Firefox won't delete cookies?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
HeyThereItsMe

Firefox won't delete cookies?

Post by HeyThereItsMe »

A strange issue I started noticing yesterday:

I use ccleaner for cleaning up cookies, cache and everything else. But I noticed that recently for some reason I stay logged in on some sites (for instance youtube) This never happened before and so far I only noticed it with a few sites. Other sites, such as yahoo, will log me out after running ccleaner. It also only happens in firefox, I tried it with chrome and it did log me out. So what's the deal? At first I thought youtube was using some kind of "supercookie" but then I noticed that I'm only having this problem in firefox. So I decided to post about it here. Am I the only one having this problem? Anybody else here use ccleaner who knows what I'm talking about?

Re: Firefox won't delete cookies?

Post by Guest »

Do you have the most up-to-date version of ccleaner? Maybe they don't know how to work with the current cookie file which is in cookies.sqlite. Cookies.txt is no longer used.
but why30

Post by but why30 »

if you want to delete all your cookies,

click Tools, Options, Privacy tab, [show cookies], [remove all cookies]
HeyThereItsMe

Post by HeyThereItsMe »

Yeah I use the most recent version of ccleaner. In fact it auto-updated today but still I stay logged in after running it. Ccleaner is rather popular, if there's anyone else here who has it maybe they can try this for me: go to youtube (or some other site) and log in. Don't log out. Close firefox browser and run ccleaner and clean everything. Then restart firefox and go to youtube again to see if you're still logged in. Thanks in advance.
HeyThereItsMe

Post by HeyThereItsMe »

if you want to delete all your cookies,

click Tools, Options, Privacy tab, [show cookies], [remove all cookies]

This worked! I even cleaned some cookies from other sites that were still there. I would have thought that ccleaner would clean everything but apparently it doesn't. It seems the problem is on their end, I'll post about it on their forums too. Thanks.
bwdIk

Post by bwdIk »

i think ccleaner is doing alright as it is; most people would NOT want all their cookies deleted, it takes too much effort & time to accumulate the "right" cookies
HeyThereItsMe

Post by HeyThereItsMe »

Ccleaner is supposed to clean all the cookies, that's what the program is for. I have EVERYTHING selected in ccleaner when running it meaning I want it to delete everything it can find.

Do you have the most up-to-date version of ccleaner? Maybe they don't know how to work with the current cookie file which is in cookies.sqlite. Cookies.txt is no longer used.

I think this is the issue, ccleaner doesn't delete .sqlite cookies yet. I'm posting about this on their forum right now.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Ccleaner will leave certain cookies alone if you set it to do that. You can tell it what cookies to leave behind.
HeyThereItsMe

Post by HeyThereItsMe »

http://i40.tinypic.com/dcysw.jpg

Look, I said I selected EVERYTHING didn't I? Look at the above picture before mentioning my ccleaner settings again. I've been using ccleaner for years and this problem started happening just a few days ago, before that it would delete all the cookies but now it doesn't. It's possibly because ccleaner doesn't clean these new cookies.sqlite yet but it's definitely not because of the settings I'm using. Thanks anyway but please stop repeating the "maybe it's your settings" argument, it's not helpful.
Heliopolis

Post by Heliopolis »

I can confirm this issue, but not sure how to fix. I don't think it is related to CCleaner other than it allows you to see the cookies. I believe Firefox is re-creating the cookies or entires for the cookies when it re-loads.
Muffinz

Post by Muffinz »

I can do a ctrl + shift + esc in firefox and run ccleaner, and some of my cookies will still remain. (IPboard forums and Myspace). I just think it's annoying that an option in firefox, made to delete all my browsing history, does not do what it's supposed to do.
eschenzweig

Post by eschenzweig »

I had exactely the same problem, but the posts in this forum solved my problem. The solution is really quite easy although nerving... just manually search with the normal (windows) search tool for the cookies.sqlite file and delete it (or them). (make sure mozilla is not running while attempting to delete).
You could also check you macromedia/flash folders for supercookies.

However most of the time you have to do things manually since NO programm can remove ALL the various cookies. I am also using ccleaner, BetterPrivacy and other computer-cleaning tools: non is perfect....
AngryFirefoxUser

Post by AngryFirefoxUser »

I'm having the exact same problem and it's very annoying because I'm trying to protect my privacy. I delete cookies in options, clear everything in recent history, and also have Firefox delete everything when it closes. I then run Disk Cleanup, remove everything and then use CCleaner, remove cookies and other stuff. After that I restart my computer and the damn cookies are still there. Also every single thing I mentioned is up to date. Nothing, no nothing can fix the problem. Abandon all hope! I'm thinking my computer is infected and that neither AVG Free and Ad-Aware can detect the virus.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Maybe your cookies.sqlite file is corrupted. Delete it from your profile (with Firefox closed). You should then have zero cookies.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

Do you have the TACO extension (Tools > Add-ons > Extensions)?

Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out (TACO) https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/11073
This tool sets permanent, generic, non personally identifiable opt-out cookies in the user's browser, which will prevent 90 different online advertising networks (including Google, Microsoft and Yahoo) from displaying highly targeted advertisements using the detailed information on users' web surfing habits which they collect.

Unlike other earlier opt-out solutions, this tool will make the cookies completely persistent. That is, clearing the browser's cookies will delete all other installed cookies, except these.

Users wishing to delete these 100+ cookies (some advertising networks require multiple cookies, for different domain names) must first remove the add-on, before then deleting all installed cookies from the preferences window.