Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
couldabeen

Post by couldabeen »

Well, that sucks, I sure hope Arvid's Qute is going to still be availabe to us.
I've seen an example in another thread of the 'new' pinstripe based theme, and I don't like it.
The Qute theme has been 'standard' for so long, I really don't see a reason to change, but then I am not one that counts I guess.
I also the FX devs don't take the same attitude that later Netscape devs did. As in "This is the way I want it and that's the way it will be regardless.
Free Your Mind, And Your A$$ Will Follow - Funkadelic, 1970
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

GNU/Ben wrote:This is about the default Firefox theme. There can only be one default.

my mistake, I misread. However, should an email from Ben be posted here without his permission? Where's the respect for privacy?

That said, it is their product and they can do what they wish. Nothing is preventing a standalone release of the theme as Ben clearly encourages.
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

Is this really happening?
I never imagine this could actually happen. I've thought of this before ever since I heard of the Mozilla Visual Identity Team creating desktop icons for Firefox and Thunderbird. As they have the ability to create desktop icons, of course they can create toolbar icons too, maybe <em>new</em> icons to replace Qute. I couldn't believe that Pinstripe will be used instead. Bad choice, Ben.
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Except for the new throbber I love the current theme. I think the throbber should be changed and everything else about the theme left the same.
Firefox 1.0RC1 [20041026]
Thunderbird 0.9 [20041103]
Ubuntu Linux
Arvid Axelsson

Post by Arvid Axelsson »

CeleronXL wrote:Is the problem that you do not want the Qute throbber replaced with something else?

The Q throbber was certainly unfit (and the new one perhaps not that great although the decision must have been taken before it was included). The only reason I didn't come up with something better sooner is that I don't find animations very fun to do. I didn't hear anything from them about it, however. All I know about the "problem" is what Ben wrote now.
Arvid Axelsson

Post by Arvid Axelsson »

couldabeen wrote:I've seen an example in another thread of the 'new' pinstripe based theme, and I don't like it.

Where?
roachfiend

Not totally clear...

Post by roachfiend »

As a result we've decided to pursue a new path for the Firefox browser that we distribute, which involves replacing Qute with a free alternative developed by Kevin Gerich and Stephen Horlander as a Windows variant of Pinstripe.

Does this mean that you wanted royalties for the theme? If so, then I don't blame them for switching to a free alternative, after all, that's what this browser is all about.
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

kainashi wrote:who said it was going to look exactly like the mac os x version? ?_?

Well, if part of their reason for the switch is to make Firefox look more consistent, then it'd sort of have to look like the OSX version. As I said in my earlier post, it'd just be the icons, keeping the native-esque widgets, but the icons are *not* a good match with anything other than Aqua widgets.

BTW, here's how Pinstripe looks on XP.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

I honestly don't think it looks bad at all.
Arvid Axelsson

Re: Not totally clear...

Post by Arvid Axelsson »

roachfiend wrote:Does this mean that you wanted royalties for the theme? If so, then I don't blame them for switching to a free alternative, after all, that's what this browser is all about.

Not at all. He means some kind of free license. I preferred not having this but as I wrote, it would have been ok.
avih

Post by avih »

hmmm... disturbing.
i like the qute theme very much. been using phoenix before it had qute (was it pinball?), and i was so happy to see the clean qute, and it's my favorite since. i tried many (the phoenity 'series' comes second for me), but i always come back for qute. clean, elegant, pleasent, not radical yet refreshing (including the new qute variant on the latest nightlies). and blends beautifully with win and linux (never tried a mac). like comming back home ;)

since Arvid has expressed his oppinion about changing the license (he can live with that), i don't see it as an issue anymore (at least not from the mozilla side, Arvid might think otherwise).

so i suggest here to open a poll about a [possibly] new theme for the 'fox suite'. it IS a community afterall, and i'd like to think that the community still counts.

regardless of whether such poll will take place, and whether or not the default theme will be replaced, i'd like to thank Arvid for his excellent and professional work. cheers mate ;)

avih
Tried SmoothWheel already?
chengkhoon

Post by chengkhoon »

CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

Dear God that is awful.
Julan

Post by Julan »

There is an image of the new theme, in the firefox builds forum, linked above as you can see it is different to the pin stripe theme on MacOS, but the new theme looks very windows-centric to me, (look at the new window icon) i wonder if they plan on having a different window icon for the GTK based firefox??
Hooded One

Post by Hooded One »

Wow, ok, not only are those icons less than awesome (they look like the style of icons that were all the rage in the Win95 days, albeit with more colors), they barely increase consistency across platforms compared to Qute.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
SuSE Linux 9.2, Kernel 2.6.8, KDE 3.3.2