[ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Announce and Discuss the Latest Theme and Extension Releases.
kimwlias

Re: [ext] Fast Dial 2.1 for Firefox

Post by kimwlias »

OK, the latest Fast Dial update (2.15) completely rendered my firefox useless. It already had some small bugs and now, instead of being slightly more robust, it introduced more... "features"..

Here is a screenshot after my firefox restarted:

1: I used to have this button as a way of opening a new tab with middle click. Every time I middle clicked on it it would open a new tab. Now, it always loads in a specific tab, and every other click loads fast dial in that same tab.

2. I have no idea what this does but I can't seem to find how to get rid of it. Not to mention it doubles my tab height (3).

4. And what's with the other toolbars in my browser? What's fast dial got to do with them? Every time I open my firefox these two toolbars ALWAYS appear when firefox starts up no matter how many times I click those x buttons (I also disabled them from firefox customization). I went to the preferences and saw that it finds all my toolbars and I can configure them from within Fast Dial. WHY? What's Fast Dial got to do with toolbar managment?

Can you see that line at the end? Yeah, that's another toolbar, but since this window cannot resize, I cannot do anything about it.......

I currently uninstalled it because of these problems. Please, oh please fix something. Fast Dial + my customizations saved a LOT of space for me.

Regards.
zmanzero
Deviant

Post by zmanzero »

kimwlias, you're not the only one that has uninstalled fast dial after that update - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... splay/5721

my solution was to copy the contents of the fast dial folder in bookmarks to my desktop and install speed dial - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/4810

i then added those sites that were in fast dial to speed dial. it took a little while, but speed dial does the same thing as fast dial and it won't add the toolbar and spam links and change your search engine settings. read that first link i posted for the full list of crimes that fast dial is doing.
"Jesus, man, this thread was dead and buried." - RAF
really joined 7/9/04. thanks dickvl.
duck_

Post by duck_ »

New update (2.15) and it's new 'features' have ruined the brilliant addon that was Fast Dial. I don't want it to change my bookmarks and logos, as well as adding a new default search engine without my permission... these are the actions of malware. Don't want to trust this extension anymore, another user leaving to use Speed Dial and giving you a 1* on the mozilla addons site.
iiburukibun

Post by iiburukibun »

2.16 fixes alot of the problems, and removes the links and search engine, but now there are other things broken like being able to add a new page to Fast Dail...
fireonfox

Post by fireonfox »

I set my firefox to show a blank page when firefox start but the fast dial is not showing. May I know what's the problem? I'm using 2.16.
klumy

Post by klumy »

fireonfox wrote:I set my firefox to show a blank page when firefox start but the fast dial is not showing. May I know what's the problem? I'm using 2.16.

I have the same problem with 2.16
Windows 7
asmodeus_dhoine

Post by asmodeus_dhoine »

This is just sad. And userlogos and telega.phpnet.us are down meaning there's no faster updates. Using 2.11.
asmodeus_dhoine

Post by asmodeus_dhoine »

Well, I installed ver. 2.17d from http://userlogos.org/extensions/fastdial. Three unwanted links are still there (messed up my layout), doesn't load in the new tabs (had to set chrome://fastdial/content/fastdial.html as a home page and then set new tabs to load home page in Tab Mix Plus options).

Telega, it's not too late, FIX IT. Remove your links, fix the new tab issue. Seriously, this is a great addon save for what you just did to it. Fix it.
klumy

Post by klumy »

what adress do I need to enter in the adressfield to open the fast dial homepage.

If I know this I can manually change the startsite to this and the error would be solved.
Windows 7
Zoolcar9

Post by Zoolcar9 »

The developer of the Fast Dial add-on did add malware like features to his add-on according to hundreds of angry commenters on the official add-on page at Mozilla. The latest versions of the Fast Dial add-on changed the default search engine and removed the first three fast dial fields with links pointing to websites selected by the author of the extension. The add-on did also change the browser’s homepage to a Fast Dial page. What makes the matter worse is that there is no dialog to notify the user about the changes and no way to opt out during the installation.

[via gHacks]
My Firefox information | Add-ons | GitHub

"With great power, comes great desire to show it off."
jordan10la

Post by jordan10la »

I am so saddened by this update. I don't have it yet. Luckily I knew not to update it because my grandmother called me asking why there were three new things and it looked different. So I still have the good version on my system luckily. Unfortunately, she doesn't. Is there any way to get all the files of the old version from my system and add them to hers? Where would I find any of this? She wants the old version and I want a backup in case of an accidental update.

EDIT: Or is there just a way to install the old version?

EDIT2: Can I download it from the version history? I assume so. I'll just try it on my grandmothers computers first. Her Fast Dial is already bad.
klumy

Post by klumy »

the new fastdial 2.22b works normal.
Thanks for the update!! :D
Windows 7
jordan10la

Post by jordan10la »

klumy wrote:the new fastdial 2.22b works normal.

Oh yeah? Does it support using a custom background color for your image thumbnails? I know thisused be a feature but was removed. Anyone know what is the most recent version to support this.
mikekakuk

Sync Folder Pics and Settings

Post by mikekakuk »

Does anyone know if you can sync all of your folder settings, placements and pictures for fast dial between computers?
nwg

Post by nwg »

klumy wrote:the new fastdial 2.22b works normal.

I don't understand why you would thank someone who betrays your trust, f**ks up your browser, and then, realizing that things didn't go as planned tries to save his boat from sinking. Had it been an honest mistake, it would have been a completely different thing.