This web site does not supply identity information- GO AWAY!

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
tommyleereloaded

This web site does not supply identity information- GO AWAY!

Post by tommyleereloaded »

It won't let me drag a URL from the address bar to the bookmark bar. Every time I try, the "This web site does not supply identity information" tooltip block me!
smsmith

Re: This web site does not supply identity information- GO AWAY!

Post by smsmith »

If you wait a few seconds, it will go away. At least it does for me.

I believe they are trying to fix this:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312852

Seems they just need to decide on the right course of action. The bug's been around forever, it's just more prevalent now in Fx 3 because of the dual nature of the favicon (Site Identity Button and favicon).

Your other option is to click the star button in the address bar twice. You can tell Fx where to store the bookmark, and rename it then, too.

I know, just workarounds, but that's all we've got until a real fix is in.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
steviex

Post by steviex »

Or, you can disable Tooltips for now....

Type about:config into the Location Bar.

Then type browser.chrome.toolbar_tips into the Filter box

Double Click on the entry to toggle the value form True to False

You might need to restart Firefox, for this change to take effect.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
pschroeter

Post by pschroeter »

Be aware that disabling Tooltips will cause any extensions that uses them to display information not to work. For me it was Forecastfox, Reminderfox, and Updater Notifier. This will fix the problem but this is the price. This really needs to be fixed, I use the small icons and the tooltip completely hides the folder I'm trying to drag into.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

You can also drag the favicon that is on the tab rather than the one that is on the address bar.
Veovis Muaddib

Post by Veovis Muaddib »

Yes, but that requires you to either have multiple tabs open, or have the tab bar always showing (quite ugly)...
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Veovis Muaddib wrote:... or have the tab bar always showing (quite ugly)...

In FF3.1 the tab bar will show by default since there is no open new tab icon any longer on the navigation bar. It has been moved to the end of the tab bar and cannot be moved to the navigation bar. There is much negative commentary about it in the Mozillazine Builds Forum but it is unlikely to change.
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
goobermcbooberton

Post by goobermcbooberton »

Man I hate that. Mainly because I've yet to see a site that DOES supply identity information, so it's worthless as well as being annoying. For now it's best to just be patient for about 4 seconds, IMHO.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

3.1 will have this fixed by removing the tooltip as soon as a drag action begins. As an example site, try any https site.
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

goobermcbooberton wrote:Man I hate that. Mainly because I've yet to see a site that DOES supply identity information, so it's worthless as well as being annoying. For now it's best to just be patient for about 4 seconds, IMHO.

That information is only provided by verified SSL sites. Non-secure sites have no way to provide verification information.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
steviex

Post by steviex »

Here are a few sites that are Verified.....

https://addons.mozilla.org You will see that this site DOES Supply the information..... You get a Verified by Globalsign tooltip... https://www.paypal.com/ verified by Verisign

Also, in the UK, Nationwide Building Society use EV on their online Banking site.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
diligentinquirer

Post by diligentinquirer »

tommyleereloaded: try it twice. drag to far right further. then it works for me.
Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. - Alexander Pope (1688-1744)
CoraLE

Post by CoraLE »

But the point is that I can't save a link in my Favorites file. Even this very page cannot be dragged and dropped - instead the little round circle with the cross through it replaces the icon with the message "This website does not supply identity information:. I can make a bookmark, but not a favorite. Problem just started yesterday. I use my favorites files and folders all the time when researching and this is making me crazy already. Firefox v 3.05.
CoraLE

Post by CoraLE »

steviex wrote:Here are a few sites that are Verified.....

https://addons.mozilla.org You will see that this site DOES Supply the information.....

Hmmm. Well, maybe this is a different problem. I can't drag and drop an URL into Favorites that IS identified either. Dammit! May the fondest dreams immediately come true for anybody who can solve this hugely irritating problem!
CoraLE

Post by CoraLE »

OK, so I solved it myself. Sort of. I have both Bookmarks and Favorites (IE) on my Firefox toolbar - for easy movement back and forth. The Firefox Bookmarks drag and drop was working, but a drag and drop to Favorites was broken. However, for anybody else with this (grant it) somewhat unique problem, you just click on the Favorites Menu, rather than drag and drop. Duh. Carry on.