XPI Install Delay

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
rmjb

XPI Install Delay

Post by rmjb »

I recently went up to a nightly on my home PC, I usually only use milestones, and I noticed that every XPI install window now has a 5 second delay before the Intall button is activated. What's the reason for this? I think it might be annoying for some, like if you continue to use unregistered software and there's a time that counts down before it lets you access it.

- rmjb
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

A Security feature - the delay is there so that no one presses install to quick.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

No offence to Ben or whoever did it, but it seems more like hack than a true solution.

- rmjb
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

There will also be a better solution for stoping xpi:s from being installed unintentionally in a coming release.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Will the delay be removed or an option be available to turn it off?

- rmjb
sboulema

Post by sboulema »

My opinion is eep the delay, but remove it for xpi's that are installed from a local location (on the pc)
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

sboulema wrote:My opinion is eep the delay, but remove it for xpi's that are installed from a local location (on the pc)

agreement++
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Okay, I think keep the delay, but let it be removable by some user files editing or about:config property, i.e. a hidden pref. I know that I take care with what I install so I personally do not want it. So I'd like it removed, isn't Fx about making the browser tailored to you?

Anyhow, I do see the value, just not for me.

- rmjb
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

rmjb wrote:Anyhow, I do see the value, just not for me.

Same. Probably a good idea by default, but it's really not something I need and is kinda annoying. Managed to remove it with two quick changes in a .js file though... If anyone's interested:

Code: Select all

_installCountdown: 0

and

Code: Select all

this._installCountdownInterval = setInterval("XPInstallConfirm.okButtonCountdown()",0);

in toolkit.jar/content/mozapps/xpinstall/xpinstallConfirm.js will do the trick.
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

rmjb wrote:Okay, I think keep the delay, but let it be removable by some user files editing or about:config property, i.e. a hidden pref. I know that I take care with what I install so I personally do not want it. So I'd like it removed, isn't Fx about making the browser tailored to you?

Anyhow, I do see the value, just not for me.

I can take care with what I install as well, but I still worry that I might press the Enter key at the wrong moment, just as an installer prompt pops up, and accidentally install something malicious or simply unwanted. Are you telling me you've never done something like this? I've seen it happen all too often.

5 seconds might be too long, though. 2 seconds would be enough to prevent the problem I'm worried about. But I think it would be foolish to remove the delay.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

Yes I have accidentally dimmised warnings without reading them while typing, but thanks to the XPI Install routine getting a tweak so it's like the popup blocker, I wont have to worry about that. Meaning, pages cannot bring up the XPI dialoge on you just like that, you have to click something, and if I just click on a link that's supposed to install something, I'll be waitin to clikc Install... I just don't want to have to be forced to wait longer than neccessary.

- rmjb
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

I'll look at extensionising the tweak if the delay is still present in 0.9.
Fusion

Post by Fusion »

Actually, I don't think they require a click with the new system. There are still some (sort of) passive events that can trigger an installer, I think. In particular, a mouse-over event might still trigger it. Imagine that you are typing, and the mouse cursor is in the way. You quickly move it out of the way and continue typing, but in moving the mouse you pass over something that triggers an install.

I'd rather have a short delay just to be on the safe side. Hell, I think this would be nice for all dialog boxes in all programs. Well, maybe not all, but I wouldn't complain if it was the OS's (or windowing system's) default.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Cusser wrote:I'll look at extensionising the tweak if the delay is still present in 0.9.

Perhaps it could be integrated with the Toggle Install extension.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Fusion wrote:Imagine that you are typing, and the mouse cursor is in the way. You quickly move it out of the way and continue typing, but in moving the mouse you pass over something that triggers an install.

I doubt this'll be a problem with the domain whitelisting system that will apply for install triggers by default.

TheOneKEA wrote:Perhaps it could be integrated with the Toggle Install extension.

Sure, why not. I've just got to figure out a neat way of overlaying it.