Have to click every link twice (Mac OS X)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Schmye Bubbula

Have to click every link twice (Mac OS X)

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

This problem very well may have nothing to do with Frirefox, but if any group would have encountered this curiosity, it'd be you.

I almost always have to click every link twice to get a website to load.

Sometimes when clicking only once the site never loads, other times it loads only after an excruciating delay.

But if I click twice in succession, webites load normally & rapidly.

I'm not the only one with this problem, and in other browsers, such as Safari:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=251788

But alas, no solutions there, either.

What's up with that? Has anyone else experienced this annoyance?
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
• MacBook Pro (5,2) 17-inch, "Mid 2009"
Doomster1961

Re: Have to click every link twice (Mac OS X)

Post by Doomster1961 »

I'm using Firefox 3.0.5 (like you are using ) and have had similar problems with earlier versions but haven't had the problem since I installed the malware Microsoft update on the double-clicker trojan virus. They say that the Mac is invulnerable to internet viruses, is this true ? because I'm thinking that my next major computer upgrade will either be LINUX or the Mac OS. I'm so tired of Microsoft and it's control over every aspect of computer use. Sorry for going on but I wish you luck in solving this problem.
Intel ....
mzfuser
Folder@Home

Post by mzfuser »

See if anything in this thread helps: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1021765
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

mzfuser wrote:See if anything in this thread helps: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1021765

My Flash Internet Plug-in may be the culprit, as one fellow suggested in that thread.
I removed it and one of my worst-offender websites, Zap2it.com, tentatively seems more responsive now.
I'll give it a day and report back here whether that's really it.
Thanks and a tip o' the hat to mzfuser!
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

OK, I think I have good news, although curious in one respect.
After over a day of surfing, the necessity of having to click twice on most links to get a rise out of them seems to have largely vanished.
What I did was upgrade from the Flash 9 Internet plug-in, to the latest & greatest v10.
The curiosity is that on major download sites there are many comments complaining of hangs and sluggishness associated with v10, and their problems went away when downgrading back to v9.
So I dunno', but things are going better for now, and I'm not going to argue with it.
Maybe it's not the Flash Player plug-in version per se, but rather some change triggered by the changed version, such as some cache getting flushed or a cookie getting altered.
Now I'm just interested academically - anyone else involved with this issue?
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
cate44cate

Post by cate44cate »

I have no idea, but I have flash also, I think 9 - and I have to click on everything 2 or 3 times... and wait for a cursor to appear when i want to type something. i have a 4 year old imac g5/i just downloaded and used mac janitor and anacron, so maybe things will go better, but my computer sounds like its so stressed out and i want to just put it out of its misery and buy a new one, but the new macs will put me in debt, wish i wasn't so mac-spoiled.
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

After several days, the necessity of having to click more than once on a link to get some (but not all) sites to begin loading is slowly but surely returning. Now what?
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

I have a suggestion. Take a look at these web links. When I had to see what my bank account was doing , I logged onto Scotiabank.ca and I was also shown sites that use cookies and double-clicking (The nerve center of digital marketing). You and countless others might find this scary or interesting, at the very least.

http://www.doubleclick.com/privacy/index.aspx
http://mozilla.gunnars.net/firefox_help_firefox_cookie_tutorial.html
http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp

I hope these help because I now know what double clicking is all about and it covers Mac and Apple, as well. This is the legitimate way of invading privately owned and operated computers, just to make sure that you are who you say you are. Police force of the internet. Pretty soon everyone will have to have a web cam installed or they won't be recognized by the person operating the other computer or business server.
Intel ....
Bluefang

Post by Bluefang »

Doomster1961

That has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. DoubleClick has nothing to do with actual clicking. It's a shady, targeted advertisement and tracking company.
There have always been ghosts in the machine... random segments of code that have grouped together to form unexpected protocols. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul...
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

Double Click technology is the nerve center of digital marketing and is being accepted WORLDWIDE. It is used today for tracking legitimate user's online and will help prevent privacy invasion and unwanted use by someone else.
So YES, it does apply to this thread and many other Posts pertaining to problems that people are having while browsing the WWW.
The other fact is that Google Inc. is the industry endorsing this technology and you know how big Google. The link will prove it .
http://www.doubleclick.com/trademarks/index.aspx

The true reason that your double clicking is no longer required and only one click is required, is because now, the website that you were using before, knows who you are (IP address or basic user info) and is allowing you to use their site. If you feel that the site that you had a problem with before, is legit, than ALLOW that site to use a cookie (Firefox Cookie management settings (Exceptions)) and "allow for session". This way when you Close Firefox and have the "delete cookies" checked off in Privacy Data Removal Popup Window, Firefox will not erase those specific installed cookies and you shouldn't have any more problems with that legit website.
I hope this helps. :)
Last edited by Doomster1961 on February 6th, 2009, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel ....
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Doomster1961, we appreciate your alerts, but after reading your links about DoubleClick and Google, unless I'm missing something they indeed have nothing to do with the problem concerning this thread. Possibly your seeing the phrase, "having to double-click a link to get a response" flagged it for you regarding these - as you indicate - abominations to the Internet.

But what we're talking about is having to click links to many websites more than once to get an *initial* rise out of the web browser at all. We're inquiring whether it reflects a DNS problem, some cache problem, a cookie problem, or something along those lines.

While we also recognize the well-known sluggishness that can be experienced loading sites associated with looking down at the status bar and see it hung on an unresponsive or hammered/busy doubleclick.com redirect, this is not what we're talking about, inasmuch as the discussion of this thread involves delays before even the first inkling of a response is observed in the status bar.
• Firefox 45.9.0 ESR
• Mac OS X 10.6.8
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think this has nothing to do with Firefox, so maybe you shouldn't of posted this problem in the first place. Sorry.
Intel ....
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think this has nothing to do with Firefox, so maybe you shouldn't of posted this problem in the first place. Sorry.
I did try your link, Schmye Bubbula, in your original beginning POST and can't see it. My computer just stays idle with an hour glass, turning and turning. That's strange? So I ran my Task Manager and I went to Process Explorer (which you wouldn't know about because you use a Mac) and Task Manager loaded quickly (with no hesitation) and the Task Manager (Process Explorer) told me that my internet Firewall and antivirus was being attacked but Firefox (running) showed no sign of being effected. Maybe the site is to blame?
Intel ....
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Doomster1961...
Just to let you know...
Being reg'd, you have the ability to "Edit" your posts.
Saves you having to re-post the same stuff info all the time.
Thanks.
Oh, 'n just because he's running a Mac, does not mean that he doesn't know of Process Explorer/Manager etc.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Doomster1961

Post by Doomster1961 »

Sorry but when I submitted my updated Post, Firefox was updating (downloading) and it wouldn't allow me to do anything. Just the hour glass. It kept saying...downloading from "forums.mozillaznine.org"? #-o
Intel ....