Venerable Chrome Modern Subskin

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Sailfish

Venerable Chrome Modern Subskin

Post by Sailfish »

After using and enjoying storm119's alteration to the Venerable Modern theme, Venerable Chrome Modern, I had requested and he has agreed to allow me to roll it into the Venerable Modern theme as a subskin. Below is a screenshot of it:

I think you will agree with me that it is a beautiful alternative for the theme.

To use it, you must first install the latest version of the theme, available here and then select the Venerable Modern theme. The subskin is available in both the Mozilla and Netscape versions.

Then, you simply add the following to your userChrome.css file:

Code: Select all

/*
 * Enable the Venerable Chrome Modern theme subskin
 */
@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/VCMstyles.css");

The subskin also skins the scrollbars, as can be seen. However, if you want the subskin's scrollbars in the content pane, you'll need to add the following to your userContent.css file:

/*
 * Enable the Venerable Chrome Modern scrollbars in the content window
 */
@import url("chrome://global/skin/subskin/VCMscrollbars.css");

otherwise, the standard Venerable Modern scrollbars will be displayed in the content area. Note: there is a nasty bug in the Mozilla (and Firefox, for that matter) trunks that makes this userContent.css override essential if using the theme there. This isn't a problem with 1.5 or 1.6 (nor Firebird 0.8 milestone) versions.

Lastly, I claim no ownership nor authorship for this subskin. Please direct all complements on it to storm119 exclusively. Since storm119 is the rightful owner, all suggestions for modifications to it need also be directed there, unless there is a problem with the subskin integration portion, in which case, I am the responsible party.
Eyes-Only

Post by Eyes-Only »

Really beautiful Sailfish! Wow! I love those chrome themes... :) This is truly eye-catching and would be great for those of us who work with their browsers/email clients for hours a day. Keep up the great work!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+
frease

Post by frease »

Cool skin!
Sailfish

Post by Sailfish »

Yes, it is a stunning subskin, kudos to storm119!

I forgot to mention that I've added another attribute to the theme so that one can still make specific VM userChrome.css overrides but also now make specific VCM overrides. Here's a couple of examples to illustrate how to do it:

/* MailNews Folder pane background color */
window[theme="M18"][subskin=""] #folderTree .tree-bodybox { background-color: red !important; }

changes only Venerable Modern

window[theme="M18"][subskin="VCM"] #folderTree .tree-bodybox { background-color: red !important; }

changes only Venerable Chrome Modern

window[theme="M18"] #folderTree .tree-bodybox { background-color: red !important; }

changes only Venerable Modern and Venerable Chrome Modern.