Thunderbird Extension: MoreButtonsPlus

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
chiron

Thunderbird Extension: MoreButtonsPlus

Post by chiron »

<b><a href="http://www.benkraus.com/thunderbird/files/morebuttonsplus-0.3.xpi">morebuttonsplus-0.3.xpi</a></b>

This is an extension that adds three new buttons to the main toolbar: "Headers", "Purge Messages", and "Empty Trash" (you can also get the "Headers" button on the message window toolbar).
<b>Current Version: 0.3</b> (as of 2004-05-15)

<b>Headers:</b>
Toggle between All and Normal headers (same as clicking "View -> Headers -> All or Normal"). In addition, the icon and caption will change to show what mode you are currently in.

<b>Purge Messages:</b>
Compact all the folders of the current account (same as clicking "File -> Compact Folders").

<b>Empty Trash:</b>
Empty the trash folder (same as clicking "File -> Empty Trash").

<b>Details:</b>
I called this extention "MoreButtonsPlus" because it has the same buttons as the "<a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53850">MoreButtons</a>" extension, but has better button images (in my opinion). Rather than having two icons for "all" or "normal" headers, I have one button that will toggle back and forth. The buttons also highlight when you hover over them, and fade when they are disabled (although that doesn't happen often). In addition, an "Uninstall" option is available in the extension settings.

<b>Credits:</b>
I did look at the "MoreButtons" extension source as a reference, but I did not simply copy that extension and add my own icons. I also used the "<a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=53664">Buttons!</a>" extension for reference.
If you are interested in writing your own extension, I got started by reading through this tutorial: <a href="http://www.mozilla.org/docs/tutorials/tinderstatus/">Tutorial: Creating a Mozilla Extention</a>

The icons were done in photoshop. I borrowed the images from the Thunderbird chrome .jar files and modified them to fit the new buttons. I also created a couple other variations to the buttons that may be useful to others. The photoshop files can be found at this web address: <a href="http://www.benkraus.com/thunderbird/files/">http://www.benkraus.com/thunderbird/files/</a>

<b>Bugs:</b>
I don't know of any bugs, so please let me know if you have any problems. Version 0.1 worked fine for me in Thunderbird 0.5, and version 0.2 and 0.3 work for me in Thunderbird 0.6. I run both Windows 2000 and Windows XP, so all testing was done on those platforms.

<b>Please let me know if you get this extension working on other operating system, or other versions of Thunderbird (or Mozilla) so I can update the compatibility list.</b>

<b>Future Development:</b>
If I get the motivation I will add an option to change the text of the buttons in the extension settings, or add an option to add "brief" headers into the possible header modes. Let me know if this would be of interest to you.

Enjoy,
- Ben

<b>History</b>
Originally Posted (version 0.3 released): Sat May 15th 2004 15:13
Last Modified: Wed May 19th 2004 08:58
Last edited by chiron on May 22nd, 2004, 1:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2 (20050317)
Old Unghost

Re: Thunderbird Extension: MoreButtonsPlus

Post by Old Unghost »

Headers function doesn't work for me. Thunderbird 0.6 (20040502).
Other functions work fine.
chiron wrote:Add an option to add "brief" headers into the possible header modes. Let me know if this would be of interest to you.

Similar function exists in Mnenhy extension. I guess you can take a look at it for reference.
BTW, thanks a lot for improving my extension. Icons are looking great.
chiron

Post by chiron »

Unghost wrote:Headers function doesn't work for me. Thunderbird 0.6 (20040502).

I'm running the same version of Thunderbird on Windows XP. I had some trouble with the headers button when I first installed Thunderbird 0.6 (instead of Thunderbird 0.5), hense version 0.2 (and later 0.3). First, make sure you are using 0.3 instead of 0.1.

If that isn't the case, can you describe what's happening? Can you see the button? Does the button show the book open or closed (it will change based on whether the headers are showing or not)? When you click does nothing happen, or does the wrong thing happen? Do the items in the menu still work? Does the icon change when you change the headers using the menu?

Let me know, I will see what I can do.

Unghost wrote:BTW, thanks a lot for improving my extension. Icons are looking great.

Thanks... glad to help the Thunderbird community.

- Ben
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

chiron wrote:I'm running the same version of Thunderbird on Windows XP. I had some trouble with the headers button when I first installed Thunderbird 0.6 (instead of Thunderbird 0.5), hense version 0.2 (and later 0.3). First, make sure you are using 0.3 instead of 0.1.

