Belkin Router Web GUI Display Problem

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Maeglin

Belkin Router Web GUI Display Problem

Post by Maeglin »

Just installed a Belkin F5D5231-4 Router to replace my Linksys BEFSR41 and Firefox will not correctly display the Web GUI, but it works just fine with IE.
I've searched the forum & found similar posts, but they are 3 to 4 years old, with no real solution!
This old post shows the problem I'm getting - viewtopic.php?f=38&t=367612

I've found a way round it by having FF always load the Web GUI in IE Tab, but surely by now there's an answer to this somewhere?

Thanks.

Maeglin
Win2K, FF 3.0.5, TB 2.0.0.19
VanillaMozilla

Re: Belkin Router Web GUI Display Problem

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Some (all?) routers require JavaScript, but do not give you an error message if you don't have it.

Remember, when you're changing the configuration, and turning off features, you shouldn't be surprised if some things no longer work the way you expect. And when you do encounter a problem, you need to remember what you changed at some time in the past.

I don't know why you would use IE Tab instead of IE. IE Tab is IE, and running it in Firefox doesn't make it any more secure.
kunalashar

Post by kunalashar »

As VanillaMozilla said, it's probably a JavaScript error. Here are a couple of things you could try:

1. Ensure JavaScript is enabled and that the check boxes in the advanced settings are set (see screenshot below)

2. Look at the error console (Ctrl+Shift+J) for potentially fatal JavaScript errors that could cause the problem
Maeglin

Post by Maeglin »

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I realise IE Tab is IE running in Firefox, but I have a link set up in FF to my router so I can access with a single click.

I've checked the Java settings and they made no difference at all, however the Error Console does contain errors as shown in link below, but they mean nothing to me.

Large image.

Maeglin.

[edit]Large image tags removed to preserve the forum layout.LIMPET235.Mod.[/edit]
kunalashar

Post by kunalashar »

Quick question - in IE, have you disabled script debugging? (see screenshot below). If it is disabled, try enabling it. If the problem appears in IE too, then it may be that FF's JavaScript handling is strict.

I wonder if JavaScript debugging and error messaging can be disabled in Firefox without turning off JavaScript? Maybe someone in this forum can point you to a extension or add-on that disables JavaScript errors.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Console² let's you display errors filtered by type (Errors, Warnings, Messages), language (JavaScript, CSS, XML) and context (Chrome, Content). Furthermore it provides a simple search box (as seen in the History and Bookmarks sidebars), hiding of duplicates, sidebar optimizations, a customizable toolbar and some more accessibility improvements.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1815

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Maeglin

Post by Maeglin »

Thanks kunalashar, checked the IE settings & enabled script debugging, but still works fine in IE.

I've tried using 2 other PCs on my home network and it's just the same, so I can't see it being down to any 'tweaks' I may have made to my set up in the past.
VanillaMozilla

Post by VanillaMozilla »

Do you have NoScript or another JavaScript-blocking extension? That blocks JavaScript (surprise!). And you shouldn't have to check ALL JavaScript options. The default configuration should be enough.

It also looks like you have the Google Bar. As always, try Firefox with a new profile. That resets EVERYTHING except plugins (which should do not affect a router setup screen).

Note that you need to clear the JS error console BEFORE you try to open the router setup. Some of those errors are probably from other Web sites.