MozillaZine

Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
Hybrid

User avatar
 
Posts: 210
Joined: December 3rd, 2003, 12:29 am
Location: /usr/src/linux

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:39 pm

kerz wrote:c0Ld, your account has been suspended for one week.

jason


Thats a bit excessive. Yes we all know you have mod powers but banning a user for being tactless is a little overboard, maybe a PM would have sufficed. I guess you missed w3bst3r post as his was much worse then anything c0ld posted...perhaps you should review your decision...

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:41 pm

I hope my disagreement with the new theme does not get my account disabled for a week, but I feel I must voice my <general> agreement with those who feel this is a big step back and doesn't make much sense.

I fully agree with whoever said that standardizing on a theme designed for mac, on windows, so it can be cross-platform etc etc while the mac user base is so small yet ff is geared to the mass audience etc etc you would think it would just make much more sense to adopt the standards of the largest install base and not those of the smallest. I agree that the Pinstripe theme on Mac is a thing of beauty, but it just doesn't fit on Windows. Yes, I know, I can change the theme, and no, I was not the biggest fan of Qute either (for various reasons, the throbber primarily), but I think the DEFAULT theme should "not be ugly". The first thing I thought of after installing this latest version was, "man I hope there are some other themes out that work with 0.9.... sheesh..."

I completely think that someone needs to design a theme based on the XP Icon standards, make it open source, and then use that as the default.

Anyway, again, I hope disagreement doesn't get squelched by locking everyone who disagrees account.

esavior

User avatar
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:41 pm

While I do agree with your point about w3bst3r, one thing c0ld did that he didnt was continue to make flaming posts. Web made one really random post. I also want to point out kerz warned twice.
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...

Myzar
 
Posts: 14
Joined: April 30th, 2004, 3:01 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:43 pm

tmeader wrote:IE's icons SUCK. People use it because it ALREADY THERE.
Give users a LITTLE credit... please.


eeeww more than this .... i doubt it..

I like firefox, i respect the developers and all the hard work involved in this project but that doesn't change the fact the this winstripe theme is ugly just face it..

jreyst

User avatar
 
Posts: 165
Joined: November 5th, 2002, 10:42 am
Location: USA

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:43 pm

I agree with Hybrid. Suspending the accounts of people who disagree seems rather draconian and makes people with differing opinions want to just say screw it and leave FF entirely if all they are going to get is suspended for disagreeing.

Lost User 23429
 
Posts: 0
Joined: December 31st, 1969, 5:00 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:44 pm

tmeader wrote:..snip.... People use it because it ALREADY THERE. ...snip....

That is an important point which emphasizes the importance of the "Theme".

But, I am going to get today's nightly and test it as always......happy testing all.

shadytrees
Moderator

User avatar
 
Posts: 11743
Joined: November 30th, 2002, 6:41 am

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:47 pm

You don't have to download a recent nightly to get the theme (and that's probably in your best interest, because of the API changes). Download the classic.jar that Jack provided and replace the one already in your program folder's (not profile) chrome folder.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jessica.da ... lassic.jar

kerz
mozillaZine Admin

User avatar
 
Posts: 1799
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 2:04 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:47 pm

w3bst3r, your account has also been suspended for one week. I've given two warnings to be civil. Swearing and screaming is not going to be tollerated, reguardless of what your opinion is.

jason

tmeader
 
Posts: 434
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:48 pm

Those who keep saying that they are standardizing on a Mac OSX look... have you seen the theme?

"Derived from Pinstripe" and "a duplicate of Pinstripe" are two VERY different things. I think it is EXTREMELY beneficial to have standardized symbols which now mean the same on all platforms. All the Mac OSX icons are flat black, on raised buttons... this obviously is not the case with Winstripe... therefore it is not a "Mac theme". However, it is nice to see that the reload icon is universally the circular arrows on both platforms (ie, the same symbol), instead of a tilted piece of paper with a sort of horizontally rotating arrow as Qute used. Likewise, the stop icon (however, as I've mentioned in another thread, this should be changed to not be an actual stop sign, since that has zero meaning in many countries), is now the same SYMBOL... whereas before it was another slanted piece of paper with an X on it.

What it boils down to is that Winstripe IS a unique theme, but one that bears similarity to the theme of the other platforms. This argument that it's a Mac theme on a Windows platform is just not valid.

