Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
esavior

Post by esavior »

Thumper I went ahead and removed the word screwing your right. I dont mean this to be a battle, and plus I am sure it wont look that out of place, plus if it is I can just download a crystal theme and all is good again. The average linux user will probably know how to install themes anyways, plus I bet if firefox ships with a OS that defaults to KDE it will come with a KDE theme. :D

Sometimes I post too quicky, I think we are all guilty of that.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
unweak

Post by unweak »

esavior wrote:Thumper I went ahead and removed the word screwing your right. I dont mean this to be a battle, and plus I am sure it wont look that out of place, plus if it is I can just download a crystal them and all is good again. The average linux user will probably know how to install themes anyways, plus I bet if firefox ships with a OS that defaults to KDE it will come with a KDE theme. :D

No. Afaik SuSE and Mandrake doesn't even install any Mozilla or Firefox by default. IMHO Konqueror ist still the best choice for KDE users because Mozilla / Firefox is too slow on a KDE desktop.
classic66coupe

I don't like this new default theme.

Post by classic66coupe »

I have been pretty positive towards firefox in the past. I have recommened it to many of my friends. I download nightly builds to help test. This new theme looks like crap. I hope the old one is at least included.
esavior

Post by esavior »

I dont know about the CDs but on Suse 9.1 FTP install, Firefox shows up. Does anyone have the cd version of suse and can confirm/deny that it ships with pay(professional of course) version?
Last edited by esavior on June 7th, 2004, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
kepardue

Post by kepardue »

Disclaimer: I'm rough guessing on these figures.

Knowing that many Mozilla users are Linux/Mac, I do not mean to offend with this statement but... Mozilla needs market share. Roughly 90% of the market uses Microsoft. Probably less than half of that even know about alternatives such as Macintosh or Linux, and many, many fewer people than that care. So, keeping such a consistent look across the board does not apply to that many folks, and is far overshadowed by the usability benefits of designing something that fits in WELL with native Windows, native Linux, and native Macintosh.

Joe Q. User is going to say, "Linux? What'n tarnation's Linux? Sounds like s'mthin' you put ointment on to me. It doesn't look like my Dell with Winders."

In the end what really matters is how good the product is and how well it is marketed, not the fact that it could look the same across all platforms.

Kenneth
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Currently, Winstripe is miles away (and a decade behind), but Qute comes mightly close--closer than most Windows apps. I could care less what the beef is about licensing. If the artist behind Qute is ready to play ball, then PLEASE everyone kiss and make up so we can have a default Windows theme that looks like, well, Windows!

It doesn't fit with WinXP ... as yet.

Check other Window apps. The color palette, if nothing else, resemebles something very close to the default Luna look.
Do the team develop Firefox only for themselves?

No, they don't. It's the team's options to use Mozillazine Forum's members' opinions or not. If they choose not to, they don't. You won't get an answer here, since they don't browse the forums (since it's mostly support questions). I suggest you ask them by email or newsgroup.
I have no idea how much that consensus means to the team...

Since they've already contacted another theme developer and posting the emails on this forums has probably shot the relationship away to Hell, I doubt Qute will be used as the default theme.
You know, it'd be nice if Firefox (and Thunderbird) packaged a small sampling of themes in with the point release builds.

It is my understanding that they will package some extensions with future Firefox releases, so there is a strong possibility that themes might come with it too.
an other question: if we want FireFox to have the Windows Look and feel (on Windows Systems), why not use those icons from Microsoft?

That would be considered as "stealing artwork" since Microsoft does not license their artwork to the public domain.
Without the starter of this post, this theme would probably just have 'appeared' in the nightlies and release 0.9 prompting some/many downloaders to come on here and start multiple "t3h nue th3m3 is g3y!!!1" threads.

Doubtful. Ben has been pretty good at informing the Mozillazine Forums of changes (Profile Folder change, all the API changes, etc). Plus, despite beliefs that he doesn't, he probably does want opinions on the new theme.
who should burn? is it arvid? is it firefox?
i don't consider that constructive, either.

"Burn, baby, burn" is a common catchphrase used to denote the commencement of an event. It's called an idiom.
If the licensing is a concern, and I can understand how it could be, negotiate with Arvid and be done with it, he already stated he's fine with changing it.

It's too late, if the reactions of Arvid and Ben in this thread are any indication.
Is there anything stopping a group of evangelizers from taking point releases and repackaging them with the default theme being Qute?

Yes, I'm think, although not too sure, that Arvid's license would prohibit this. Plus, there hasn't been an installable Qute theme package for a while.
so? why are you dicussing this here then?

Why is everyone bitching about a simple theme?

Because logic is an alien concept to all of us.
If you put the winstripe home icon and IE home icon side-by-side, it is obvious that winstripe is not even attempting to follow any part of the winxp look.

