[Fx] MMx: 2004-06-04 [AVIARY/OS X] (O2 static)

Discussion of third-party/unofficial Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey builds.
MMx2000

[Fx] MMx: 2004-06-04 [AVIARY/OS X] (O2 static)

Post by MMx2000 »

Back in business!

Because there are no official OSX-nighties lately, I decided to build from AVIARY-branch again. (which the official nighties where actually built from, although they said "trunk")

I use the same mozconfig as is used for the official nighties, so it really should work everywhere the official ones do. I also included the MacOS 10.2.x-SDK.

here you go:
latest AVIARY_BRANCH builds

Greetings . . . Martin
Last edited by MMx2000 on June 6th, 2004, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?
ankh

Profile ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox for Aviary?

Post by ankh »

Does the Aviary version create a folder
/Users/ ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox, to create a new profile?

Your June 4th Trunk build created its new profile in a folder
/Users/ ~/Library/Firefox folder,

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8a2) Gecko/20040604 Firefox/0.8.0+ (MMx)

(which runs FINE, now that I'm using the hacked Adblock v37.)

But with Aviary, utter confusion again.

Aviary seemed to be creating a Firefox folder - one layer deeper in the directory, inside /Users/ ~/Library/Application Support/

I got strange results trying to use Aviary, seems it also created a second Profile folder alongside the one in ~/Library/Firefox on one try, then I wasn't sure where to copy in bookmarks, cookies, etc.

I can -- and will --remove ALL the 'Firefox' folders from Users and let Aviary create what it wants where it wants, start from scratch.

But once I do -- Can I copy forward these files that work with the Trunk 0604 build, after the Aviary build creates a Profile from scratch?

bookmarks cookies key3.db signons.txt?

Are there other files I can/should copy forward?
Other directories I need to hunt for? Like 'Mozilla' and 'Firebird' and 'Phoenix' directories -- still around, whether active or relicts I don't know.

Sign me ... braver than smart .... still testing.

I am so grateful to have an OSX thread to ask these questions -- the advice from people familiar with Windows or Linux was always well-intended but they didn't know how OSX places Firefox files!
ankh

Post by ankh »

OK, I didn't succeed at first -- just copying the old Profile into the /Application Support/ directory wasn't recognized. But letting this build:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040607 Firefox/0.8.0+ (MMx)

create its own Profile folder, letting it create a new Profile and name it, setting a cookie pref, quitting, dragging in the components from my older Profile --- worked so far. And with a bit of fumbling around I was able to get

http://www.eschew.org/misc/firefox/adbl ... aged01.xpi

to be accepted (opened the Tools/Extensions menu the first time and then clicked on the URL for the patched adblock and it was installed).

Aviary build seems definitely faster.
ankh

Post by ankh »

I'm always a few leaps behind -- I see today at the official site this is available --

[CMP] Firefox-mac.dmg.gz 09-Jun-2004 21:26 8.7M

anyone using it with OSX yet? Have you improved this one yet, MMx2000?
ankh

Post by ankh »

ok, I found your Aviary June 9th.

Works so far for me. G3, OSX 10.3.4, patched adblock
ankh

Post by ankh »

Still No Problems with

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040609 Firefox/0.8.0+ (MMx)

One oddity, one time -- during a long large download, I couldn't open a new window, the File menu just hilighted but nothing else happened; the only menu that worked was Help; once Help opened, everything else worked, and I couldn't get it to repeat.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Back from vacation, moving to

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040614 Firefox/0.8.0+ (MMx)

Still delighted. Never quite understood what "Aviary" means, but to me it means significantly faster response time on the screen in doing anything, compared to the other builds.
ankh

Post by ankh »

Jesse Ruderman (burningedge) confirmed for me, Aviary = 0.9

I've been using:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040626 Firefox/0.9 (MMx)

I see you've a new build:
firefox-mac-0_9_1_BRANCH-2004-06-27.dmg.bz2 27-Jun-2004 09:48 7.1M

in your directory at:
http://firefox.kicks-ass.org/download/u ... _1_BRANCH/

Thanks again and again!
MMx2000

Post by MMx2000 »

you are welcome.

I already announced my FIREFOX_0_9_1_BRANCH builds here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=90996

Today, Fx 0.9.1 is supposed to be released. Lets see :)

Greetings . . . Martin
In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?