FireFox SLOW Launch/Startup

Discussion of bugs in Mozilla Firefox
Bmoner

FireFox SLOW Launch/Startup

Post by Bmoner »

Hey guys, for the past couple of days now I've been having a LOT of trouble with Firefox. When I click the launch button, I find it's taking anywhere from 10-30secs to start. I've never had this problem, so I don't even know what's going on. Here's some information so far:

Vista Ultimate x64
Intel E6600
8GB RAM
WD 160GB HDD 7200rpm
Firefox 3.0.5
ESET Smart Security 3.0.684 x64

I have no extensions or themes enabled at all, so I don't understand for the life of me what's going on. Firefox (Safe Mode) even seems to boot up very slow as well. I've cleared all of my private data, yet still I get the same thing. Does anyone have any ideas on what's going on? I know it can't be an incompatibility with Vista x64 because everything was just fine up until a couple days ago.

I checked to see if IE was maybe running slow, but that loaded lickity-split quick. I also searched these forums for answers, yet have found nothing. Does anyone have a solution for me?

I've ruled out Firewalls as everything else seems to be starting AND connecting just fine.

I'm going to post some screen shots...

dfoulkes

Re: FireFox SLOW Launch/Startup

Post by dfoulkes »

I don't have a specific answer for you but I've read in various board posts where....
...When you say you've cleared Private Data does that include browser history because having very large amounts of visited sites can slow startup...per some posts.
...I've also read where live feeds can cause this also and there was one (can't remember which topic) where (again, I think) it was specific to Google live feeds.

If you have not done so yet you might want to search these posts for Vista as I've seen various posts over time dealing with Vista issues.

Other than that I don't know at this time.

I guess I would also recommend that you try a test profile just to validate your current one's structure.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Bmoner

Post by Bmoner »

Thanks for that reply. I tried making a test profile and found that even that was slow. So I then decided to just completely uninstall FF and also do a registry/dead files wash as well. It seems to have worked as everything is lightning fast again...even after restoring my bookmarks, add-ons and passwords. Hopefully this HOLDS! lol
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

One wonders at times about what in the '$&^#' goes on in my system?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Bmoner

Post by Bmoner »

You know...it's doing it again. I dunno what is going on...but I'm not patient enough to find out so I'm switching to Safari. FireFox is the add-on King...but that doesn't matter when it loses functionality. I used to love FireFox because of how fast it was...oh well.
paulfromhawaii

Post by paulfromhawaii »

This Firefox with the NoScript add on is one of the finest browsers out there. I had both RealPlayer and Quicktime on an older Win98se with IE5.5 and found both Realplayer and Quicktime to be one of the biggest resource hogs ever created. Both are so intrusive with pop ups and worse that I avoid both whenever possible. Your PC is really messed up but it is not a Firefox issue.
Bmoner

Post by Bmoner »

Well nothing is wrong with my PC as FireFox is the only application having this problem. So therefore, by logical deduction, it's something with FireFox. Everything else on here is lighting fast, as it was built for, so my PC being messed up is far from the truth.
teoli2003

Post by teoli2003 »

How many live bookmarks do you have?
Bmoner

Post by Bmoner »

I don't have any live bookmarks. I don't even know how to use those, so I'm sure I'm not using them.

I don't use any RSS feeds or anything of the sort either. The only thing I use are standard Bookmarks, and browsing functionality.

This is even happening on fresh installs of FireFox with anything being added yet (and that's WITH cleaning the registry after I've uninstalled FireFox)

Does anyone at least know of a tool I could use to monitor the startup performance of FireFox and be able to post the results for further analyzation?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Bmoner,
Please don't X post in the future.
It gets very confusing chasing threads around checking if answered &/or fixed.
Continue here > viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1022835
Locking this.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)