One Last Profile Dir Change!

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
aebrahim

Post by aebrahim »

Ben,

Please land this change on the trunk too simeltaneously, otherwise it is going to be a real nightmare to use trunk/branch builds on the same machine. Thanks.
Callek

Post by Callek »

and if you can Ben, would you consider moving SM profiles to mozilla/suite to prevent the mess....

especially the HUGE mess if a profile is named any case-mix of "Firefox" (win32)
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

If someone is creative enough to name their seamonkey profile as firefox, they deserve the mess ;-)
If you're not using Firefox, you're not surfing the web, you're suffering it.
Join the MZ folding@home team.
johnleemk

Post by johnleemk »

Ditto aebrahim. This wouldn't hurt as hard if you have separate profiles for Trunk and Branch like I do, though. I even split them - one trunk profile has one patched version of adblock, and the other trunk profile has a different patched version. It's cluttered and troublesome, but it works.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8b) Gecko/20050205 Firefox/1.0+
MonkeeSage

Post by MonkeeSage »

Will it work if I just symlink ~/.mozilla/firefox to ~/.firefox?

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G
"[M]en are usually satisfied with bad argument only when their convictions rest on other grounds." --John Oman
dnoam

Post by dnoam »

I believe the Firefox directory will be in the following place:
For Win/NT, 2000 and XP:
%APPDATA% = C:\Documents and Settings\<My name>\Application Data

For Win/9x and Win/Me:
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data
(%winbootdir% = C:\Windows)
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

Callek wrote:and if you can Ben, would you consider moving SM profiles to mozilla/suite to prevent the mess....

Breaking backwards compatibility wouldn't be an option, so to do that he'd also have to sort out profile migration from previous versions in Seamonkey... can't see that happening.

And as vfwlkr already said, the number of people who use Seamonkey and Firefox, and have a Seamonkey profile named "Firefox", is probably not high...
PhilipTaron

One consideration

Post by PhilipTaron »

Under Windows with roaming profiles, the application data data directory and all its contents -- including the Mozilla and Firefox cache -- get dragged around.

Might be worth considering also at this time splitting the cache and user data portions of the firefox directory on windows and putting it in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Mozilla\Firefox instead. Local Settings, by default, does NOT get replicated back to the server upon logout and is not propigated to the local machine upon login.

Would definitely help my login times, for sure :)
Mat

Re: One consideration

Post by Mat »

PhilipTaron wrote:Might be worth considering also at this time splitting the cache and user data portions of the firefox directory on windows and putting it in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Mozilla\Firefox instead. Local Settings, by default, does NOT get replicated back to the server upon logout and is not propigated to the local machine upon login.

I'd love it. Only put the Settings to the Server and Cache and whatever local.
michaell522

Post by michaell522 »

PhilipTaron wrote:Might be worth considering also at this time splitting the cache and user data portions of the firefox directory on windows and putting it in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Mozilla\Firefox instead. Local Settings, by default, does NOT get replicated back to the server upon logout and is not propigated to the local machine upon login.

Given the time pressure for the release, and the fact that the implementation has all now been done, it's probably a bit late to consider that.

Moving the cache by default would also confuse a lot of people who expect all the files to be in one place.

Those with special circumstances, like yourself, can manually change the location of the cache folder (see this Firefox help tip for details)
l.s

Post by l.s »

Moving the cache by default would also confuse a lot of people who expect all the files to be in one place.

This technical aspects should not be about what the user is expecting, but about how windows is organized.

The cache placement bug for Windows >=NT5 is discussed since Mozilla 0.6 It would really be time to fix this.

Giving the settings of every user in a Windows installation with roaming profiles a special treatment, is no real fun.

Regards, Lars
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

michaell wrote:
Callek wrote:and if you can Ben, would you consider moving SM profiles to mozilla/suite to prevent the mess....

Breaking backwards compatibility wouldn't be an option, so to do that he'd also have to sort out profile migration from previous versions in Seamonkey... can't see that happening.

And as vfwlkr already said, the number of people who use Seamonkey and Firefox, and have a Seamonkey profile named "Firefox", is probably not high...

Right, and that only affects Unix too, since on Window there's an extra level of indirection provided by the "Profiles" subdirectory.

There are a large number of Mozilla users and migrating them is a major task requiring a lot of effort which ultimately probably isn't worth it for a product that's on the path to obsolescence.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

aebrahim wrote:Ben,

Please land this change on the trunk too simeltaneously, otherwise it is going to be a real nightmare to use trunk/branch builds on the same machine. Thanks.

It can't go in on the trunk until bsmedberg lands his semi-single profile change there. however, by default for nightly build users all your data remains in APPDATA\Firefox, the profiles.ini registry in APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini refers back to that dir SO DO NOT DELETE IT!!!!

This way branch and trunk builds can use the same profile.
bengoodger

Post by bengoodger »

bengoodger wrote:
aebrahim wrote:Ben,

It can't go in on the trunk until bsmedberg lands his semi-single profile change there. however, by default for nightly build users all your data remains in APPDATA\Firefox, the profiles.ini registry in APPDATA\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles.ini refers back to that dir SO DO NOT DELETE IT!!!!

This way branch and trunk builds can use the same profile.

This is checked in, tomorrow's builds will have it.
LayZ

Post by LayZ »

Would definitely help my login times, for sure :)

This is bug 74085 (for the suite but the backend is shared by firefox).

I think this one should be looked into for Firefox because I know a lot of companies that use Windows roaming profiles and therefore this would make firefox a better solution.

Dave