Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847) adds extension

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Gopher John

Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847) adds extension

Post by Gopher John »

A half hour ago, I ran WindowsUpdate, which found Microsoft Net 3.5 Service Pack and a language update for same. After update and restart, the update completed in the Admin account. Upon logging out and then into a Limited User Account on Windows XP Pro SP3, I started Firefox.

I found that this Microsoft Update had installed the extension Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0. It also installed the plugin Windows Presentation Foundation.

I am a home user, and I don't believe that I have any need for .NET at all, especially in Firefox. I think that I am going to disable or uninstall these two items.
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
starfire42

Re: Microsoft NET 3.5 SP (KB951847) adds extension

Post by starfire42 »

First of all, what's your question? Are you asking what those extensions do, or simply what we think of disabling them? I'll answer the first one.

Windows Presentation foundation is Microsoft's challenger to Adobe's Flash. As such, it's used extensively on Microsoft's, and some of their partners' sites. The .Net framework allows you to get the full functionality of sites that rely .net code for ... I'm not sure what.

In other words, they're both just plugins to properly display the few websites that use those technologies. I doubt you'll notice any difference from them (or from removing them).
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

starfire42 wrote:First of all, what's your question? Are you asking what those extensions do, or simply what we think of disabling them? I'll answer the first one.

Windows Presentation foundation is Microsoft's challenger to Adobe's Flash. As such, it's used extensively on Microsoft's, and some of their partners' sites. The .Net framework allows you to get the full functionality of sites that rely .net code for ... I'm not sure what.

In other words, they're both just plugins to properly display the few websites that use those technologies. I doubt you'll notice any difference from them (or from removing them).

Yes, I was wondering about the Presentation Foundation plugin. In other words, it is just another MS proprietary project. I doubt that I'll need it so it will be disabled.

The .NET Framework Assistant's description is "Adds ClickOnce support and the ability to report installed .NET Framework versions to the web server". There again, I doubt that the home user running Firefox has a need for that. If they are both disabled, I'll notice no loss. :)
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein
craig100

Post by craig100 »

I am incandescent about MS adding this to MY FF installation without so much as a "by your leave" AND THEN not giving the option to uninstall it. The naive arrogance of MS is the absolute limit and why, after 10 years of web development on MS platforms I'm now moving to Linux.

Here's hoping the Mozilla Foundation are having words with the bully boys to stop them interefering in such a way!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

LIMPET235 wrote:See > viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1064585

That got rid of the extension. Thanks.

Is there a way to remove the Windows Presentation Platform plugin that also was installed by .NET 3.5? I'll also have to reset my useragent string. :evil:
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not sure but you could search on the MSDN site.. MSDN..
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Gopher John

Post by Gopher John »

LIMPET235 wrote:Not sure but you could search on the MSDN site.. MSDN..

I enabled the Windows Presentation Foundation and restarted Firefox. The path to the plugin NPWPF.DLL was C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation. I just renamed it to NPWPF.DLL.bad with Firefox closed. On restart of Firefox, the plug-in was no longer listed in Add-ons. :D

For the useragent string, I used About:config. In the Filter area, type in Microsoft. There should be two strings.

general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet;(.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
microsoft.CLR.clickonce.autolaunch;false

Select each, right click and reset the strings. On exiting and restarting Firefox those two strings are gone. :)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I shall now move this to the Tech Forum..

tmr250z

Post by tmr250z »

Gopher John wrote:I enabled the Windows Presentation Foundation and restarted Firefox. The path to the plugin NPWPF.DLL was C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Windows Presentation Foundation. I just renamed it to NPWPF.DLL.bad with Firefox closed. On restart of Firefox, the plug-in was no longer listed in Add-ons. :D

For the useragent string, I used About:config. In the Filter area, type in Microsoft. There should be two strings.

general.useragent.extra.microsoftdotnet;(.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
microsoft.CLR.clickonce.autolaunch;false

Select each, right click and reset the strings. On exiting and restarting Firefox those two strings are gone. :)

Thanks, Gopher John.
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

The Windows Presentation Foundation plugin for Firefox is to get Fx to recognize and use XAML and XABP.

Which is basically MS's version of XUL. Its apart of .NET and is always distributed.

I have no idea why the CLR has to be an extension though. I guess this only affects Windows XP users.
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

its an extension on vista to here
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I'm about to use this topic (and the other main one on this subject matter) but was wondering....the next time I go to Windows update and if/when there is even a minor update to this Net3.5 stuff I wonder if MS is going to mess these changes up and this has to be done all over again.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
supergirl260

Post by supergirl260 »

that your have to ask microsoft but id say probably
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

supergirl260 wrote:its an extension on vista to here

I've never seen that particular extension on my installs throughout my time installing .NET updates for Vista. I see it all the time in XP installs.

Though, they might have changed it.