replying to two year old posts.

Return to Thunderbird General