Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

They reduce consistency IMO. How does that work on Linux consistency?
cheeaun

Post by cheeaun »

The icons are 'consistent' through out the Mozilla apps for all OS, but not 'consistent' with the UI of each OS. Now, which 'consistent' are the Mozilla developers talking?
Phoenity http://phoenity.com/
You should follow me on Twitter here http://twitter.com/cheeaun
rgw

Post by rgw »

Arvid, you got the shaft. Your theme was great though, I'll probably continue to use it.
yeah...I own.
PhoenixNostalgia

Post by PhoenixNostalgia »

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

I mirrored this pic from another thread. The other buttons look very Pinstripe, but the main navigation buttons look just...so old looking.

Please Ben, don't let this happen. Its just godawful. I know we have themes available to us, but these just make Firefox look even worse looking than IE6!

I know Qute's back/forward buttons and home button look a lot like IE6, but please...have some kinda contest or something to get some imaginative talent out there (cough, lynchknot, cough) to bring about a variety of ideas to the table instead of going with something that looks like its straight from the early 90's. I know somebody out there can design something so nice that people who dont mess with themes can have a nice looking browser. Kevin did a great job for Mac TB, but those buttons I pictured above just look so unoriginal. I know you guys are going for uniformity, but really, I know Kevin is doing this, but how does that above look anything like the amazing job Kevin is doing for the Mac? Nobody will even think that that looks uniform with OSX, as the Windows buttons just look old compared to Kevin's Mac theme.
Last edited by PhoenixNostalgia on June 5th, 2004, 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bangbang023

Post by bangbang023 »

Wow, that theme is not good at all. I thought there were going to use the OS X buttons.
steppenwulf241

Post by steppenwulf241 »

cheeaun wrote:Is this really happening?
I never imagine this could actually happen. I've thought of this before ever since I heard of the Mozilla Visual Identity Team creating desktop icons for Firefox and Thunderbird. As they have the ability to create desktop icons, of course they can create toolbar icons too, maybe <em>new</em> icons to replace Qute. I couldn't believe that Pinstripe will be used instead. Bad choice, Ben.

What he said... no offense to the new theme authors - but what I have seen so far is just a monstrosity... Ben should have known better. Please mind that I have heretofore really liked Ben and his work with Firefox, but this is kinda daft. Why cant we just have some stability with the decent material we have, instead of fixing things that arent broken to begin with...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
kainashi

Post by kainashi »

i see nothing wrong with this new theme.
CeleronXL

Post by CeleronXL »

kainashi wrote:i see nothing wrong with this new theme.
Then you lack eyes. :((kidding) It may not really be that bad on its own, but as compared to Qute it's nothing.
Last edited by CeleronXL on June 5th, 2004, 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysKin

Re: Not totally clear...

Post by sysKin »

Arvid Axelsson wrote:
roachfiend wrote:Does this mean that you wanted royalties for the theme? If so, then I don't blame them for switching to a free alternative, after all, that's what this browser is all about.

Not at all. He means some kind of free license. I preferred not having this but as I wrote, it would have been ok.

Hi,
I think you really need to clear up this first - I have to admit that having firefox half-free is somehow wrong. Official FF builds just can't be so much different than unofficial ones, that's the point of free software.

It seems that Ben Goodger assumed that you will not make Qute free. If it's not the case, than it's more like misunderstanding right now.

However, I have to comment this "consistency accross platforms" argument - now you've got to be kidding me! We had big ugly flame wars about it, and developers strongly opposed that. "Middle mouse button means paste on linux" they said. "Backspace does not mean back on anything but windows" they claimed. All similar requests were immidietly WONTFIXed, consistency with OS was always more important.
Are you changing your mind now, or what? Will you re-open the middle-click bug?

Regards everyone,
Radek
kainashi

Post by kainashi »

the more i look at it, the more it looks like bluecurve.
PhoenixNostalgia

Yes, very bluecurve-ish. I wonder what the author of that theme will have to say.
ehume

Post by ehume »

I really enjoyed the Qute theme, and thought it made a great default. Of course, I enjoy SphereGnome even more, and it is my own personal default; but Arvid's theme gave Firebird and Firefox a great look.

Pinstripe looks like a Mac OSX native theme. The icons on the preview block look like early-1990's icons. <sigh> The old Phoenix theme was better.
Firefox: Sic transit gloria mundi.
Relativity_17

Post by Relativity_17 »

It looks like there is a fair amount of Luna injected into those images. How exactly is "winstripe" going to fit with Linux themes?

The improvements to Qute recently looked nice. Why throw that away?
steeler_fan

Post by steeler_fan »

This Checkin references "gnomestripe" (mozilla/toolkit/themes/gnomestripe/*)
Last edited by steeler_fan on June 5th, 2004, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil
PhoenixNostalgia

Yeah, the 4th icon to the left on the bottom has a luna window. How strange.