Show Old Extensions 0.1.7

Talk about add-ons and extension development.
Pike

Post by Pike »

Compatible with: Firefox 0.8.0+ Aviary, Thunderbird 0.6+ Aviary

This extension shows old style extensions in the new Extension Manager, and allows you to access their options dialogs and to disable/enable them.

It probably needs a bit more work but since the Extensions panel in Options was removed today (2004-06-03) I decided to release a bit earlier than I had planned. This is a bit of an ugly hack even by my standards but it seems to work.

Note: Due to extension manager changes, using versions of SOE older than 0.1.6 can prevent the disabling of extensions in 0.9+ nightly builds (and presumably in 1.0PR and above). Please make sure you upgrade to the latest version available below.

Homepage: http://www.pikey.me.uk/mozilla/#soe
Last edited by Pike on November 16th, 2004, 1:45 am, edited 10 times in total.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Fascinating.

I wish the EM was on the trunk so that I could test this out.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Am I correct in assuming that you only need this if you plan to keep your existing profile/extensions when upgrading?
Pike

Post by Pike »

Cusser wrote:Am I correct in assuming that you only need this if you plan to keep your existing profile/extensions when upgrading?

As long as all the extensions you use are packaged for 0.9 you don't need this, however if any of them still use the pre-0.9 packaging system this allows you to access their Options dialogs and enable/disable them.

This extension probably has a pretty short shelf-life but hopefully it will be useful for some people during the transition period.
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Cool - thanks.
aaron

Post by aaron »

So if you're right, I'm understanding that the devs are removing themes and extensions from the options panel (the logical place that you would look for them) and replacing them with the tools menu items?
BenBasson

Post by BenBasson »

Sounds like it's already happened, at least, for extensions.
Pike

Post by Pike »

aaron wrote:So if you're right, I'm understanding that the devs are removing themes and extensions from the options panel (the logical place that you would look for them) and replacing them with the tools menu items?

Correct, as of this morning the Aviary branch builds no longer have the Extensions or the Themes panels in the Options window.
aaron

Post by aaron »

That's weird. Wonder why they decided to do that? I wonder if in the future the Options menu will be no more, and it will be replaced by items in the Tools menu?
ehume

Re: Show Old Extensions 0.1 test version

Post by ehume »

Pike wrote:. . . since the Extensions panel in Options was removed today . . .

That's really ugly.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
James

Post by James »

Thanks Pike

I have actually been thinking of this very same idea for a short time but never posted the idea.
Sailfish

Whoa! Sweet...

Post by Sailfish »

Pike, I'm not sure how long your extension will work for but it solves a big problem I addressed here, at least for Extension Development. How much difficulty would it be to extend the functionality to include the Theme Manager?

If you can get that to work, I know a lot of Extension/Theme developers who will make installing this extension Priority #1 for ongoing development.

Great piece of work you've done here.
Zulithe

Post by Zulithe »

Thank you Pike! This is bound to be useful!

I just installed a June 3rd build (zip) with a new profile because of the profile directory changes and installed my extentions (including this one in order to be able to access my 'legacy' extentions)

I installed MiniT ( http://mozilla.dorando.at/miniT.xpi ) but I noticed that it shows up twice in the extention manager. Once as green and once as red.

Maybe a problem with MiniT itself? Anyway, just something to look at maybe ... since I am not qualified, heh
Pike

Post by Pike »

Zulithe wrote:I installed MiniT ( http://mozilla.dorando.at/miniT.xpi ) but I noticed that it shows up twice in the extention manager. Once as green and once as red.

Fixed, you should be able to go into Tools->Extensions, select SOE and hit update to get the new version.

I should probably point out that hybrid extensions (those designed to work with 0.8 & 0.9) naturally show up twice, at the moment I have a hack in place to prevent this. One of the things I was hoping to do before release was to find a better solution, unfortunately with the earlier than planned release I haven't yet had the time, so this updated release is just tweaking the hack a bit rather than a real fix.
TheOneKEA

Post by TheOneKEA »

Does this extension work correctly with Thunderbird 0.6 Aviary? I installed it with no ill effect, and when I went to install ChromEdit, it momentarily appeared in the new EM above the entry created by SOE, and then vanished.
Proud user of teh Fox of Fire
Registered Linux User #289618