FirefoxModern

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Legoguy

FirefoxModern

Post by Legoguy »

First, I want to say that a fair amount of the code contained in this theme is from GrayModern, and that theme contains a fair amount of code from the original Modern.
Because Bernie Z. already has done quite a bit of work on porting the (basically) modern theme with gray elements to Firefox, I figured I might as well revert the Modern colors and graphics back and make a few of my own improvements.
This theme contains a *near* duplicate of modern.

Thanks Bernie for your work on GrayModern, this is partially based upon GrayModern 0.4.

Some changes from GrayModern that may or may not otherwise be evident:
The "down" state of the radio button is correct
The small icons are not so far spaced apart (and the back/forward dropdown buttons are more accurately placed)
The Buttons and URL/Search bar are all vertically centered in the Navigation Toolbar
The Main Toolbar has the same background color (GrayModern had slightly different shades of gray)
The text color is fixed black everywhere (for people like me who have their system theme set as light text on dark background)
More "fitting" small home button
There's more, just can't remember it all.

http://turbogfx.homelinux.org/firefoxmo ... dern05.jar
BanjoTEKE

Post by BanjoTEKE »

I am using firefox and when I click on the JAR file link, it asks to save the file to my hard disk... Normally it asked to install the file into FireFox... How do you install a JAR file from your hard drive?
Thanks,

BanjoTEKE
http://forum.axis-pc.com
PC Tech Forums Admin
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

BanjoTEKE

Post by BanjoTEKE »

doesn't work!

The link on the websites do not work! (I tried that of course...)

How can I install a JAR file from the local machine?
Thanks,

BanjoTEKE
http://forum.axis-pc.com
PC Tech Forums Admin
lordmedikit

Post by lordmedikit »

If you are using a latest nightly, or the theme is designed for a later one and you are still using 0.8 then it is unlikely that it will work.
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

It should work on the latest trunk... Don't know about 0.8 or the branch, I'm working on adding the install.rdf that the 0.9 branch now requires.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Confirmed working on FX 0.8 official release.

Bugs(?):
- Putting the throbber at the end of the toolbars on the right side will show it partially cut off unless a "space" is put to the right of the throbber to properly space it out
- "Go" button in small icons mode makes Nav toolbar stretch a few pixels vertically
- In small icons mode, Back and Foward buttons are higher than the rest (Refresh, Stop, Home)
- Sidebar: The View dropdown button does not change visual state when clicked.
- Clicking on "expander" arrows shows a background color highlighting the arrow, then changing from pointing Right to pointing Down. Background color highlight should not be there. (Tools|Options|Privacy or Advanced for examples)
- Clicking the Throbber makes it "press" like a button
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

I noticed these bugs, a new version is out that fixes some of them. The theme is now compatible with the 0.9 branch (includes an install.rdf).
http://turbogfx.net/firefox/ffmodern/ffmodern06.jar

Information on the Future of Modern:
Bernie Zimmermann, creator/porter of GrayModern for Firefox, and I, Andrew Keyser, are going to be setting up a shared codebase CVS server for the theme. GrayModern will be a branch off of the FirefoxModern codebase, and forthcoming releases will have synchronized bug fixes and feature additions. More information as it becomes available.
Zeron

Post by Zeron »

Removed 0.5 and installed 0.6. All the bugs that I mentioned are still there. Are you sure you packaged the right version for 0.6?
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

Well, to tell you the truth, the 0.6 version was released before you posted these; some of them were known but there were some other bugs too that you missed; the most important one in my opinion was the fact that the download manager hadn't had its colors changed. Maybe since we (Bernie & I) are going to use a CVS server, we should also set up a bugzilla :P

Bugs(?):
- Putting the throbber at the end of the toolbars on the right side will show it partially cut off unless a "space" is put to the right of the throbber to properly space it out

Confirmed, fix in progress
- "Go" button in small icons mode makes Nav toolbar stretch a few pixels vertically

Confirmed, also being fixed
- In small icons mode, Back and Foward buttons are higher than the rest (Refresh, Stop, Home)

Known bug (my mistake actually...), fix being worked on
- Sidebar: The View dropdown button does not change visual state when clicked.

Confirmed; also applies to RSS reader's sidebar's tools menu; working on it
- Clicking on "expander" arrows shows a background color highlighting the arrow, then changing from pointing Right to pointing Down. Background color highlight should not be there. (Tools|Options|Privacy or Advanced for examples)

Sigh, also confirmed, working on it

Working on it
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Legoguy wrote:Bernie Zimmermann, creator/porter of GrayModern for Firefox, and I, Andrew Keyser, are going to be setting up a shared codebase CVS server for the theme. GrayModern will be a branch off of the FirefoxModern codebase, and forthcoming releases will have synchronized bug fixes and feature additions. More information as it becomes available.

Can I be the most ultimate pain in the ass you'll ever know and request a branch from your CVS which has the "small icons" set to the size used in Firebird Modern (the extension that you kindly supported). Firefox Modern looks like it's shaping up to be very nice indeed, but I prefer the old icon size.
Thanks for your continued work!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Large icons are not working for me. I’m using windows ME with Firefox 0.8 with a screen resolution of 1280x1024.
At this resolution the small icons are too small, large icons would be perfect. If I use 1024x768 the toolbar bookmarks get cut of on the right side of the screen (when I click on the arrows for the rest of the bookmarks they appear off screen). I prefer using a 1280x1024 resolution in order to view photos without scrolling.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Bumping... just shout if you need a tester, Legoguy.
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

Cusser: Well, I suppose I could update the original one just for 0.9, but there won't be any more bugs fixed on it, it's pretty much outdated now.
Although, a tester would be handy, just contact me by one of the methods below my post.

In case you haven't found it on update.mozilla.org yet, FirefoxModern 0.7.1 has been released, and 0.8 should be coming up soon.
Fixed in 0.7.1:

- Dialog Buttons too big

Planned to be fixed in 0.8:
- In small icons mode, Back and Foward buttons are higher than the rest [ done ]
- Sidebar: The View dropdown button does not change visual state when clicked. [ in progress ]
- Update icons don't appear [ done ]
- Separator items are invisible [ todo ]
Legoguy

Post by Legoguy »

Well, it's been a long time since I've updated this thread... but FirefoxModern has hit 1.0.2 now and it's available from http://turbogfx.homelinux.org/ . All of the major showstopping bugs have been fixed and some features have been added, such as the original border around the URL bar. It's easiest just to check it out for yourself.