Yep, I also have Windows XP SP1. And I'm using MoreButtonsPlus 0.3

chiron wrote:If that isn't the case, can you describe what's happening? Can you see the button? Does the button show the book open or closed (it will change based on whether the headers are showing or not)? When you click does nothing happen, or does the wrong thing happen? Do the items in the menu still work? Does the icon change when you change the headers using the menu?
- Ben

I see button and it is changing state when I'm clicking it. There are two screenshots, I've made.
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
I've made new profile. Have installed MoreButtonsPlus 0.3 in profile folder - no luck. Then cleaned it and have installed MoreButtonsPlus 0.3 in program folder - no difference.
gothhenge

morebuttons plus

Post by gothhenge »

I'm having a different problem with it. The actual functions of the buttons work, but it looks weird when I click Customize ... have a look:

<a href="http://poingenterprises.com/Chris/tbird.png">Screenshot</a>

As you can see, I could get the buttons on the toolbar, but the customize screen looks weird.
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

Try to delete XUL.mfl file in your profile. It can help.
chiron

Post by chiron »

Unghost wrote:I see button and it is changing state when I'm clicking it. There are two screenshots, I've made.
Screenshot 1
Screenshot 2
I've made new profile. Have installed MoreButtonsPlus 0.3 in profile folder - no luck. Then cleaned it and have installed MoreButtonsPlus 0.3 in program folder - no difference.

Well, I have it installed in the program directory, not in the profile directory, but I'm not sure what effect that may have on the operation.

This is a different problem than I've seen before. Do the menu items change when you click the icon, and visa versa (for example, when you click the icon, the check on "View -> Headers -> Normal" should change to "View -> Headers -> All", or back from "All" to "Normal", and when you use the menu's, do the icons change)?

The correct icons should show the book closed (representing normal headers) when "All" headers are being displayed (the book shows normal headers because clicking it will switch TO normal headers), and the book open (representing all headers) when the "Normal" headers are being displayed. Does this seem to match?

Let me know, and I will see if I can figure out why this is happening.

- Ben
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

chiron wrote:Do the menu items change when you click the icon, and visa versa (for example, when you click the icon, the check on "View -> Headers -> Normal" should change to "View -> Headers -> All", or back from "All" to "Normal", and when you use the menu's, do the icons change)?

The correct icons should show the book closed (representing normal headers) when "All" headers are being displayed (the book shows normal headers because clicking it will switch TO normal headers), and the book open (representing all headers) when the "Normal" headers are being displayed. Does this seem to match?

Let me know, and I will see if I can figure out why this is happening.

- Ben

Menu items are not changing.
Screenshot 3
Screenshot 4
I've noticed one more thing.
1) I choose Normal headers from menu.
2) Restart Thunderbird.
3) Then I'm clicking icon, it is changing it's state from book open book to closed. When I'm clicking icon one more time it's NOT changing it's state from book closed to book open.

1) I choose Full headers from menu.
2) Restart Thunderbird.
3) Then I'm clicking icon, it is not changing it's state from book open to book closed.

Whatever i'm choosing from menu, icon's state after Thunderbird start - book open.

It's all rather queer.
chiron

Post by chiron »

After taking a brief glance at the <a href="http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/">Mnenhy</a> extension, I'm guessing that may be the cause of the problem (if you have that installed). That extension looks interesting, so I may take a look at it over the weekend (got to work all day), and see if a) that is indeed causing the problem, and b) if I can get the two to interoperate somehow (because I would like to install that extension as well). Also, you may want to try disabling that extension, just temporarily, to see if that makes the "Headers" button work.

Let me know if you don't have that extension installed, and I will look at what else may be causing the problem.
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

I don't have Mnenhy extension installed.
gothhenge

Post by gothhenge »

Unghost wrote:Try to delete XUL.mfl file in your profile. It can help.

Thanks, that fixed the problem :)
Old Unghost

It works!!!!

Post by Old Unghost »

:banana: :monkey: :banana:
"Headers" button begin to work, when I've installed Thunderbird 0.6+ (20040522).
So you can forget all my screenshots - it's WFM :-) .
chiron

Post by chiron »

I plan on making MoreButtonsPlus compatible with Thunerbird 0.7 this weekend. I will post it as soon as the new version is available and tested.

- Ben
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.7.7) Gecko/20050414 Firefox/1.0.3
Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.2 (20050317)
chuonthis

Post by chuonthis »

Sorry to bring this thread up but I was wondering if anyone still had the XPI for this extension. I couldn't find it anywhere and the link at the top is 404'ed. Thanks.
chuonthis extensions: [fx] BookKey 0.0.1, OpenBook 2.0.1.1, Update Bookmark 0.0.5.1 [tb] Buttons! 0.5.3.2, DeleteJunk 0.3.2, Flipping the Thunderbird 0.0.0.1, Folderpane 0.0.5, NNWODC 0.2.3
Old Unghost

Post by Old Unghost »

chuonthis wrote:Sorry to bring this thread up but I was wondering if anyone still had the XPI for this extension. I couldn't find it anywhere and the link at the top is 404'ed. Thanks.

Can you fix this extension for Thunderbird 0.7 ?
Or you can add functionality of this extension in Buttons!
I've put this extension on my site - grab it from http://mozilla.ru/unghost/thunderbird/e ... us-0.3.xpi