Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

Mozilla only takes something like 9.5 MB when installing only the Navigator.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Dunderklumpen wrote:One word: Multizilla
And what a great word that is! :D

I use MultiZilla and really like it. I'm not using all of its features but I like having the 'x' on each tab so I can close tabs without bringing them to the front first. :)

Still for me, Firefox's extensions and themes really appeal to me and I miss that with Mozilla. I've got some themes installed in Mozilla (Toy Story right now) but the Mozilla themes aren't as "cool" as the Firefox themes. :)

Peace...
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

I agree - there are more stuff to choose from the Firefox.

Seen this?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=77017

There are flaws still in there but it makes Mozilla look more like Firefox (standard theme).
Jugalator

Post by Jugalator »

Firefox + Thunderbird for me. :)

No problems with it here.

I probably wouldn't have with the suite either, but I don't want a Composer, etc...
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Simple - install the parts/software you want and leave the rest.
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Dunderklumpen wrote:Seen this?

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=77017

There are flaws still in there but it makes Mozilla look more like Firefox (standard theme).
Nope, I didn't know about that. Thanks! I'll check it out. :)

EDIT: Ok, I'm running with that theme now and it's pretty cool. Great job! :)

Peace...
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

This was posted a ways back now, first page of this I think, but just had to chime in about how amazed I always am when people talk about Firefox not having a New Tab button. Explore a LITTLE people... please. It's odd that people never complain about it not having a "Go" button... which also isn't in the default layout. Logic would dictate that if they've located the "Go" button, they've located the "New Tab" one... but who knows.

Personally, I use double click on the tab bar to open a new tab almost exclusively now... and it's easily the feature from Firefox that I miss the most when I have to use the Suite for something.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Get Multizilla - you then can have a button that will create a new tab for you in the toolbar.
irongut

Post by irongut »

Thumper wrote:For a start, if you're running KDE then Tools -> Options is basically in the same place as Settings -> Options is on Kapps. GNOME gets this one wrong, basically.

How is 'Tools' like 'Settings' ???

Tools | Options is a very poor metaphor. FF is just copying M$ poor, inconsistant GUI design.

Edit | Preferences makes much more sense.

I prefer the suite because FF has no proper sidebar, the options dialog is awful and I can't get at the privacy preferences properly without resorting to about:config which is far too clunky and time consuming. Admitedly it probably is easier for an IE user to change to FF but since I first surfed with Netscape 0.9b on Unix, I don't care about that.
kc2kth

Post by kc2kth »

I use FX and TB here, and that's what I prefer. I figure the two apps should be smaller and faster than the suite, but I'm not finding that to be the issue. It can take almost a minute to open FX on a Centrino 1.7GHz notebook (4200rpm disk, 512MB RAM). Not exactly screaming performance. Once it's started though, it's quick.
casey1992

Post by casey1992 »

I vote for both (or either).

Firefox works beautifully for me, although its beta status logically means bugs here and there. I can generally live with those, and have the patience to try out a new nightly if necessary.

I recommend Mozilla Suite for people without the patience or knowledge to deal with a work in progress. And for a new computer user, I see learning advantages to having an integrated browser and e-mailer.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

irongut wrote:How is 'Tools' like 'Settings' ???

Tools | Options is a very poor metaphor. FF is just copying M$ poor, inconsistant GUI design.

Edit | Preferences makes much more sense.

That's utter nonsense. Edit has always meant direct text editing operations or equivalent manipulation in graphical applications. Preferences has no place there. Than again, you spelled Microsoft with a dollar sign, so why am I even arguing with you?

- Chris
casey1992

Post by casey1992 »

People can argue all they want about the location of the Preferences on Windows systems, but I don't see where there's a perfect spot for them. I agree with Thumper that the Edit menu isn't the perfect spot, but there's also software with no Tools menu at all. Firefox and Mozilla Suite developers simply have to make a decision and stick with it (which they apparently have done). Windows users will, at least for now, have to continue to look for Preferences (or Settings or Options) in different places in different applications.

The Mac OS used to have the same flaw, but Apple saw the opportunity to correct that in OS X. All preferences for all programs are now in the Application menu (and all applications stick to one term: 'Preferences'); Firefox and Mozilla Suite properly put them there.
MHobbit

Post by MHobbit »

I'd rather use FireFox and Thunderbird... though I wish my Mailblocks email had POP3 support. So, I haven't used TBird in a while. I hope the upcoming GMail has it, so I can use thunderbird with it!
MHobbit
MHobbit.net: Not just any hobbit
phpBB MOD Team member, mxBB Project Team Leader
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

Well, I took some time looking at things.

I chose Firebird and Thunderbird because I thought that is where things would be going. Looking at it now, since Mozilla is the only one recommended BY THE DEVELOPERS THEMSELVES for use in real deployments, I wished I'd gone with the suite. The suite is more stable and more reliable, and people can identify if you say "this is the continuation of Netscape".

I am hesitant to install test software on the boss's or any other critical PC's. I wouldn't be as hesitant to put Mozilla "release version" on there.

That said, most PC's are still running IE and OE.

Good luck.