Lyx
 
Posts: 82
Joined: July 29th, 2003, 5:10 am
Location: Germany, Sachsen

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:50 pm

okay, i almost never change "themes" in apps or use skins. Icons and stuff usually just should be descriptive, not take up too much screenspace and fit in a little bit.

I'm using dark-colors for my desktop because to me it just seems more easy for my eyes. Qute did look okay on my desktop. I cannot say that i loved it, but it was "okay".

However, this new winstripe theme..... i dont know how to explain the obvious! Really, i'm speechless. I'm not against using a new theme, but if THIS theme or just something similiar makes it into the release, then firefox will become the only app on my system where i will install a different theme. I would even prefer pinstripe to winstripe on my >windows< box.

- Lyx

rgw
 
Posts: 54
Joined: November 4th, 2002, 6:18 pm
Location: Fayette, Alabama, USA

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 2:52 pm

hao2lian wrote:
If you put the winstripe home icon and IE home icon side-by-side, it is obvious that winstripe is not even attempting to follow any part of the winxp look.

Colors used in both: red, white, some orange. All that's missing is the perspective. Your point?
If it was so dang important to follow the Apple UI guidelines, then why is it not important to follow the Microsoft UI guidelines?

Because there are none?


Hao2lian, MSDN has a few guidelines...one of the MSDN articles on icons has been flashed on this discussion about once a page. Also, the icons look nothing alike...don't play semantics.

tmeader
 
Posts: 434
Joined: May 3rd, 2004, 10:30 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 3:00 pm

rgw, hao2lian wasn't playing semantics, he's stating the facts. The "home" icon uses the exact same colors, and fails only in that it's not 3D, which, by the way, if you read that Microsoft doc, it's debatable as to whether or not the Home icon should be 3D anyway.

I get that everyone loved "Qute", but I've never seen so much close mindedness to a change in my life. I refer everyone to the link posted earlier of the first versions of Qute... THAT was garbage. Did it improve... yes... by leaps and bounds. And it became a great theme. Why everyone seems to think that this new one will stay in the "awful" state everyone seems to think it's in is beyond me. Even the name change to Firefox didn't generate this much discussion... and people HATED that. Now, 5 months later no one even cares. With 1.0 about 4 months away, and given the guaranteed improvements in Winstripe, I'm betting the same will happen with this.

steppenwulf241

User avatar
 
Posts: 91
Joined: November 13th, 2002, 12:46 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 3:04 pm

Hybrid wrote:Thats a bit excessive. Yes we all know you have mod powers but banning a user for being tactless is a little overboard, maybe a PM would have sufficed. I guess you missed w3bst3r post as his was much worse then anything c0ld posted...perhaps you should review your decision...

Perhaps, perhaps not... but at some point the riot-police need to be dispatched. Glad to see ya Kerz.

Myzar
 
Posts: 14
Joined: April 30th, 2004, 3:01 pm

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 3:05 pm

tmeader wrote:rgw, hao2lian wasn't playing semantics, he's stating the facts. The "home" icon uses the exact same colors, and fails only in that it's not 3D, which, by the way, if you read that Microsoft doc, it's debatable as to whether or not the Home icon should be 3D anyway.

I get that everyone loved "Qute", but I've never seen so much close mindedness to a change in my life. I refer everyone to the link posted earlier of the first versions of Qute... THAT was garbage. Did it improve... yes... by leaps and bounds. And it became a great theme. Why everyone seems to think that this new one will stay in the "awful" state everyone seems to think it's in is beyond me. Even the name change to Firefox didn't generate this much discussion... and people HATED that. Now, 5 months later no one even cares. With 1.0 about 4 months away, and given the guaranteed improvements in Winstripe, I'm betting the same will happen with this.


yeah i just learned that i can just overwrite classic.jar with one from an older build and get rid of that crap so now i'm happy and i don't care anymore , but you'll scare new users away with this new theme

Aqua.

User avatar
 
Posts: 489
Joined: March 5th, 2003, 4:38 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post Posted June 7th, 2004, 3:06 pm

Actually, the Qute icons are fairly close to the MSDN guidelines.
Faster than a three legged squirrel

Return to Theme Development


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests