want to open links in background

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
gerhardps

want to open links in background

Post by gerhardps »

Is there a way (addon or pref) to have firefox not jump to the front when I open a link from another app? Ie..if I have multiple links in thunderbird to open every time I click on it will open a tab in firefox (i have tab-mix plus) but firefox is called to the front over mail program, and then I have to click on thunderbird to open the other links and continue the process..any help greatly appreciated.
seaton

Re: want to open links in background

Post by seaton »

I'm trying to find an answer for this as well. I want to be able to open multiple links in Thunderbird without leaving the message window, but currently Firefox pops up each time a link is clicked, which means that I have to switch back to Thunderbird to continue clicking the remaining links in the message. It would be much better if the links could be loaded in Firefox in the background, leaving me free to continue with what I am doing until I am ready to switch over to the browser.

So far, I haven't found an answer to this question, but a Google search indicates that it seems to have been asked a number of times in various forums, so I know I'm not alone in wondering how to do this. Oddly enough, a colleague who also uses Thunderbird claims that his installation *always* works the way I would like mine to; so I assume that it is possible...right?
seaton

Re: want to open links in background

Post by seaton »

Ah, I was thinking it may be a setting in Thunderbird that needed changing, but the thread at the URL below suggests that changing browser.tabs.loadDivertedInBackground (*in Firefox*) to "true" will have the desired effect. It certainly seems to have worked in my case. :-)

See:
Pages opening up in background tabs when I click a link
viewtopic.php?p=2817979