How do I transfer bookmarks stored in a JSON file?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
J2D

Re: How do I transfer bookmarks stored in a JSON file?

Post by J2D »

Im in the same boat i cant load my saved .JSON bookmarks. And i have alot of them that i lost like 2 yrs worth.

I have tried everything this sucks.
alabama_tom

Post by alabama_tom »

I am also totally pissed off at firefox... after three days of trying I finally got my bookmarks transferred to the new machine and now I rebooted and they are gone again...

Another couple of days at this and I will quit firefox forever. There is no need for this bs.
alabama_tom

Post by alabama_tom »

I followed the route of replacing the *.json backup file and then restored from the "choose file" list. Worked great. But now the thrill is gone. All my old book marks are gone again. and now I cannot get them back from the same file because it is suddenly unreadable.......
The old "unable to process file" message is disgusting to me as I have seen it too many times. This software company has software that defeats itself. wtf? The effort makes me tired, all work, no reward.
Tomorrow I'll do the stooge thing and totally repeat what I did tonight, hoping that it works. But what a stupid thing to do, repeating what you know does not work, over, and over, and over... sounds like the federal reserve system trying to make a sustainable financial system by printing more and more and more money.
flq2oc

Post by flq2oc »

There is a website that can take a json file and show you onscreen some of the contents of it. If you have a small number of bookmarks you may be able to recover them this way. Search these forums, the link was posted (I can't find it now). Also, a "binary to plain text" utility will probably give you the names of the bookmarks in your JSON file, but not the URLs. http://windowssecrets.com/support-alert ... nary-files
Also, hold on to your JSON files, don't delete them. Possibly, Firefox 3.1 will know better what to do with them.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You try a bookmarklet like this to extract http links:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){var E=document.getElementsByTagName('PRE')[0],T=E.innerHTML,i=0,r1,r2;t=new Array();while(/("uri":"([^"]*)")/g.exec(T)){r1=RegExp.$1;r2=RegExp.$2;if(/^https?:/.exec(r2)){t[i++]='['+(i)+']:<a href='+r2+'>'+r2+'<\/a>';}}with(window.open().document){for(i=0;t[i];i++)write(t[i]+'<br>');close();}})();
vira

Post by vira »

thanks paste worked
Pius

Post by Pius »

OK Tom, will look into it.

Sorry for the dullness dickvl, but how would I use the coding for the .json file? Need some instruction there.

Thanks.
guest44X

Post by guest44X »

I'm trying to ADD bookmarks from one (now wiped clean) computer to another, without deleting the bookmarks already on said 'new' computer. I saved the bookmarks from the old computer as a json file but I'm concerned that if I use RESTORE to import these bookmarks, I will erase the bookmarks already on the 'new' computer.

Any suggestions on a work around?

Thanks
trolly

Post by trolly »

Use "Import".

Make a clean profile, restore the JSON file and export it as HTML. Then go to your standard profile and import the HTML file.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
alterna

Post by alterna »

or

First, save the bookmarks in the "new computer" by Library > Import and Backup > Export html and save that to desktop

Then Library > Import and Backup > Restore > Choose File browse to your .json.. This wil REPLACE all your bookmarks

Then Library > Import and Backup > Import html, import the html you'd previously saved, this will ADD those bookmarks to the now current set.
"So it goes" - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
pariah01

Post by pariah01 »

I don't see "Import and Backup" or "Restore" functions in the "organize bookmarks" scheme.

All I see is "import" and "export."
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

You are using 2.0.0.20 and therefore do not use the *.json files. Your bookmarks are regular HTML files.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
pariah01

Post by pariah01 »

Oh. So upgrade and it'll work?
trolly

Post by trolly »

If you have a json file, yes. But FF2 does not create json files.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.

Post by Guest »

coyot's answer worked for me. thanks!