MODIFICATION_FAILED in Lightning 0.9

For discussing the Mozilla Calendar, Sunbird and Lightning projects.
MikkyX

MODIFICATION_FAILED in Lightning 0.9

Post by MikkyX »

'lo all,
I've just installed Lightning 0.9 into Thunderbird 2.0.0.17. Using it to maintain a task list, not using the calendar at all (except to mark pay day!) and I'm not syncing with any remote calendars. It generally works fine for a while and then out of nowhere, whenever I try to modify a task I get the error "MODIFICATION_FAILED". I then close and restart Thunderbird, and it works fine again.

Is there a fix for this?
MikkyX

Re: MODIFICATION_FAILED in Lightning 0.9

Post by MikkyX »

Just done it again, I looked in the Error Console and found this:
Error: An error occurred when writing to the calendar Home! Error code: MODIFICATION_FAILED. Description:
Source File: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/b4k6gdl7.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/components/calItemModule.js -> file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Application%20Data/Thunderbird/Profiles/b4k6gdl7.default/extensions/%7Be2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103%7D/js/calCalendarManager.js
Line: 952
grzz76

Post by grzz76 »

Having the same problem. I'm using Lightning and accessing a calendar on a remote server. I also can't delete tasks. I try, but when I reload, the task comes back. Any solutions would be appreciated.
MikkyX

Post by MikkyX »

I've also noticed since writing this topic that when this error comes up if I'm marking a task as completed (via the tickbox in the task list), I will get the error - but then I can restart Thunderbird and it DID save the change, or even if I just tick "Show completed Tasks" and then untick it again, the status change HAS been saved.....
chk25

Post by chk25 »

Hi,

I just installed Lightning. Looks like a great tool. Unfortunately I have the same error when I connect to my Google calendar. I'm just wondering, if somebody has a solution. I tried to delete all my passwords of email accounts, reinstalled it, recreated the iCal link. No success. When doing any modification I get the error and then the calendar is set to readonly.

cu Christian
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

chk25 wrote:recreated the iCal link

Google allows only read access via the iCalendar feed and forbids write access. Therefore you can't create/edit/delete events, dismiss/snooze alarms, ...

You can get write access to the calendar e.g. by using the Provider for Google Calendar extension.
chk25

Post by chk25 »

Thanks!

Problems are solved.

cu Christian
LudoA

Post by LudoA »

This doesn't fix it for me. TB version 2.0.0.19 (20081209), Lightning 0.9, Provider for GC 0.5.1.

Cache is turned off. It's not my main Google calendar, but a secondary one which I created in my account. Using URL http://www.google.com/calendar/feeds/bl ... blah/basic

It doesn't seem to fix it for all the people in http://forums-test.mozillazine.org/view ... 0&start=45 either.

Any suggestions? This suddenly started happening to me today...
bvdbos

Post by bvdbos »

Did you foillow the instructions here as you're talking about a secondary google-calendar?
ssitter

Post by ssitter »

bvdbos wrote:Did you foillow the instructions here as you're talking about a secondary google-calendar?
This applies only when using the CalDAV protocol to access Google Calendar.
petercoolz

Post by petercoolz »

I'm having the same issue with Lightning and a Zimbra Caldav calendar.

Has anybody got a way to resolve this?

I assume the possibilities involve changing Zimbra to allow write access via Caldav? Or making the Dismiss button not actually write to the calendar?
jeronantropis

Post by jeronantropis »

I had the same problem using Provider to sync my Google Calendar with Lightning. I think the problem has to do with the experimental "Buffer" option in Lightning 0.9. I turned it of for the calendar with which I had the problem, and the problem disappeared. Strangely enough, other calendars (also with buffer enabled) don't have the problem :-/ . Also when I re-enable the buffer option, the problem remains absent (for now).
dhjdhj

Post by dhjdhj »

Hmmm, two years later ---- just installed Zimbra and just installed Thunderbird on my mac. Trying to access Zimbra calendar via CalDAV and failing exactly the same way.

Has this ever been solved?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Please start a new thread, ref; this one if needed. Thanks.
Locking this oldie.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)