Thunderbird and GMail IMAP: password required

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
bleak

Thunderbird and GMail IMAP: password required

Post by bleak »

Thunderbird constantly presents me with a password box for my gmail account, even after I enter the password and tick the "Use Password Manager to remember this password." option. It does this several times per day, every day, and is becoming quite annoying. Also, sometimes it gives me a "failure to connect" error message, even though the password I've provided is correct.

I'm using Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 on Apple OS X 10.5.6.

Server settings for my account:

Server name: imap.gmail.com
Port: 993
User Name: username@gmail.com
Use secure connection: SSL
Check for new messages at startup
Check for new messages every 10 minutes

Outgoing server:

Server name: smtp.gmail.com
Port: 587
User Name: username@gmail.com
Secure Connection: TLS

I've checked the tutorials offered by Google, and these settings appear to be correct; yet Thunderbird still fails to connect and/or insists on asking for my password every few minutes. Help is greatly appreciated.
SK.

Re: Thunderbird and GMail IMAP: password required

Post by SK. »

Do you have Thunderbird remember the password?
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
bleak

Post by bleak »

I thought that's what ticking the "Use Password Manager to remember this password." box did.
SK.

Post by SK. »

bleak wrote:I thought that's what ticking the "Use Password Manager to remember this password." box did.

Sorry.
John 3:16 and Philippians 4:13
lllbbb

Post by lllbbb »

just to add... i had this problem too. unlocking the captcha seems to have solved it, however, after unlocking the captcha i had to log onto my gmail account on the web once to get it to work in TB.
jurgielbv

Post by jurgielbv »

A friend had problems with Gmail and Thunderbird after he downloaded Thunderbird version 52.9.1. He was getting the gmail error 78754. The short answer was his firewall - Windows Defender.

He shut down the firewall and he was able to send and received his Gmail with Thunderbird. He then re-started his firewall AND he was still able to send and receive messages. Apparently the firewall did not know there was an updated version of Thunderbird on his machine and shutting the firewall down and re-starting it; let the firewall recogonize the new version of Thunderbird.
Yellow Bird