Can't opne executables from the Firefox Download Manager

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
greatman05

Can't opne executables from the Firefox Download Manager

Post by greatman05 »

Hello. As the title says, I can't seem to open any executable files from the Download Manager. By this, I mean that when I save a downloaded executable to any location on my hard drive, and the download shows as complete in the Download Manager, Firefox does show the "Open File" confirmation dialog, but once I click "OK", the download doesn't open. The download does open when I try to open it from the location I saved it in Windows Explorer, however. I have already tried resetting the "mimetypes.rdf" file, but this action did not solve the problem. I am using the Firefox 3.0.5 official version. Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling Firefox?
LIMPET235

Re: Can't opne executables from the Firefox Download Manager

Post by LIMPET235 »

Firefox will not open or run an .exe.
This extension will give that function..
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/207
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
steviex

Post by steviex »

The reason for Firefox not opening Executables, is to give you the chance to scan them for nasties before opening them, and potentially infecting your system.

It is a Security measure designed to help prevent your system from harm.

If you are CERTAIN that an .exe file is safe, then use the Addon Limpet suggested to open it.
However, it is entirely at your own risk, that you circumvent Firefox's Security measures.

Please stay safe, and make sure the .exe file ARE what they say they are.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Please DO NOT PM me for support... Lets keep it on the board, so we can all learn.
greatman05

Post by greatman05 »

But, on another computer that has Firefox 3.0.5 installed, Firefox is able to open exes (from the Download Manager) without an add-on...can you tell me why?
Alice

Post by Alice »

You can launch an executable file from the Firefox 2 Downloads window by clicking the Open link, and then clicking OK in the confirmation dialog:
I used http://port25.technet.com/videos/downloads/wmpfirefoxplugin.exe to test.

Firefox 3 no longer includes an "Open" link in the Downloads window but you can right-click the download entry and select "Open", which does the same thing.

I tried opening the exe file from the Firefox 3 downloads window and it opened fine, after clicking OK in the "Open Executable file?" window.

Are you saying you get the "Open Executable file?" dialog and click OK, but nothing happens? As a workaround, you can use the "Open Containing Folder" option in the Downloads windows right-click menu. That will take you to the file in Windows Explorer.
Alice Wyman
greatman05

Post by greatman05 »

Are you saying you get the "Open Executable file?" dialog and click OK, but nothing happens?

^^ Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying...Is there a way to fix that? Or will I just have to continue using the workaround?
Alice

Post by Alice »

I don't know why you are having a problem (you could try the standard diagnostic steps or creating new Firefox profile) but the workaround isn't that big a deal since it's just one extra click ;)
Alice Wyman
greatman05

Post by greatman05 »

Ok...thanks for the help!
Alice

Post by Alice »

You're welcome.

I didn't think of it before but Firefox uses the installed AV program to scan for viruses once the download is complete, which may be related to your problem. You can disable this feature by setting the preference browser.download.manager.scanWhenDone to false in about:config if you want to pursue this. (Ref.)

If you figure it out, post back and let us know.
Alice Wyman
Karolusmagnus

Post by Karolusmagnus »

You're great, Alice. I had the same problem (Firefox'scan-my antivirus) and your last explanation solved it. I had to set the preference browser.download.useDownloadDir to false too.

Have a nice day. Thanks.
Gatortrader

Post by Gatortrader »

When I "right click" the downloaded file it does not give me the option to "Open". Is there a fix for that?
James

Post by James »

Please start a new thread as this one was from back in Jan 2009 when Firefox was at 3.0.5