Thunderbird Multiple Local Folder

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
minsalat

Thunderbird Multiple Local Folder

Post by minsalat »

Hi Folks,

I have my Local folder size on 10GB it has not any issue now but I would know if there is any limited folder size.

I wold know as well if is there a way to get Multiple Local folder path in my profile " Can I have/see two local folder in my profile?".

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
tanstaafl

Re: Thunderbird Multiple Local Folder

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird

The limit is 4GB per folder. Local Folders is an account, not a folder.

Thunderbird only supports one Local Folders account. Why do you want two?
minsalat

Post by minsalat »

Thanks for your reply.. Ill try to explain my idea I wish split the folder in two parts & organize them for years. for ex.

Account Local folder no.1 (path d:\local_folder_1)
- FY 2008
Account Local folder no.2 (as archive) (path d:\local_folder_2) the bigger than no.1
- FY 2007
- FY 2006

I would like have both open in my profile...in this way when you need re-create the user profile "for some issues reasone" the local folder does not take much time for opening because they are smaller.

thanks.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Why not just create a archive folder in local folders, which has child folders for each fiscal year that you want to archive? Thunderbird supports that, and it would be just as fast.

You could also export the older fiscal year folders as mbox files using the ImportExportTools extension, delete the original folder, and import the folder/mbox file again if you ever need to access the folder. Thats not as convenient, but if you have lots of folders you want to archive and you rarely need to access them it might be better. It would also allow you to store the archived folders on a CD or DVD rather than your hard disk, and/or to zip them to reduce space.
ebbtide

Post by ebbtide »

I have this same need for multiple Local Folders accounts. I have my personal account, which I want a Local Folders for, and I have an account that a group of 3 people work within, and I want a Local Folders' for that, which we can all point to. This is a team of people answering questions and sharing this account.

I don't want the group to "see" my personal Local Folders, and I want us all to see the group account Local Folders'.

The only solution I can figure is pointing my Local Folder path to my personal Local Folder, then resetting this Account Setting, when I want to look at the group email Local Folders'. Not the prettiest, so do you know of any other way to do this?

-Erin
edwardb

Post by edwardb »

Hi,

Yes, I too would like multiple Local Folders, for similar reasons to ebbtide - so a group of people can share a common set of emails.

Regards

Ed
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The ideal solution is to use IMAP accounts with public folders. That would let you have one set of personal folders and any number of shared folders.

Post by Guest »

Traditionally I used Local Folders to archive old email folders, as described in the Mozilla Knowledge Base article on Local Folders: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Local_Folders

Now, I find I am managing several email accounts in my thunderbird. They are all my accounts, not shared with anyone else. The same Knowledge Base article suggests I can use a Global Inbox in my Local Folders, and so it also makes sense to put all my folders under Local Folders, rather than arbitrarily under one of my other accounts.

So, I want to implement two of the uses for Local Folders as discussed in the KB article. Seems that the current implementation only allows me to do one at a time.

I am tempted to try out the hack for removing local folders (also mentioned in the same KB article), but doing it in reverse, and trying to implement two local folders.

Another workaround would be to create a "dummy" account that doesn't actually connect to any mail server, but is just used to archive old messages.

The only other workaround is to put my archived folders under a top level folder under Local Folders, say "ZZ Archive" so it appears at the very bottom and out of the way.

Even lowly M$ LookOut has a way to archive email and still have it accessible.

Mike
mvanderv

Post by mvanderv »

OK, turns out this is eminently doable. I have to manually edit the prefs.js file and basically duplicate the lines for local folders and create a new account called "Archive". Works like a charm. I should write a little script to do this automatically.

Mike

Post by Guest »

mvanderv wrote:OK, turns out this is eminently doable. I have to manually edit the prefs.js file and basically duplicate the lines for local folders and create a new account called "Archive". Works like a charm. I should write a little script to do this automatically.
Mike

Indeed, you should, and you should share it with all of us :wink:
or at least publish a little tutorial here, i.e. exactly which lines in prefs.js need to be duplicated and edited.

thanks!
klaus

Post by Guest »

I would like to create multiple local folders too, - 'nough said. Does anyone actually know how to do this?
270kdi

Post by 270kdi »

have a look at the addon LocalFolder

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/thunderbird/addon/90003/
max4redzebra

Post by max4redzebra »

Fabulous add-on! Exactly what I need. Local Files on my laptop, and Consolidated Local Files on the network server in the office. Just the bees knees. Never lose or overwrite again.!
Mark Neyhart

Post by Mark Neyhart »

Here are the lines to add to prefs.js in order to add an additional local folder. This assumes that two accounts (local folders and imap/pop3) are currently defined. This works with Thunderbird 2 running under Linux.

user_pref("mail.account.account3.server", "server3");
user_pref("mail.accountmanager.accounts", "account1,account2,account3);
user_pref("mail.server.server3.directory", "/home/mark_n/MailArchive");
user_pref("mail.server.server3.hostname", "Archive");
user_pref("mail.server.server3.name", "Archive");
user_pref("mail.server.server3.type", "none");
user_pref("mail.server.server3.userName", "nobody");
bbcfbi

Post by bbcfbi »

Thanks Mark Neyhart.
It is working now!