Javascript popups not working

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
xan2637

Javascript popups not working

Post by xan2637 »

I've got a problem with javascript popups not opening. If I click on the link, I can see the Javascript command on the bottom come up, but the window itself does not. This happens in Internet Explorer also, so it really isn't Mozilla specific. Also on my other computer, the same links work, so the problem is isolated to one system. How do I re-install Javascript? I've not been able to find any info on this. Any help appreciated.
Paradox52525

Post by Paradox52525 »

Javascript is supported natively in each browser. In spite of the name similarity between Java and Javascript, the two have nothing to do with each other. Java has to be installed as a plugin, Javascript does not, it should work out of the box and there's no way to "re-install" it since it's built into the browser. I suspect that the problem you are seeing is either caused by bad page coding or an extension you have installed. If you use TBE, make sure you have your javascipt popup settings configured correctly, and make sure you have the latest version. If you have TBP, try disabling it to see if the problem still exists without it. and again make sure you have the newest version. If those suggestions don't help, post a link to the site that isn't working. That way people can take a look at it and confirm or deny the problem.
xan2637

Post by xan2637 »

OK, here's an example website that isn't working. http://lordoftherings.net/legend/downlo ... tures.html

If you mouseover the various links to view the images, you'll see the java commands at the bottom status bar. Nothing happens when I click the links. However, on another system I have, the popup windows appear with no problem. I don't even know where to begin to solve this issue. Like I said, it happens in MS Internet Explorer as well, so it isn't isolated to Mozilla Firefox. I just thought someone here would know what to do. Thanks.

PS. I have no clue what TBE or TBP is.
rmjb

Post by rmjb »

OK, I tried your link and WFM (works for me), I know saying that never actually helps someone so I'll try to help you now.

Firefox's popup blocker requires that the page finish loading before you click a link that causes a popup. I think they may have changed it since 0.8. but I'm not sure. So, one thing you can try is to let the page load completely then click the links. Or, if the page never stops loading, click the stop button, wait a couple seconds, then click the links. (You can tell the page is loading by information in the status bar the the moving "thobber" or the image in the top right hand corner of your browser).

Now that last tip was Fx specific, but since you've also got the problem on IE on your system it seems you have a popup blocker installed. I know the new toolbars for IE have popup blocking, Yahoo!, MSN, Google, so you could check if you have any of that installed. Also, check for any popup, spyware busting programs you may have that might think this popup is one you don't want.

One last thing, an extension to what Paradox said, Java and Javascript are different., those links on the page are Javascript. Small difference between them: Javascript is usually faster and easier to do, Java is usually slower and more complicated, but more powerful.

Hope I helped,
- rmjb