Colors used in both: red, white, some orange. All that's missing is the perspective. Your point?
If it was so dang important to follow the Apple UI guidelines, then why is it not important to follow the Microsoft UI guidelines?

Because there are none?
this is not working. It makes Firefx looks like Win95 or something like that.

Win95 is pixelized and is usually grayscale. This looks nothing like Win95. If you're going to use this on Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, and 2000's default grey background, of course it's going to look off.
<New FX user> I do not like it. The icons are ugly.
<FX Evangelist> But it looks the same on all platforms!
<New FX user> You mean it looks ugly on each platform?
<FX evangelist> ...

While the theme is not Qute, nor does it completely fit with the Luna look, to call it ugly is an overstatement. The colors fit, they don't clash, it's a nice balance between minimal and colorful, etc.
Does Mac OS X auto smooth graphics?

No, but Quartz is very good at making pretty things look even prettier.
For the sake of uniform look and feel, you sacrifice the uniqueness of each platform.

Apart from the shapes, Pinstripe and Winstripe are very different. Anybody who've used Aqua knows that.
Doesn't Opera use a Pinstripe-esque sort of theme? Admittedly it's been a long time since I tried out Opera, but when I saw the first Pinstripe screenshots my first thought was "it looks like Opera now."

Nah, Opera bases its theme around a light blue color and Aqua generally uses more colors and has more of a clearer, sharper look to it.
I'm looking forward to seeing this new winstripe theme.

New branch builds include them, but beware: all 0.8 themes and extensions have been broken and you need to download the updated version, if such a version exists.
I only see a lot of broken UI guidelines.

Windows has no such UI guidelines, as far as I know. And a theme cannot break UI guidelines. A theme can only break the "look and feel" of an application compared to other applications. And, in my opinion, Winstripe looks like Luna, while sacrificing Win95/98/etc.
Just scrap it, it's the ugliest shit ever made, looks like the works of a 5 year old half retarded kid

Have you seen any of Kevin Gerich's work?! He made the Firefox icons, the Thunderbird icons, and the Pinstripe theme. All three things have been applauded by almost everybody. To say Winstripe is ugly is simply clouded judgment. While it may not fit with Luna, it may not agree with you, etc, it's not ugly.
I fail to see the logic in that if KDE did not want to work with mozilla, mozilla should ignore half of the linux users.

If I think correctly, Mozilla does not work with the Qt toolkit because of licensing issues.
Afaik SuSE and Mandrake doesn't even install any Mozilla or Firefox by default.

Nah, but it's offered (Mozilla at least), and they are pretty popular options.
This new theme looks like crap.

Sigh.
logan

Post by logan »

w3bst3r wrote:Just scrap it, it's the ugliest shit ever made, looks like the works of a 5 year old half retarded kid

baba-booey, baba-booey! Howard Stern's Penis! baba-booey!
infernux

Post by infernux »

@esavior

KDE dicided not to go with mozilla, gnome didn't... so it's actually a logical consequence that there will be gnomestripe, not kdestrip. but hey... if mozilla/firefox would pick up the icons from the DE theme (wich is actually a freedesktop standart), this would benefit KDE, too.
esavior

Post by esavior »

hao2lian I dont know if this is what you are looking for but here is something <a href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/shared/deeptree/asp/rightframe.asp?dtcfg=/library/deeptreeconfig.xml&url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/winxpicons.asp?frame=true&hidetoc=false">Maybe Guidelines?</a> oh and logan maybe its not the best idea to respond to a random post with a even MORE random post lol.
shadytrees

Post by shadytrees »

Nah, those are icon guidelines, not UI. I'm looking for something like
http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... uidelines/

Those icons guidelines are where I base my color-palette arguments, though.
esavior

Post by esavior »

Geeze thats really detailed! No wonder ever mac app seems to fit together so well.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
Myzar

Post by Myzar »

logan wrote:
w3bst3r wrote:Just scrap it, it's the ugliest shit ever made, looks like the works of a 5 year old half retarded kid

baba-booey, baba-booey! Howard Stern's Penis! baba-booey!

Just deal with reality, it's just plain ugly at best
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

Agreed, there are no Windows UI guidelines. Never have been to my knowledge. What everyone is talking about are the icon design "suggestions", since MANY Windows apps don't follow them (not that that's an excuse, just pointing out that MS is NOWHERE NEAR as diligent about enforcement as Apple). Either way, people have been constantly pointing to "UI Guidelines" which do not exist.

Sigh.
sasquatch

Post by sasquatch »

I just went to http://texturizer.net/firefox/themes/ and the Winstripe theme isn't listed there.

Is that the right name? Where do I find it?

Thanks.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

it's in the newest nightly (and will be from here on out). Not seperately downloadable.