Another default theme coming

Discuss application theming and theme development.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

Very nice. Im alot more confident this theme will work after seeing that. If he can get a theme so fitting OSX then i guess he just needs some time to do the same for XP just as you say. Will be alot of work i imagine
esavior

Post by esavior »

Yes, I have faith that these people can get the icons to look perfectly with XP, just not by 0.9 release... assuming 0.9 isnt going to be delayed for another month. They have done great work in the past and will do great work in the future. We just need to give them time, its unfortunate that a unfinished theme is going in at a milestone but its not our decision. Lets stop bickering about this and (grab our guitars and sing kumbiya) work on making suggestions on making this new theme better than qute was! Its time to move on...
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
djst

Post by djst »

shorlander wrote:To be very clear: it is not finished. Not even close I would say. It had to go in now, so what we had finished we used. We would have liked to have time to finish but that wasn't an option.

It would be very interesting to know why it had to go in so soon? We have a much more finished theme already available in Qute, which has undergone countless of improvements since Firefox 0.8. Why couldn't Winstripe wait until 1.0 Beta for example?
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

djst... very good question.
slang123

Post by slang123 »

esavior: That is the best post ive read all day, i couldnt agree more. As for winstripe, im thinking that download icon is not obvious enough, evertime i see it i have to work out what it is
esavior

Post by esavior »

Slang123 might I suggest making that suggestion <a href="http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=82732">here</a>
Mindjunk
I didn't hear no bell...
steppenwulf241

Post by steppenwulf241 »

tve wrote:...Well, I would agree, but I would also think Ben knows better. He got flamed for every big change, but in the end he always seems to be right. So I think it's also safe to trust him on this one. ;) 0.9 will be a beta build. 1.0 is what matters. And the theme will undoubtedly improve a lot until then. And looking at Kevin's other works I'm quite sure you won't see anybody complaing about Winstripe in a month.

I hope so :-) I know this is being cranked out by the visual ID team - and their work has kicked a** in the past, so there's no reason that it shouldn't with this as well. I just have more misgivings, I guess, about 'trusting Ben'. He appears to be adamantly opposed to 'wiggle room' reguarding his decisions - and I only say this is a minus because I know that no one is perfect. We all make mistakes. And changing the theme like this, at such a late stage, in the manner that it was done, seems troubling.

I think the theme issue will blow over well enough, one way or another. It would be my hope that Arvid would either contribute to the new theme (which is understandably unlikely) or that he would release his theme license as per earlier request, and it could be modified to make all parties happy. It's just evident that this 'transition' has been in the works for quite some time. (read Asa's blog - also it takes time to build a theme, and the new default is already highly complete, if not polished) Why was Arvid never told? Why was the community who works and contrubutes to the project never informed (Im talking about code-contributors. All of us seem to have been equally blindsided by this - and no, I am not personally a code-contributor) And, finally, why - when many take issue to the change - do their misgivings fall on deaf ears?

I know there has been controversy on earlier topics - but the opinions have not, I don't believe, been so lopsidedly... reluctant... to embrace said change. If Arvid released his theme, would It change matters? It should - but unfortunately, I dont think it would...

As I said earlier, Im sure all will work out for the best. This trend, for myself, is just a little dissapointing. :-/
fittysix

Post by fittysix »

What iv'e seen of the theme, i don't like it
will it get better? i hope so (imho it better)
look of a browser is very important, when i first started using mozilla and saw the "netscape 3" look.. i almost deleted it (if i remember correctly i saw a few screenshots and wouldn't download it, then i saw an orbit screenshot and downloaded it to find the old theme, whcih is how i found out about themes)

The problem i see with doing this for "brand identity" is that it's happening so late in development. The change from firebird to fox wasn't taken well by alot of people, but most understood it as a necessary change so it was accepted as a Good Thing™
I think firefox has made leaps and bounds for gecko, the popularity has increased and continues to do so despite being pre-1.0 software.
I read many reviews of firefox when 0.8 was released, almost all commented on the prefessional look of the software (essentially the theme). Changing the look (a major part of identity) can do nothing but destroy browser identity, especially to those who have been reading reviews of firefox and looking at screenshots.
If I were a firefox developer* i would rather work this out with arvid than change such a major element as the theme, and virtually the UI since themes have so much power over the overall look of the browser (how big the toolbar is etc..)

*which i'm not, so whatever descision they make is their descision to make

edit:
also, i would like to say, as a dialup user that doesn't use the default theme, i think at the very least (since i don't see them changing it back) both themes should be included
Last edited by fittysix on June 7th, 2004, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piel

Post by Piel »

jreyst wrote:I agree with Hybrid. Suspending the accounts of people who disagree seems rather draconian and makes people with differing opinions want to just say screw it and leave FF entirely if all they are going to get is suspended for disagreeing.

Sounds very Republican to me: "if you're not with us, you're against us"

makes perfect sense.
staticfish

Post by staticfish »

I just want to say this is probably the worst theme i have seen in my life. please dont tinker with the old theme, it was just taking shape too

Please... the new theme is fugly as hell
"There is no limit to the size of the universe, and human stupidity, and i'm not even sure about the first" -Albert Einstein
mconnor

Post by mconnor »

better GNOME integration (including use of stock images from the theme) is something that will be present in 1.0

as for making the change now, 0.9 is "feature-complete" as a release, cleanup and polishing is the last thing to do. Changing at beta instead of at 0.9 is even more likely to cause a major controversey.
Nitin

Post by Nitin »

Piel wrote:
jreyst wrote:I agree with Hybrid. Suspending the accounts of people who disagree seems rather draconian and makes people with differing opinions want to just say screw it and leave FF entirely if all they are going to get is suspended for disagreeing.
makes perfect sense.
What are you two talking about?
Who was suspended because of disagreeing and not because of using irresponsible language?
Piel

Post by Piel »

staticfish wrote:I just want to say this is probably the worst theme i have seen in my life. please dont tinker with the old theme, it was just taking shape too

Please... the new theme is fugly as hell

I could not agree with you more. Is there a way we can create a petition of some sort to encourage Arvid to continue developing his theme? I mean even as a 0.1, this is just buffungly. #-o
Piel

Post by Piel »

vfwlkr wrote:
Piel wrote:
makes perfect sense.
What are you two talking about?
Who was suspended because of disagreeing and not because of using irresponsible language?

Just that it seems to me right now that the admins and devs don't want to hear what they don't want to hear.
tmeader

Post by tmeader »

No Piel, that's how you are taking it... both of the people who got suspended were due to the fact that they were asked to watch their language, and their overly agressive words. They did not, thus they got suspended. There's no "conspiracy".

If it were about the admins and devs not wanting to hear what they don't want to hear, do you honestly think this would be approaching 35 pages?

Come on.