text/calendar attachments hidden

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
drytoast

text/calendar attachments hidden

Post by drytoast »

I just installed Thunderbird and I've got most of the stuff I want working. The only problem is people who send calendar invitations.

I know that there is no steadfast calendar integration at this time but I would still like to be able to save the text/calendar attachments to file and then import into Calendar/Sunbird. The problem is that the message display shows no attachments. When I view the message source, I can see two MIME sections, text/plain and text/calendar but I just get the text in the display, no attachments. I tried adding some stuff to the mimeTypes.rdf file but it didn't seem to help.

Is mimTypes the correct path or is this just a current issue? I've looked at the code but I'm not that familiar with it.

Here is the relavant data from the message with cut portions noted:

========================================

<header stuff>

MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C525BF.C68C6C80"
Content-class: urn:content-classes:calendarmessage

<header stuff>

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------_=_NextPart_002_01C525BF.C68C6C80
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<text here>

------_=_NextPart_002_01C525BF.C68C6C80
Content-class: urn:content-classes:calendarmessage
Content-Type: text/calendar;
method=REQUEST;
name="meeting.ics"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<calendar stuff here>

------_=_NextPart_002_01C525BF.C68C6C80--
Rod Whiteley

Post by Rod Whiteley »

I know this is no help to you, but when I have an attached .ics file in an e-mail, Thunderbird displays it as an attached file in the normal way. I changed the headers to look like your example, but this did not break it.

I can save the file, then import it into my calendar.

If I try to open the file directly from the e-mail when the Calendar extension is not already open, it opens and then hangs. If Calendar is already open, it opens the file as a new calendar.

My mimeTypes.rdf does not mention calendar.
Rod
drytoast

Post by drytoast »

Well it turns out that its the multipart/alternative bit that is messing it up. It selects the text/plain as the section it wishes to display. If I change that to multipart/mixed I get all the text in the message display as well as the ability to open/saveAs the ics attachment as a file.

Now to figure out how to get Thunderbird to pick the text/calendar part over the text/plain part.
daniel_skapunk

Re: text/calendar attachments hidden

Post by daniel_skapunk »

I had a similar problem.
I added a Content Type value in the windows xp registry to associate it with the text/calendar type and now everything works well.

I found the solution at:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=239292&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hope it helps.
Daifne

Re: text/calendar attachments hidden

Post by Daifne »

Er, this topic was from 2005. I really doubt that the OP is watching it any more. Please look at the dates the next time you offer help. Locking this ancient topic.