Shrink the Toolbars to one line

Discussion of features in Mozilla Firefox
DanceMan

Post by DanceMan »

In IE, you use F11 to minimise the toolbar to one line. Riight click on the bar and click on address to add the address, which is not there by default. Right click again and choose something like options or customise, and you will get a box that lets you drag and drop the icons to add or remove them.

Been using Firefox for the last 24 hr. Did I mention I *love* tabbed browsing.:)
Ashamanic

Post by Ashamanic »

You could get rid of the titlebar, put everything else on one line and close/minimise with mouse gestures or the keyboard. Or from the file menu
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

Hey all

When you full screen firefox the three windows buttons (minimize, maximize, and close) will appear if you have the navigation toolbar visible. The odd thing is that they appear left justified and you can't put anything to the left of them on the toolbar. So put everything in you navigation toolbar then fullscreen. Note you can't move the menu onto the navigation toolbar. But maybe you can with an extension like compact menu.
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
polidobj
Location: Maryland USA - im in ur tinderbox, crashtesting ur firefox

Post by polidobj »

I'm not sure what fixed it but now my max, min, close buttons are on the right where they should be. I guess it was because the toolbar was empty when I made it visible. It may have also taken the restart of firefox that I did to fix it. But now I can't get compact menu to install. I did the install - restart - and nothing from compact menu is visible.

Also the status bar was appearing and messing things up when I was browsing in fullscreen. I think this may be due to the adblock button that's on the status bar. Also is there a way to show the status bar in full screen?
Brian J Polidoro - Today's bugs brought to you by Raid. :P
Windows7 - Firefox user since ~Feb 2002
kstahl

Post by kstahl »

DanceMan wrote:In IE, you use F11 to minimise the toolbar to one line. Riight click on the bar and click on address to add the address, which is not there by default. Right click again and choose something like options or customise, and you will get a box that lets you drag and drop the icons to add or remove them.

I must be missing something.

This is what I get when I press F11 in Firefox, everything on the same line.
http://www.e.kth.se/~e97_kjs/test/fullscreen.png
Sydbebad

Post by Sydbebad »

polidobj wrote:Hey all

When you full screen firefox the three windows buttons (minimize, maximize, and close) will appear if you have the navigation toolbar visible. The odd thing is that they appear left justified and you can't put anything to the left of them on the toolbar. So put everything in you navigation toolbar then fullscreen. Note you can't move the menu onto the navigation toolbar. But maybe you can with an extension like compact menu.

Nice, way cool!
jedy

Post by jedy »

What I'm gathering from this post is that in IE you can add the menubar to the fullscreen mode whereas it's not selectable for firefox, unless you use compact menu extension. Pretty much what polidobj said.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Ashamanic wrote:How do you do that in IE? I couldn't even move the icons around, let alone put them in the titlebar (on IE6)

You can drag the toolbars.
jedy

Post by jedy »

hao2lian wrote:
Ashamanic wrote:How do you do that in IE? I couldn't even move the icons around, let alone put them in the titlebar (on IE6)

You can drag the toolbars.

Try View/Toolbars and untick Lock The toolbars - your toolbars may be locked
lukeprog

Post by lukeprog »

UnScripted wrote:You can get everything down to one bar by right clicking the bar are customizing it, however you can not get the trio of minimise/resize/close on the same bar. Just use F11 for full screen mode.

What? Really? How? I've got the Googlebar and StumbleUpon toolbar that I'd like to be on the same line, right below the standard navigation toolbar. I can't seem to do it, though...
- Luke
popthoughts.blogsome.com
lukeprog.2ya.com
lukeprog

Post by lukeprog »

UnScripted wrote:You can get everything down to one bar by right clicking the bar are customizing it, however you can not get the trio of minimise/resize/close on the same bar. Just use F11 for full screen mode.

What? Really? How? I've got the Googlebar and StumbleUpon toolbar that I'd like to be on the same line, right below the standard navigation toolbar. I can't seem to do it, though...
- Luke
popthoughts.blogsome.com
lukeprog.2ya.com
lukeprog

Post by lukeprog »

- Luke
popthoughts.blogsome.com
lukeprog.2ya.com
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

lukeprog wrote:What? Really? How? I've got the Googlebar and StumbleUpon toolbar that I'd like to be on the same line, right below the standard navigation toolbar. I can't seem to do it, though...

You can't do it with those extensions. Mozilla (the suite) doesn't allow for the same level of toolbar customisation as Firefox, and those extensions are designed for compatibility with both the Mozilla suite and Firefox, and therefore are not as flexible. I suspect that UnScripted is talking about the regular toolbar elements, as noted before.
The Q

Post by The Q »

polidobj wrote:But now I can't get compact menu to install. I did the install - restart - and nothing from compact menu is visible.

Tyr this code in your userChrome.css (modify as necessary with menus you want/don't want):

Code: Select all

/* =============== Hide text menus */

/* menu[label="Edit"], /* Hide Edit menu */
/* menu[label="View"], /* Hide View menu */
menu[label="Go"], /* Hide Go menu */
menu[label="Bookmarks"], /* Hide Bookmarks menu */
/* menu[label="Tools"], /* Hide Tools menu */
menu[label="Help"]  /* Hide Help menu */ {
   display: none !important;
}

Simply put /* in front of menus you WANT to see. Voila! You don't need to use Compact Menu any more.
lukeprog

Post by lukeprog »

Okay, Cusser. Do you know if there are plans to allow for extensions that use the full capabilities of Firefox's customizability by sacrificing Mozilla Suite support?
- Luke
popthoughts.blogsome.com
lukeprog.2ya.com